An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pope Francis

KnightofChrist
1 hour ago, Peace said:

They really ought to rename this website the "anti-FrancisSiteNews" or something.

45 minutes ago, Josh said:

54708525_Screenshot_20191113-1453372.png.07e3244a7838c387f6032c74e381cb7d.png

Should go with or add poopy pooper dooper smelly head dorky nerd four-eyes lameo or something. That's the kindergarten playground way to easily dismiss people. 

2 hours ago, KnightofChrist said:

Should go with or add poopy pooper dooper smelly head dorky nerd four-eyes lameo or something. That's the kindergarten playground way to easily dismiss people. 

I'll tell you what. If you can come up with 3 legitimately nice things to say about Pope Francis, I will watch your new video.

@Josh At least one thing I can respect about you is that your concern about this sexual abuse scandal seems legit. Let's keep it real. A whole lot of these Trad folks are only "committed" about the issue so that they can attack a pope that they view as liberal. It seems like hypocrisy to me because they are consistently going after Pope Francis with respect to the issue, but had almost nothing to say and still have almost nothing to say when it comes to all the more "conservative" folks who proceeded Pope Francis. That is just my two cents on it.

KnightofChrist

Users are free to actually respond to the substance of the video report or not. Users are free to watch the video report or not. 

Users are also free to read the same report in the article below, or not. 

----

Cardinal pressured bishops to stay quiet on abuse case so as not to harm Pope’s image

November 12, 2019 (LifeSiteNews) — Today is a very special episode of the John-Henry Westen Show. We have documents and testimony directly from two Bishops and a Cardinal admitting to refusing to issue a public statement supporting a clergy sexual abuse victim for fear of tarnishing the reputation of Pope Francis.

Recent hearings at the UK government-established Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse (IICSA) has elicited testimony from two bishops replete with incriminating evidence on Cardinal Vincent Nichols, the Archbishop of Westminster and President of the Catholic Bishops' Conference of England and Wales. Nichols was made a Cardinal by Pope Francis in 2014.

Both Portsmouth Bishop Philip Egan and Northhampton Bishop Peter Doyle testify that Cardinal Nichols cajoled them into refusing to issue a statement in support of a known victim of sexual abuse who was being disparaged in Catholic media as non-credible and her claims as “fantastical.” Cardinal Nichols, the bishops testify, warned that any public statement issued by the bishops in support of the abuse victim would be used to bolster attacks on Pope Francis.

Continue Reading on LifeSiteNews (aka Anti-FrancisSiteNews because it reports on testimony from a public inquiry on coverup of sexual abuse to protect image of Francis) here: https://www.lifesitenews.com/mobile/blogs/cardinal-pressured-bishops-to-stay-quiet-on-abuse-case-so-as-not-to-harm-popes-image

KnightofChrist

In US Bishops’ Debate, Archbishop Chaput Defends Prioritizing Fight Against Abortion

Posted by Matt Hadro/CNA on Tuesday Nov 12th, 2019 at 4:26 PM

USCCB approved a letter to supplement their voting document on Tuesday — but not without controversy over the ‘preeminent priority’ of abortion.

BALTIMORE — The U.S. Catholic bishops approved a letter to supplement their voting document on Tuesday — but not without controversy during debate on the “preeminent priority” of abortion.

During discussion at the bishops’ annual fall meeting in Baltimore on a letter to accompany the bishops’ document on voting, “Forming Consciences for Faithful Citizenship,” the bishops considered whether to include an entire paragraph from Pope Francis’ 2018 apostolic exhortation on holiness, Gaudete et Exsultate.

Bishop Robert McElroy of San Diego said that paragraph should be included to make clear that Pope Francis prioritizes other issues at the same level as abortion.

The U.S. bishops’ inclusion of the word “preeminent” before mention of abortion in another part of the letter, he said, “is a statement that I believe is at least discordant with the Pope’s teaching, if not inconsistent,” and one that “will be used to, in fact, undermine the point Pope Francis is making.”

“It is not Catholic teaching that abortion is the preeminent issue that we face in the world of Catholic social teaching. It is not,” Bishop McElroy said, adding that to teach otherwise would provide “a grave disservice” to the faithful.

After Bishop McElroy spoke, Bishop Joseph Strickland of Tyler, Texas, said, “I absolutely think ‘preeminent’ needs to stay.”

Archbishop Charles Chaput of Philadelphia rose to say that he did not oppose the inclusion of the full statement of Pope Francis and added that teaching that abortion is a “preeminent” issue is not contrary to the magisterium of Pope Francis.

Continue Reading: http://m.ncregister.com/daily-news/in-us-bishops-debate-archbishop-chaput-defends-prioritizing-fight-against-a

So I guess my question is at this point: Is there 100% conclusive evidence that Pope Francis knew of pedophiles and covered for them? If not 100% what percentage would you say the likelihood that he knew and made efforts to protect the guilty?

Also what are the percentages on past Pope's? Is there any 100%'s with them?

1 hour ago, Josh said:

So I guess my question is at this point: Is there 100% conclusive evidence that Pope Francis knew of pedophiles and covered for them? If not 100% what percentage would you say the likelihood that he knew and made efforts to protect the guilty?

Also what are the percentages on past Pope's? Is there any 100%'s with them?

You can't underestimate the capacity for denial for some people.  Some of the popes could have 100 people tell them it happened, unless they see a video or something,  they choose not to believe it. It's extremely unlikely they didn't know  at least of the accusations.

Like, when Pope Francis said he didn't know about the accusations about McCarrick... I'm sorry. It's extremely difficult to believe. I, as a teenage nobody whod been in the church all of 1 year, knew about those rumors when I was in college in DC, 15 years ago. 

Possibly PF is doing some jesuitical mental reservation to justify himself saying that and it not being a lie. Eg maybe he tells himself, I heard about the abuse of seminarians but not of kids, therefore I can say I didn't hear about it. Idk. It was extremely disheartening when he refused to answer the accusations from the Vigano (sp?) person, like he wanted the press to dig in case there was something that compromised deniability. And then after a year when nothing turned up, then he finally said "I knew nothing", which is just really, really hard to take.  

7 hours ago, Lilllabettt said:

You can't underestimate the capacity for denial for some people.  Some of the popes could have 100 people tell them it happened, unless they see a video or something,  they choose not to believe it. It's extremely unlikely they didn't know  at least of the accusations.

Like, when Pope Francis said he didn't know about the accusations about McCarrick... I'm sorry. It's extremely difficult to believe. I, as a teenage nobody whod been in the church all of 1 year, knew about those rumors when I was in college in DC, 15 years ago. 

Possibly PF is doing some jesuitical mental reservation to justify himself saying that and it not being a lie. Eg maybe he tells himself, I heard about the abuse of seminarians but not of kids, therefore I can say I didn't hear about it. Idk. It was extremely disheartening when he refused to answer the accusations from the Vigano (sp?) person, like he wanted the press to dig in case there was something that compromised deniability. And then after a year when nothing turned up, then he finally said "I knew nothing", which is just really, really hard to take.  

I dunno if rumors from The Tombs really make it up to the Vatican like that though. I have been in the DMV since 2013 and didn’t hear of that until the news broke, and I know of plenty of solid Catholic guys in the area that never knew anything either.

Ya’ll crew must have been into all the gossip. J/K

It wouldn’t surprise me if Pope Francis didn’t actually know, but he should have known and that is a big enough failure in his part. I think it is pretty incompetent at best. Haven’t any of these folks heard of vetting? Heck I’ll do it for them if they pay me.

But if Francis gets put on the hook for it, what about the pope who named him a cardinal, and what about the pope who supposedly put him on “leave” or whatever? I don’t think it is fair to put everything on Francis when this guy has basically been living on easy street the past 20 years.

37 minutes ago, Peace said:

I dunno if rumors from The Tombs really make it up to the Vatican like that though. I have been in the DMV since 2013 and didn’t hear of that until the news broke, and I know of plenty of solid Catholic guys in the area that never knew anything either.

Ya’ll crew must have been into all the gossip. J/K

It wouldn’t surprise me if Pope Francis didn’t actually know, but he should have known and that is a big enough failure in his part. I think it is pretty incompetent at best. Haven’t any of these folks heard of vetting? Heck I’ll do it for them if they pay me.

But if Francis gets put on the hook for it, what about the pope who named him a cardinal, and what about the pope who supposedly put him on “leave” or whatever? I don’t think it is fair to put everything on Francis when this guy has basically been living on easy street the past 20 years.

Well, sure, let's think of JP2. He's a saint and also refused to believe anything he was told about McCarrick or Marcel Maciel, who was truly a demonic evil doer in the church par excellence. You could give the excuse, well, he was far gone in his Parkinsons, he was out of it. But there are many instances besides that of Ratzinger trying to punish pedos and JP2 thwarting him. Ratzinger comes out smelling the best of the 3 popes of my lifetime, because almost immediately after he was elected the scum finally started getting cleaned out. Starting with Marcel, for example.  But even he lacked the... human indignation to say, you're a sicko, I'm locking you down a dark hole and throwing out the key. Idk why not. He was kind to the pedos, tread softly as he laicized them at breakneck speed. Then he quit. Why? He couldn't get his arms around it? Is the church just too big for one guy at this point? I'm not trying to go there - but he seems to be enjoying a comfy retirement surrounded by books and cats? 

I don't know why these guys don't get it. Like, what's missing in their human understanding.  I will say, the brotherhood among priests is super strong, stronger than that among soldiers, or cops. Maybe that loyalty to each other rather than to us is the problem.  Maybe it's the catholic tradition of avoiding detraction and rash judgment.  Maybe it's that the vast majority of priests break their vows at some point or another, and so they look at these pedos and think "there but for the grace of God go I"