An Old School Catholic Message Board

Dioceses accepting 'older' vocations?

nowak.chris

I was an active phorum participant about ten years ago, including here in Vocation Station.

My activity dropped off due to attempts at discerning a vocation -- first in a Cistercian Monastery (since closed, sadly) and then a number of years with a diocese. While things didn't work out (obviously), I cannot escape the call...

I am taking a few years to heal from this last round of discernment, but I cannot avoid the local diocese's roll-out of a capital campaign for vocations over a six+ month period.  So I am starting to look around at where my future could possibly lie.  Unfortunately, this diocese has an age cap (35) which I have already passed, let alone in 2-3 years time.

Does anyone know of any US dioceses that are currently accepting older vocations?

Thanks!

Edited by nowak.chris

Sponsa-Christi

Sometimes even dioceses with a stated upper age limits will make exceptions if a man is an otherwise good candidate for priesthood. It might be worth getting in touch with the Vocations Director and just explain your story and see what he says. From what I know, I think dioceses in general are more open to discerning with a man who is a few years over the age limit but has a personal connection to the diocese, than they are to discerning with men who went "shopping" and are only contacting their particular dioceses because of their higher age limit.