An Old School Catholic Message Board

Clergy misbehaving

penitent60

A local scandal involving a bishop has resulted in his resignation to the Pope  being offered and accepted. My questions are....do the clergy have vows when ordained, if they do  how are they generally interpreted. In this particular case, the scandal is not criminal but morally abhorrent. Does this mean the culprit goes away for a period and then resumes priestly duties elsewhere? 

Edited by penitent60
Shpelinng

4 hours ago, penitent60 said:

A local scandal involving a bishop has resulted in his resignation to the Pope  being offered and accepted. My questions are....do the clergy have vows when ordained, if they do  how are they generally interpreted. In this particular case, the scandal is not criminal but morally abhorrent. Does this mean the culprit goes away for a period and then resumes priestly duties elsewhere? 

Diocesan clergy make promises of celibacy and obedience to their ordinary (typically a bishop). Honestly the outcome could go either way depending how abhorrent and publicly known the act(s) were. But my understanding is that a priest who did something scandalous, but not criminal, is unlikely to be laicized against his will - unless a child has been conceived. In that case I believe it's pro forma.