An Old School Catholic Message Board

Visit went well

CatherineM

Our visit went well. I got to try out my horrible Spanish since the Pope doesn’t speak English. Here’s the interview my husband gave afterwards. EWTN

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 4:22 AM, CatherineM said:

Our visit went well. I got to try out my horrible Spanish since the Pope doesn’t speak English. Here’s the interview my husband gave afterwards. EWTN

I have hear Pope Francis speak in English before

On 11/17/2019 at 3:47 PM, nikita92 said:

I have hear Pope Francis speak in English before

We were told not to expect it. I once saw him quoted that he just never acquired the ear for it. To be honest it was very okay with me that he didn’t speak English with us. It was the first time I got to have a conversation with someone where my husband couldn’t interrupt. Maybe he sensed that. Plus, he seemed irritated that my husband kissed his ring. 

4 hours ago, CatherineM said:

Plus, he seemed irritated that my husband kissed his ring. 

Was wondering if his disgust towards that practice was real or just trad hysteria.  

On 11/20/2019 at 5:49 AM, Lilllabettt said:

Was wondering if his disgust towards that practice was real or just trad hysteria.  

It isn't about him, the faithful are honouring his OFFICE.  Back in the day where I could kneel and kiss the bishop's ring I did. Look at what Philipinos do....they kneel and kiss the hands of a priest or raise them to their foreheads ( I forget which) . It is a very OLD and devout display of love by the people. Maybe instead of insulting his office he might be less loutish and offensive in his behaviour.

Edited by penitent60
spelling

1 hour ago, penitent60 said:

It isn't about him, the faithful are honouring his OFFICE.  Back in the day where I could kneel and kiss the bishop's ring I did. Look at what Philipinos do....they kneel and kiss the hands of a priest or raise them to their foreheads ( I forget which) . It is a very OLD and devout display of love by the people. Maybe instead of insulting his office he might be less loutish and offensive in his behaviour.

Idk, he doesn't have to like getting his hands kissed.

But it's uncharitable to make guests feel awkward or embarrassed. Based on a number of reports that could be an area for growth for PF. 

27 minutes ago, CatherineM said:

One of the Chamberlains said it was a spreading germs issue. He doesn’t want someone to get sick doing it. 

Yeah ... the charitable thing is just to accept that explanation... it's hard to do. Anyway, he shouldn't be making people feel bad for doing it ... offer it up, man. But, we all have faults. JP2 needed glasses but they went away after he was elected Pope. Vanity, most likely.  We all have faults.