An Old School Catholic Message Board

PRAYER REQUEST

BarbTherese

Once this episode has run itself out and I can be sure of it, my GP is arranging free (what we in Australia call bulk billing) appointments with a psychologist who treats her patients by bulk bill if necessary.  I see my GP on Monday and will book then another appointment in a few days, so she can keep tabs on where I am with the episode and advice if necessary.  She is experienced in mental illness matters - and why I chose her.  She bulk bills also.  Turns out she wasn't on leave at all (this episode has been a comedy of errors - misinterpretations and misunderstandings , but thankfully to The Lord not ALL the time :)  - I know only too well the thing that is behind it all and like the cunning sneak it is, while my psychiatrist IS on leave).

ANXIETY

Catholic Education Resource Centre  (CERC)

Author: FR. JOSEPH ESPER

At times I find Catholic Resources too long and labored to read beginning to end, unless I skim and it seems worth the labour. 

However, this article, I was glued to the page from its first sentence (underscored below)and it’s content until the end, I didn't even realise I was at the end so engrossing was the article .thttps://www.catholiceducation.org/en/culture/catholic-contributions/anxiety.html 

Excerpt "Some saints were as prone to worry and anxiety as the rest of us are. But, by placing their trust in the Lord's presence and care, they were able to overcome their fears..................There's a saying that "Courage is fear that has said its prayers." Prayer is indeed the key to overcoming or coping with anxiety, for it reassures us of God's presence and reminds us of our need to rely on His strength, not on our own. As St. John Vianney said, "God commands you to pray, but He forbids you to worry." ..........(If anyone knows where we are COMMANDED not to worry, please point it out to me.  I cannot recall it, doesn't mean it does not exist.  Asking (request not command) or forbidding not to fear is something else to me than a command).....................

..........."This attitude of confidence applies even to our encounters with evil, for St. Teresa of Avila notes that every time evil spirits fail to terrify us or dissuade us from doing good, "they lose strength, and the soul masters them more easily. If the Lord is powerful and they are His slaves, what harm can they do to those who are servants of so great a King and Lord?" Nothing can happen to us without our Father's knowledge and permission, and He is able to arrange all things for our good. We, for our part, however, must avoid useless speculation; as St. Francis de Sales tells us, "It will be quite enough to receive the evils that come upon us from time to time, without anticipating them by the imagination."

According to St. Jerome, facing our fears and doing our duty in spite of them is an important way of taking up our cross; thus, we can reassure ourselves that in our efforts to be brave, we are actually serving Christ.

advice of St. Francis de Sales: "If you earnestly desire to be delivered from some evil, or to attain to some good, above all things, calm and tranquilize your mind, and compose your judgment and will; then quietly and gently pursue your aim, adopting suitable means." Jesus offers us His peace; if we accept it and use His grace, nothing shall overcome us.

"Anxiety is the greatest evil that can befall the soul sin only excepted. . . . When our heart is troubled and disturbed within itself, it loses the strength necessary to maintain the virtues that it had acquired. At the same time, it loses the means to resist the temptations of the enemy, who then uses his utmost efforts to fish, as they say, in troubled waters." St. Francis de Sales

Edited by BarbaraTherese

There was so much in the Anxiety article below, I had to stop myself from highlighting all of it - and all formatting, highlighting etc. are mine.  Big recommendation to read the article in full in my estimation.  Unusually for CERC, it is not very long at all.

My keyboard is different spacing from a typewriter keyboard (in the workforce, I would not accept a position unless I had an IBM Typewriter (curved keyboard)........oh yeah, and also unless I could smoke............ and this computer keyboard is driving me nuttty. (discalimer :whistle:)

Also @dUSt a bit of a longer time to edit would be great, Boss.  My problem is that I keep hitting wrong keys (touch typist), so my computer follows the wrong key instructions and confuses me no end with what suddenly pops on my computer cutting down on my edit time while I try to work it out.  I know that it is operator error, but if you would very kindly, most kindly, wonderfully and beautifully, compassionately and with your stunning compassion and understanding, your endless heroic mercies ......   do indeed overlook my problem and extend a bit  the time to edit....say 20 seconds or even more, Boss, plus what is allowed now........I j will increase my monthly donation PROVIDING that I CAN get what I want. 

With all honesty, please don't put me back in my rightful box.  I have phobias and am absolutely neurotic about being enclosed within border, compartments, rules - jut about anything. :beg:

Does flattery PLUS  bribe get me what I want, Leader Most Excellent? Will crying do it:  :cry4: Oh Fearless Leader, I know in your great mercy you tolerate fools,,,,,,,,,,,how about if I have another go at it stretching your toleration just a tad :blowkiss:...........................though it got me nowhere ever before ..........

THE EDIT KEY TIME ALLOWANCE IS TOO                                    FLAMIN SHORT, DUST

I started out with another great day, glad to be alive..............and then this twit (me this time) comes along and stuffs it all up.  Anxiety hits and begins increasing...........so half another Oxazepam again and in half to three quarters of an hour, drop a bomb in my yard and I would not care a hoot.  I keep a record of all times when and why, I took emergency emergency medications, which are Oxazepam for anxiety, iBuprofen and Tramadol for pain.  I take my record with me to both GP and my psychiatrist.  The former are emergency medications (PRN's in medical terms) I hold personally - outside my Webster-pak..  My chemist organises the  Webster-pak (The Multi Dose Webster-pak is a sealed weekly calendar pack designed to help people take their medication correctly, according to their doctor's orders. All regular medication that needs to be taken each week is sealed within the blister compartments. The Webster-pak is designed to be as simple as possible. http://www.webstercare.com.au/carers-frequently-asked-questions.html

We are The Church Militant on earth(Faithful Catholics who are active in struggling to bring about change on many fronts, according to their general and personal vocation from God).  As The Church Militant on earth we are called to Mission.  The Holy Mass (missa in Latin)  translates  " comes from the ending of the Mass in Latin, "Ite, Missa est." This means "Go, you are sent." "Missa" is the root word meaning "sending" ...........paraphrased from: https://aleteia.org/2017/08/24/why-do-catholics-call-their-main-church-services-mass/

From The Holy Mass we are sent out (Ita Missa Est 9latin0at the end of Mass = "Go you are sent") into the world to engage with evil in all its forms ("I am sending you out as sheep into the midst of wolves")  each one according to their General and Individual personal vocation or call from God.

We are engaged as The Church Militant on earth with a continual second, minute, hour, day, years - lifelong - battle between Good and Evil in all its forms where sin is on the side of Evil; battles we can either win or loose.  But the war is a foregone conclusion and will be won with The Return of Jesus.  Our mission is one of conflict and battle until then.  The Holy Spirit, the Gift of Jesus to us to the Glory of The Father, One God Amen. will provide all our needs in all things, including rest and consolation, Peace and Joy etc.  But like the apostles, we cannot set up permanent camp on the mountain of The Transfiguration.  We are called to leave the mountain and return to the battle.  Soldiers of Christ.  In my generation, we were taught that at Confirmation we became fully Soldiers of Christ, sort of our Final Profession in the Laity.

I think our young ones especially would be absolutely charged up, fired, and eager to dive into such a challenge, such a great adventure.  In fact, the greatest adventure on earth any human being could ever live on earth - transcending, supplanting, any earthly quest imaginable.............the call and Grace from Jesus to be.....................

"Behold, I am sending you like sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd  as serpents and simple as doves.

But beware of people, for they will hand you over to courts and scourge you in their synagogues" (or in our day it means to persecute in some way), Matthew Ch 10 VATICAN BIBLE TRANSLATION HERE

(shrewd is a very interesting word indeed to thoroughly reseach)  I feel that our young ones would also be empowered and motivated, fired up, by the element of danger and threat.  I know that I would have been for sure in my long ago youth - and in some ways took it all on board when I was confirmed because "Soldier of Christ" fascinated me.  I don't hear the description nowadays related to Confirmation - or at all whatsoever.  Always I am very much aware that my experience is of necessity limited experience.

For all those with a dream that life and the journey, the bumps, hills and mountains cannot eradicate......rather they give hope and power to the dream, a motivation to stay strong and ride out all and any storm as one can with prayer and one's hand in The Hand of Jesus, The Man who calmed the storm .............this is a perception and understanding which this world finds sheer madness, insanity, crazy and preposterous - even delusion..........Time Magazine in the 70's sometime I think it was: "In an insane world, the sane will be called insane"........sometimes truth indeed must struggle to be heard and is opposed and persecuted.........and on many fronts.

Two song videos follow:

1. I DREAMED A DREAM (from Les Miserables)

2. PUT YOUR HAND

IN THE HAND OF

THE MAN FROM GALILEE  

Edited by BarbaraTherese

If you happen to read this sentence, a prayer would be very much appreciated.  Thank you and prayer for you, yours, and your own intentions.................

Saturdays are traditionally devoted to Our Lady

(after "Bring Flowers of The Rarest" is a really beautiful rendition of "Amazing Grace")

Then Johnny Cash singing "Old Rugged Cross"

..........and in a real change of mood...............

I asked my daughter if she’d seen my newspaper. She told me that newspapers are old school. She said that people use tablets nowadays and handed me her iPad. The fly didn’t stand a chance. https://short-funny.com

Police officer talks to a driver he has stopped: "Your tail light is broken, your tires must be exchanged and your bumper hangs halfway down. That will be 300 dollars."

Driver: "Alright, go ahead. They want twice as much as that at the garage." https://short-funny.com