An Old School Catholic Message Board

Sisters of Maria Stella Matutina

StellaMaris

I am a brother of St John, in the midst of transferring from them to the Benedictines, in large part because of the spiritual abuse I suffered in my former community. I know the inside story of the Sisters of Stella Matutina, their background and formation, and have several contacts with those who know the community from within. My advice is to STAY AWAY FROM THEM! They present a beautiful exterior: pious, joyful, and faithful to ideals of religious life, but they come from a background of extreme disobedience, and they continue in this disobedience. The reason for their first split from the Sisters of St John is because they refused to recognize that the Holy See is the final arbitrer in questions of founding charisms of religious communities. They refused to accept that Rome, and their legitimately appointed superiors had authority over them. Moreover, when Rome (in what I see as an over-generous act of mercy) gave them permission to start a pious association of the faithful, they were specifically told that the four founding sisters of the Sisters of St John (Srs. Alix, Agnes-Marie, Marthe, and Isabella) were to be completely excluded from religious life or vows. The sisters of SM ignore this, and have allowed Srs Marthe, Agnes-Marie, and Isabella to find refuge with them and from what I understand, to wear the religious habit. They even went so far as to bury Sr Alix with full pomp and circumstance, in her religious habit, despite the fact that Rome had forbidden it. They started their rebellion in an act of disobedience and continue to be disobedient, although they do, as I say, like to appear pious and faithful. Religious obedience doesn't just pop into one's soul like Athena springing forth from the brain of Zeus... it has to be fostered and nurtured. These sisters wouldn't know obedience if it bit them! The fact that they are flourishing and have convinced some unwary bishops to accept them into their dioceses doesn't mean a thing. Look at their history, really look at it, and you'll know that it's better to stay away from them. God bless you in your discernment!

In complete agreement with the poster above. Unfortunately there isn’t a lot of accurate information available online in the English language regarding the founding history of this congregation, however there’s quite a bit in French, Spanish and Italian. Here is a link in English, and here is an excellent and detailed summary in French (Google translate offers a reasonable approximation) of the history and issues with this group. 

Frankly I would suggest that religious life is challenging enough in a community without a history of abuse, disobedience and manipulation, and I can’t imagine why a mature adult would even consider joining a congregation like this one.

It's all really strange. And I agree why would somebody join an order with all those very recent serious troubles. and disobedience to the church. But that any order would have 50 of 70 novices in this day and age is nothing short of amazing. I wonder if all these novices stayed in religious life. 

• 10 months later...

if you want information about this community, write to sr.anawim@gmail.com

I was a member of this community and I know the truth, please do not come in there. look for another community.