An Old School Catholic Message Board

Saint Monica was black. Not white.

Why is everyone so het up over colour or ethnicity? Your skin is simply a bag so your dribbly bits........don't dribble all over the floor. I am far more interested in what sort of person you are....kind or not..that sort of thing.

6 hours ago, penitent60 said:

Why is everyone so het up over colour or ethnicity? Your skin is simply a bag so your dribbly bits........don't dribble all over the floor. I am far more interested in what sort of person you are....kind or not..that sort of thing.

It affects Evangelization when everyone is depicted as pale white. If you don't know who Lecrae is Google him. Here's lyrics from his song Facts.

"And I love God
I love Jesus, the one out of Nazareth
Not the European with the ultra perm and them soft eyes and them thin lips"

Screenshot_20191110-161003~2.png

Edited by Guest

Depictions of Jesus - or anyone else, for that matter - are not a good reason to join a religion, leave a religion, put faith in a person as the Son of God, or as a savior. 

Religion, faith, salvation, etc. are larger than cultural identification. 

2 minutes ago, Luigi said:

Depictions of Jesus - or anyone else, for that matter - are not a good reason to join a religion, leave a religion, put faith in a person as the Son of God, or as a savior. 

Apparently not so important in the past, although such a biggie in this modern, progressive world. Are people such infants now they can only identify if someone is as they are? Dear God in heaven I get cross over this....next there will be a thread on what language is spoken in heaven....when I KNOW Jesus speaks with a good Australian accent (come on.... this is a joke)

4 hours ago, Luigi said:

That's cool. Go find a way to tell African Americans and Lecrae they're being unreasonable. Make sure you're real specific and detailed when telling them why their thinking is wrong. Also explain to them why there are no African American Saints in the Catholic Church.

4 hours ago, penitent60 said:

Apparently not so important in the past, although such a biggie in this modern, progressive world. Are people such infants now they can only identify if someone is as they are? Dear God in heaven I get cross over this....next there will be a thread on what language is spoken in heaven....when I KNOW Jesus speaks with a good Australian accent (come on.... this is a joke)

Or maybe people have different struggles and experiences than you. Maybe you should listen to them and their point of view before instantly disregarding them and their point of view as a joke.

Edited by Guest

4 hours ago, penitent60 said:

Are people such infants now they can only identify if someone is as they are?

Were people infants back then when almost all the art was made to depict everyone as pale European Caucasians? 

Edited by Guest

10 hours ago, Luigi said:

I agree but I would not downplay the importance of images. The Holy Spirit calls people into the Church in many ways and perhaps for some it is through images. Our Church has a long history of teaching the faith through images.

If tomorrow 99% of the newly created images of our Lord were a black man, white people would take an issue with it. We would not be hearing all this "Kumbaya. How he is portrayed doesn't matter" stuff. Let's keep it real here folks.

11 hours ago, penitent60 said:

Apparently not so important in the past, although such a biggie in this modern, progressive world. Are people such infants now they can only identify if someone is as they are?

Remind us again about the good old days when no one cared what anyone looked like or their skin color.

Screenshot_20191111-071203~2.png

FB_IMG_1573485924430.jpg

Edited by Guest

St. Benedict the Moor: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benedict_the_Moor

St. Martin de Porres: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_de_Porres

St. Josephine Bakhita: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josephine_Bakhita

Augustine Tolton (cause for canonization in process): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Augustus_Tolton

Henriette DeLille (cause for canonization in process): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Augustus_Tolton

AbigailGermaine

Just saw this today and had to comment....

first of all, St Monica and St Augustine were Berbers, so they probably did look more arabic. St Athanasius, in the other hand, was called d the Black Dwarf by contemporaries, so I'm certain he was black. 

Art does matter... but especially in the US. As a Southern woman who is Melungeun, and therefore is forced to identify as Caucasian even though I'm not, because I'm not black,  I vote for portrayals of Jesus and Mary as white, black, asian, arabic, latino..... Let's take a hint from all of the apparitions of Mary-- Rwandan, Japanese, Spanish, Indigenous South American, etc. 

we have a very nice brown Jesus on a crucifix from Africa in our living room beside O L of Lourdes. 

don't forget that this is a Catholic (universal) church!

st Martin Dr Porres, pray for  us! 29c5bf1b-38fd-4792-a9e6-a81d00e79c4a.jpg

2 hours ago, AbigailGermaine said:

Just saw this today and had to comment....

first of all, St Monica and St Augustine were Berbers, so they probably did look more arabic. St Athanasius, in the other hand, was called d the Black Dwarf by contemporaries, so I'm certain he was black. 

Art does matter... but especially in the US. As a Southern woman who is Melungeun, and therefore is forced to identify as Caucasian even though I'm not, because I'm not black,  I vote for portrayals of Jesus and Mary as white, black, asian, arabic, latino..... Let's take a hint from all of the apparitions of Mary-- Rwandan, Japanese, Spanish, Indigenous South American, etc. 

we have a very nice brown Jesus on a crucifix from Africa in our living room beside O L of Lourdes. 

don't forget that this is a Catholic (universal) church!

st Martin Dr Porres, pray for  us! 29c5bf1b-38fd-4792-a9e6-a81d00e79c4a.jpg

I'm commandeering your post to hijack and derail this thread.

St. Martin most likely looked like this recreation based off his cranium.

image.png.48a31a9de5c808469518d56eb546d7eb.png

Comparison with a reported contemporary portrait

image.png.b5ddd65b718a78053f14b8f264230a9b.png

that being shown, my favorite depiction is the following, even though it looks nothing like the purported likeness above.

image.thumb.png.b55f5adc0ced82817f7b8b675e26ba98.png

and I will conclude with what is most likely the correct way to depict St. Kateri, which is far different that the Pocahontas clones she is often depicted as. 

image.png.524e4771201cdb31d88c71f2353bc6d7.png

Vivat Christus Rex!