An Old School Catholic Message Board

Mantilla

dominicansoul

dominicansoul

I've been wearing a Mantilla off and on throughout the years.  Recently, I've felt I'm not wearing it correctly.  Anyone out there know the proper way of wearing a mantilla?

1 hour ago, dominicansoul said:

I've been wearing a Mantilla off and on throughout the years.  Recently, I've felt I'm not wearing it correctly.  Anyone out there know the proper way of wearing a mantilla?

Uhhhhh how are you wearing it? Do you have a circle shape or rectangle?

dominicansoul

Well, I have a triangular one, and I was stopped and told by an elderly Religious Sister from Mexico that the point should be in front of my forehead!  I always thought the point goes to the back and the round part was on top of my head/forehead... 

Also, how do others keep it on their heads?  Mine slides all over the place... 

Traditionally, Spanish mantillas do have the point at the front. If you google images of them, you’ll see it being held up by a giant comb. I’ve heard this being used against those who do cover their hair as “they can’t even wear it right”. I think this is one of those things that it originated out of Spanish custom but became its own thing. Many mantillas could not be worn this way because they do not have a proper point. 

Honestly don’t worry about it. Now, for it not slipping. I had bought mine from Veils by Lily with the little clip sown in. It does not budge. I’m sure you could sew on a similar one if you wished. Otherwise, with a previous veil, I’d slip a bobby pin on each side, sort of behind the temple and above the ear, through the netting of the veil. Worked well enough. 

I've been feel more and more of a pull to start wearing one, but no one does around here. I think I've literally seen only 2 women in my diocese, who both weren't from around!

I have been wondering about the logistics of it all, so it's neat to read a bit more about it! Don't want to commit a huge mantilla/veil fashion faux pas when I finally build up enough courage to wear one ;p

KnightofChrist
11 hours ago, StellaMaris said:

I've been feel more and more of a pull to start wearing one, but no one does around here. I think I've literally seen only 2 women in my diocese, who both weren't from around!

I have been wondering about the logistics of it all, so it's neat to read a bit more about it! Don't want to commit a huge mantilla/veil fashion faux pas when I finally build up enough courage to wear one ;p

If you wear one you may find that doing so would give others the courage to veil as well. After all there may be other ladies who think "but no one else does."

16 hours ago, dominicansoul said:

On your big ol' noggin, duh...

AbigailGermaine

I've been wearing a mantilla for more traditional Masses and in chapel at the monastery for a while now, and never heard anyone say you should wear it with the point forward... But it does appear that that is the traditional Spanish way.... With a fantastically tall comb... Like this photo of Queen Sofia.

The manilla I use at home has a normal, flat hair comb sewed in the front, which works well, the one I use at the monastery I just pin on with Bobby pins (I get a tiny bite of hair, weave it up and through the veil, then back down into my hair..... Might not choose to do it exactly that way if it was delicate lace, but this is pretty sturdy polyester lace) 

That seems to be the way most US Catholic women are wearing theirs.... I don't know how one would keep it on the other way without the huge comb. I

But really, there is no 'right's way.... Just attach it to your head somehow....:hehe2:

I wear my triangular one with the point at the back. I've never seen anyone wearing one with the point at the front. I live in England, so perhaps it's a cultural thing?

I wear a hat. Do people think that's low class and/or not good enough. The trad dress codes and general attitudes towards dress trigger me tbh. I don't know how people have enough energy to make fashion choices. I basically just wear clothes so I'm not naked, and I wear a hat at mass because I think it covers the general spirit of veiling (actually covering your head) even tho it doesn't *look* like veiling per se.

Whoops I guess that's kind of a side rant.

9 hours ago, Ice_nine said:

I wear a hat. Do people think that's low class and/or not good enough. The trad dress codes and general attitudes towards dress trigger me tbh. I don't know how people have enough energy to make fashion choices. I basically just wear clothes so I'm not naked, and I wear a hat at mass because I think it covers the general spirit of veiling (actually covering your head) even tho it doesn't *look* like veiling per se.

There’s certainly weirdo places. But wearing a hat is certainly envisioned, and would have been the standard for much of the 19th-20th centuries. 

I was in one trad parish where several women had beautiful hats. Only thing with hats is that they shouldn’t be so big to block other people’s view or potentially hit them.  You get busybodies on either side of the question when it comes to wearing a head covering. 

On 11/28/2019 at 7:15 AM, KnightofChrist said:

If you wear one you may find that doing so would give others the courage to veil as well. After all there may be other ladies who think "but no one else does."

i agree.

especially with 

Yes, I remember it well, fondly!  Another thing that’s changed is the congregations attire.   Everyone wore there “Sunday best”.   ( unlike today)
I miss that time, people were more civilized that today. 

Edited by little2add

On 11/28/2019 at 11:02 PM, Ice_nine said:

Telling someone that they're veiling wrong or saying that wearing a hat isn't a good substitute for a mantilla strikes me as rude. Then you've got those who think that women shouldn't wear pantaloons or as they say in other parts of the world trousers at mass.

Once before mass I sat down in the pew and I heard a woman behind me say, "She should be kneeling." I was experiencing pain on that day. I later learned that I was vitamin d deficient and have fibromyalgia. I'm a young adult, so they might've thought that I was in good health. That's no excuse though.