An Old School Catholic Message Board

Long Island Catholic diocese sues to end Child Victims Act

...........which goes to prove one can find logical sounding reasons for most anything at all and at any time..........

"If the world hates you, realize that it hated me first.

If you belonged to the world, the world would love its own; but because you do not belong to the world, and I have chosen you out of the world, the world hates you.   Remember the word I spoke to you,  'No slave is greater than his master.' If they persecuted Me, they will also persecute you. If they kept My word, they will also keep yours.  And they will do all these things to you on account of My name, 9 because they do not know the one who sent Me."   (John Chapter 15)  http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0839/__PXN.HTM

Persecution of some kind, including by words alone, is almost a badge of the discipleship of Jesus.

46 minutes ago, BarbaraTherese said:

Persecution of some kind, including by words alone, is almost a badge of the discipleship of Jesus

Might be misunderstanding your post but are you saying you think those Facebook posts are persecution?

3 minutes ago, Josh said:

Might be misunderstanding your post but are you saying you think those Facebook posts are persecution?

I am not a member of Facebook and refuse to be one - hence I am unable to read the posts to which you might be referring, Josh.  All I can read is what you have posted.

Can a person or persons be persecuted by the written word alone? Yes, I think that they can.  

I thought that the concluding words of Cappie's homily for this week HERE are particularly apt:

"The words of Jesus spoken in Sunday’s Gospel are words meant for us today, not for some future time. “By your perseverance you will secure your lives." No matter what is happening around us, we are to remain strong in our faith in Christ. We are to trust in the Lord’s promises."  

Also, the concluding words (as well as the whole video HERE) of the youtube video I posted by Bishop Barron are also particularly apt for us today.  If our faith is in the human element of The Church, we are probably bound to stumble and fall.  We have to ask ourselves, "Where is my Faith?" in the human element or in Jesus who promised that "the gates of Hell will not prevail" (Matthew Ch 16) against His Church.

I have been unable to read the Facebook comments, but from what I have been able to read, the Long Island diocese suit is bound for failure - and so it should!

No problem. Wasn't sure if I understood you correctly. The first comment I believe was by a Catholic. The second by a former Catholic woman with a bunch of little kids. I don't find the comments offensive at all. I actually agree with most of it. I get what you're saying how you couldn't read everything. I will check the material you posted when I have some time. Thank you. God Bless.

God bless you and yours also, Josh. 

https://www.catholiceducation.org/en/religion-and-philosophy/spiritual-life/the-church-will-become-small.html

"CERC Catholic Education Resource Centre.  Pope Benedict in his book Faith and The Future:...........

"The church will become small and will have to start afresh more or less from the beginning.

She will no longer be able to inhabit many of the edifices she built in prosperity. As the number of her adherents diminishes . . . she will lose many of her social privileges. . . As a small society, [the Church] will make much bigger demands on the initiative of her individual members....

It will be hard-going for the Church, for the process of crystallization and clarification will cost her much valuable energy. It will make her poor and cause her to become the Church of the meek . . . The process will be long and wearisome as was the road from the false progressivism on the eve of the French Revolution — when a bishop might be thought smart if he made fun of dogmas and even insinuated that the existence of God was by no means certain . . . But when the trial of this sifting is past, a great power will flow from a more spiritualized and simplified Church. Men in a totally planned world will find themselves unspeakably lonely. If they have completely lost sight of God, they will feel the whole horror of their poverty. Then they will discover the little flock of believers as something wholly new. They will discover it as a hope that is meant for them, an answer for which they have always been searching in secret.

And so it seems certain to me that the Church is facing very hard times. The real crisis has scarcely begun. We will have to count on terrific upheavals. But I am equally certain about what will remain at the end: not the Church of the political cult, which is dead already, but the Church of faith. She may well no longer be the dominant social power to the extent that she was until recently; but she will enjoy a fresh blossoming and be seen as man's home, where he will find life and hope beyond death."

Edited by BarbaraTherese

Sorry, Josh, but what is the "anonymity judgement"?  I did try to research the term, but nothing came up.  It may be a term adopted in the broader context of what you posted.

My position is that nothing whatsoever should prevent a child (or any victim of any kind of crime) from speaking up - and that cover ups, including those in The Church, must end.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2019/05/catholic-church-sex-abuse-pope-francis/589243/ ........."............This is the greatest cultural shift in the Church: Where Catholic leaders once sought to cover up abuse in a dangerously misguided attempt to protect the Church, the pope himself has now demanded the opposite...."............

http://w2.vatican.va/content/francesco/en/motu_proprio/documents/papa-francesco-motu-proprio-20190507_vos-estis-lux-mundi.html

APOSTOLIC LETTER
ISSUED MOTU PROPRIO

BY THE SUPREME PONTIFF
FRANCIS

VOS ESTIS LUX MUNDI

“You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden” (Mt 5:14). Our Lord Jesus Christ calls every believer to be a shining example of virtue, integrity and holiness. All of us, in fact, are called to give concrete witness of faith in Christ in our lives and, in particular, in our relationship with others."

Edited by BarbaraTherese

17 hours ago, BarbaraTherese said:

This is the greatest cultural shift in the Church: Where Catholic leaders once sought to cover up abuse in a dangerously misguided attempt to protect the Church, the pope himself has now demanded the opposite...."...........

That's cool. Yet as the article I posted reveals the Church is still trying to shut victims up to this very day. That's vile and sick. I'm a piece of s h I t with the bad stuff I do. But I will be d a m n e d if I ever let this Church make me feel despair of my sins again. Make me believe in messages that threaten to burn me in hell forever for sinning against chastity once and not making it to Confession before I die even though I tell God sorry. I will continue to go to Mass and Confession and share the faith the best I can. But my faith is 100% in Jesus and what he did for me on the cross. I'm SAVED BY GRACE THROUGH FAITH AND NOT BY WORKS DARE I BE TEMPTED TO BOAST.

God Bless Barbara. Have a great Sunday. My anger is in no way directed at you.

Edited by Guest

18 hours ago, BarbaraTherese said:

Sorry, Josh, but what is the "anonymity judgement"?

It's all in the article I linked. You don't have to belong to Facebook to read it. You just click on it. The anonymity judgement was a ruling against the Church trying to force the victims to go public. To discourage them because a lot of/most victims don't want everyone knowing this happened to them. They don't even want their family and close friends knowing. Can you blame them?

Edited by Guest

God bless you also, Josh.  Thank you for the underscore that any anger on your part is not directed at me personally - Josh, I never felt that it was.  In fact, I share your anger and revulsion.

22 minutes ago, Josh said:

Yet as the article I posted reveals the Church is still trying to shut victims up to this very day. That's vile and sick.

This has to stop and I think it is what an awful lot of angry Catholics want stopped, rather demand (and rightfully and virtuously) that it be stopped.  Ours is a "righteous anger".  Pope Benedict in his book Faith and The Future reminded us of what some bishops were doing on the eve of the French Revolution: " The process will be long and wearisome as was the road from the false progressivism on the eve of the French Revolution — when a bishop might be thought smart if he made fun of dogmas and even insinuated that the existence of God was by no means certain"  

Hence I am not surprised with the behaviour of some of our bishops and certainly do not condone such behaviour right up to the top.  Cardinal Pell here in Australia has been granted one last Appeal, result should be known early 2020.

26 minutes ago, Josh said:

I'm a piece of s h I t with the bad stuff I do.

We all are in my book.  I now and then reflect on the words of Jesus "Father, forgive them for they know not what they do".  In my book we have no real understanding of what sin is - until I can call myself a load of s h i t, then maybe I have some little insight anyway. The first step in overcoming a problem is identifying that one has one.  I take comfort (and we all can) in that Jesus has said "The righteous have no need of Me, I have come for sinners".

30 minutes ago, Josh said:

But I will be d a m n e d if I ever let this Church make me feel despair of my sins again.

No one should ever despair of God's Mercy and The Church teaches this.  If the Love and Mercy of God is Infinite, how can finite creatures despair of it.

31 minutes ago, Josh said:

Make me believe in messages that threaten to burn me in hell forever for sinning against chastity once and not making it to Confession before I die even though I tell God sorry.

Whoever you heard the above from, Josh, was feeding you nonsense.  If we commit serious sin and tell God we are sorry and aim to confess it at our next opportunity, we are not destined for Hell.  I personally believe too that if one is in serious sin and repents of it and then dies, they would not go to Hell.  I am unsure of what The Church teaches about that so as to be able to state quite confidently what The Church does teach.***(I did a bit of research, Josh, and found the video below from Catholic Answers - and a good one to keep on file I think)

33 minutes ago, Josh said:

But my faith is 100% in Jesus and what he did for me on the cross. I'm SAVED BY GRACE THROUGH FAITH AND NOT BY WORKS DARE I BE TEMPTED TO BOAST.

Mine too. 

James Chapter 2 "What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him?

If a brother or sister has nothing to wear and has no food for the day, and one of you says to them, "Go in peace, keep warm, and eat well," but you do not give them the necessities of the body, what good is it?

So also faith of itself, if it does not have works, is dead.  Indeed someone might say, "You have faith and I have works." Demonstrate your faith to me without works, and I will demonstrate my faith to you from my works."

We are not saved by our works, rather we are saved by our Faith (works are a by product and incidental to Real Faith) but it has to be a Real Faith that is alive and active.......and not a dead faith.

17 minutes ago, Josh said:

It's all in the article I linked. You don't have to belong to Facebook to read it. You just click on it.

I can't read the article, Josh, it is whited out after the first few words.  I am certainly in favour of victims being able to fully protect their identity in every way.

*** I think that the key words in the video below are (paraphrasing) that Jesus instituted the Sacrament of Penance but that God and His Love and Mercy is not bound to and by His Sacraments.

8 minutes ago, BarbaraTherese said:

We are not saved by our works, rather we are saved by our Faith (works are a by product and incidental to Real Faith) but it has to be a Real Faith that is alive and active.......and not a dead faith.

Jesus did not incarnate without leaving commands and instructions by which He calls us to live out our journey.  He has told us much about the fruits by which we can be identified as well as criteria for being His disciple.

If my Faith is in Jesus can I then discard His Words, His commands and His instructions?