An Old School Catholic Message Board

Today's Debate on Catholic Answers Forums: Is Saying The N Word A Sin?

11 minutes ago, Ice_nine said:

why, you think it's a sin? Do you listen to hip-hop lol

You don't think it's a sin? Depends what kind of Hip-Hop you listen to. Catholic and Christian Hip-Hop you're not going to hear it. As far as black people using it I think it's different. They switched up the meaning and took ownership of it. But even then I've heard a lot of black people who are against it being used by black people. I think it's 100% off limits for white people. You don't think?

4 hours ago, Josh said:

To bad there wasn't a poll. Scary.

Screenshot_20191030-155000~2.png

Screenshot_20191030-155016~2.png

Screenshot_20191030-155027~2.png

Screenshot_20191030-155034~2.png

And the original poster here and the replies are probably talking about using it with the "er". Both types are off limits but the er is straight up hate. And the fact every poster doesn't condemn it or the question is even asked is pretty messed up. I mean it's a Christian site. And you wonder why African Americans don't convert. Like w t f ?

10 minutes ago, Josh said:

I mean it's a Christian site. And you wonder why African Americans don't convert. Like w t f ?

*Catholic site (and apparently the church Christ established and there is no salvation outside of)

Edited by Guest

5 hours ago, Josh said:

To bad there wasn't a poll. Scary.

Screenshot_20191030-155000~2.png

Screenshot_20191030-155016~2.png

Screenshot_20191030-155027~2.png

Screenshot_20191030-155034~2.png

The catholic answers site is not the best place to hang. It's a huge site and there are all kinds on there. But not many I've found that are on fire for the Lord + educated on the truth. Or they don't seem to be.  A lot of hobby Catholics imo vs conversion of life Catholics.  Not bad people but not always getting the point of the Gospel. 

With the nword, I've never said it in my life. And, my parents were on the racist side - but even they taught us that word was beyond the pale. But I've been around others that have used it and didn't challenge them. So, I'm guilty. But it's the racism that's the sin, not the word itself. Racism is an objective mortal sin. 

Using the N word as a form of racism is definitely a sin. I guess I'd have to figure out the context of the question better. Sin is very specific and the question is very vague.

I think that any word at all that another (one's neighbour in Gospel terms) finds offensive and/or insulting(form of violence) is objectively a moral wrong.  Motivation has to be taken into account however and there the subjective enters into the situation for the offender.

"'Amen, I say to you, whatever you did for one of these least brothers of mine, you did for Me.'" Matthew Ch25......and of course the contrary applies i.e. whatever you did to one of these....etc

23 hours ago, Josh said:

You don't think it's a sin? Depends what kind of Hip-Hop you listen to. Catholic and Christian Hip-Hop you're not going to hear it. As far as black people using it I think it's different. They switched up the meaning and took ownership of it. But even then I've heard a lot of black people who are against it being used by black people. I think it's 100% off limits for white people. You don't think?

And the original poster here and the replies are probably talking about using it with the "er". Both types are off limits but the er is straight up hate. And the fact every poster doesn't condemn it or the question is even asked is pretty messed up. I mean it's a Christian site. And you wonder why African Americans don't convert. Like w t f ?

*Catholic site (and apparently the church Christ established and there is no salvation outside of)

I don't think a white person should say it in polite company. But you asked generally is it a sin? And then clarified that to mean just white people.

Context is everything and yes the race you happen to be and the races that you are speaking with are a huge part of that context, but I don't think it's a sin automatically, no. With ill intent, sure, or with ignorance maybe.

So off limits for white people, yes in general sure. Since it is offensive to a huge swath of people, one should refrain, but rapping along to a song by your favorite rapper in your car? Probably not. Maybe in some cases.

I listen to a lot of hip hop and other media that uses the word so it's become part of my mental vocabulary, but I know not to go around saying it.

24 minutes ago, Ice_nine said:

Context is everything and yes the race you happen to be and the races that you are speaking with are a huge part of that context, but I don't think it's a sin automatically, no. With ill intent, sure, or with ignorance maybe.

So off limits for white people, yes in general sure. Since it is offensive to a huge swath of people, one should refrain, but rapping along to a song by your favorite rapper in your car? Probably not. Maybe in some cases.

I listen to a lot of hip hop and other media that uses the word so it's become part of my mental vocabulary, but I know not to go around saying it.

I get what you're saying. The word used with the "er" should never be used except in rare cases. Maybe like a teacher or someone teaching history. And even then it's a close call and might be weird. I saw this guy on Facebook telling history or something and typing it  repeatedly and it didn't feel right. But yeah anytime it's used casually with the "er" 99% of the time it's going to be used in a racist way. I think we all agree on that. If not correct me whoever disagrees.

As far as using it with the "a" it's debatable depending who you ask. I agree about being alone or whatever having it in your mind/saying it rapping along to songs. I'm guilty. If you know the Christian rapper Sevin he uses it in his songs. He's black. But yeah obviously non blacks will probably recite it rapping along.

I know a lot of mainstream rappers don't think non blacks have a pass even when rapping along. But then you have legends like Nas who are cool with it. As far as just talking in convos I don't think people have a pass to use it with the (a). And if you do prepared to get jacked in the face if you say it in front of the wrong person. Same goes for rapping. Eminem has never used it. And never will. 

As far as this poster on Catholic Answers maybe he was referring to it with the (a) and talking about songs and similar media. But then again seeing the post's I've seen there in the past I'm leaning more towards he meant it with the (er) and that's what people were replying to. And if that's the case it's a crazy question. The n word with a er is one of the most hateful words you can use. Racism and hate will send you to hell. And there are some Catholics and Christians who are in grave danger. Ones that can tell you all about Fatima ect while reminding you if you're white not to marry a black person. 

Edited by Guest

I agree with you Josh that even to ask this question is crazy. Simple common sense for someone living in America posting on that website. I'm really not sure why anyone would have to ask whether or not it is a sin while even referring to it as  "the N-word." That suggests that they already know the answer.

Edited by Seven77

It’s a contemptuous term for a black or dark-skinned person, not worth repeating. 
use of which is a racist hateful act, in of its self

Edited by little2add