An Old School Catholic Message Board

Mantilla

dominicansoul

no one ever said anything to me in real life. Just folks online have shown their general attitudes that they might not be so forward with in polite face-to-face dealings

dominicansoul

The other day, I was walking into church, and I realized I had put my lace dress slip over my head thinking it was my mantilla....(I hadn't done my laundry, and I had grabbed my slip by accident, off my bed thinking it was my black mantilla!)

I thought it was a bit too long!!! Glad I realized it before i looked even more ridiculous!

Not being Spanish, I wear my mantilla, to cover the hair. The point is at the back. I secure mine with a bobby pin or 2. With a nice LONG rectangular scarf I can tie a half knot, and throw the long end in a care free manner over my shoulder. Brooches can be useful too. My most recent lace chapel veil (presumably American) is a long tube.....stuck my head through and lifted the tube to cover my hair. If you get really OCD about the whole hair must be covered....muslim sites have neat same coloured hair bands like an alice band you tuck the fringe bits under and then pop the scarf over that, but the RCC has NEVER been quite that rigorous. Men NEVER wear hats inside the church. The priest may wear a biretta which I think is neat, when he doffs it when reading the epistle and gospel in the vernacular from the pulpit (Birettas are not worn during the Mass) prior to the sermon.

On 11/29/2019 at 6:02 PM, Ice_nine said:

I wear a hat. Do people think that's low class and/or not good enough. The trad dress codes and general attitudes towards dress trigger me tbh. I don't know how people have enough energy to make fashion choices. I basically just wear clothes so I'm not naked, and I wear a hat at mass because I think it covers the general spirit of veiling (actually covering your head) even tho it doesn't *look* like veiling per se.

Whoops I guess that's kind of a side rant.

I have worn a hat, but sadly I don't have the nerve to wear my akubra.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Catherine Therese

I only ever veiled as a postulant during my brief time in religious life (although I've been considering renewing that practice of late) but we wore the point at the back in the manner you have described. I always secured mine with a bobby pin... how you affix it using a bobby pin will depend on how you wear your hair, I'm guessing.