An Old School Catholic Message Board

Le Barroux for Anglos

Count Claydus

Count Claydus

Does the Benedictine monastery of Le Barroux  in France allow Americans to enter their community? And if they do are you required to speak fluent French first?

I don't really know how anyone intending to spend the rest of one's life in a community where one doesn't know the common language can seriously think s/he will be able to fully participate in the life of that community.

I've never heard of the monastery in question, but I know of several contemplative communities (of women) in Europe who have quite an international membership. This can actually be a problem (adressed in Cor Orans), when an ageing community tries to ensure its survival by "recruiting" young women from abroad.

Claydus wrote about not being fluent in French initially, I assume he'd start improving his French immediately if things were getting serious with that community. So getting into contact with them is probably a good idea, not just because of the language question. If it turns out to be "your" community and they want you to have good French before you enter, you'll have plenty of motivation to get there :)