An Old School Catholic Message Board

Heatwave & Air Conditioners

BarbTherese

In Adelaide South Australia (also in New South Wales) from Tuesday 17th - Friday 20th December, we are going through a severe heatwave.  The forecast to Thursday is over 40 C degrees (104 F), while Friday is forecasted as 45.2 C or 113 F.  In consideration of all things re potential blackouts of power,  including people on life support devices, I came across this excellent article on the best air conditioner temperature, and other factors, during a heatwave such as we are experiencing in South Australia:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/2017/02/09/the-best-temperature-to-set-your-air-con-in-a-heat-wave-is-26-de_a_21711094/   Excerpt: "Instead of blasting your unit at an arctic 18 degrees C, the experts want to you set the dial to 26 degrees C. The reason why has nothing to do with individual comfort and everything to do with avoiding a catastrophic power outage that would plunge parts of the state into blackouts.........".........MORE on above link

(Following reliable type commentary on best air conditioner temperatures in all conditions can reduce the energy bill by up to 47%.)

Edited by BarbaraTherese

After a maximum of 41.7 (107.06 F) at 3.10pm yesterday (27C or 80F last night or hovering around that temperature). 

Today (Tuesday 18th December) at 1.10pm it is 43.4C or 110.12F in Adelaide Sth Aust.  A dramatic cool change will arrive late on Friday.

I am finding that my wall air conditioner on 26C keeps this family room and kitchen livable.  If it should get humid, my Kelvinator 5.2 Wall Air Conditioner on AUTO will select DRY and dehumidify.

If I put the portable pedestal fan on myself, 26C is almost cold.  I can see that ceiling fans for next year are a must to see a big reduction in the energy bill for one only.

I have lived through temps like that. The summer of 1980 in Oklahoma was brutal. Stay safe. I used wet wash rags put in the freezer to keep cool. 

Oh dear BT.....it is pouring with rain here and I put a cardi on. I love rain, I love green and I love flowing water.....I LOVE NZ.

Edited by penitent60
additions and subtractions

I hail from the northern part of New York State near the Canadian border, the temperature today is a high of 2° Fahrenheit.  I also have a foot of fresh snow on the walk and driveway that needs to be shoveled if I want to go anywhere today.  

do you want to trade?

Edited by little2add

Today, Friday 20th December:

45.8 C .............  114.44 F

17 minutes ago, little2add said:

do you want to trade?

Nah.  I prefer the heat to the cold by a long shot.  Though it is extremely hot here, it is a very clear heat and humidity has remained low.

My air conditioner means that inside it is only 25 degrees and I anticipated the heatwave and bought all I would need to stay inside for as long as the heat lasts.  Typically South Australia, when I wake tomorrow morning it will only be a forecasted 18.3 C.........64.9 F as the cool change sweeps across the state.

I feel for our wild animals and those experiencing bushfires including the environment.  Some rural areas are facing running out of drinking water.  I don't usually watch vet programs on TV but in changing channels happened across a vet treating a bulldog for heat exhaustion and I was drawn to the program.  She treated him for two days and when he did pass away, I cried.  He suffered terribly.

On a public affairs program, I saw an elderly woman too fearful of energy costs to put on her air conditioner or ceiling fan.  Last summer I had an electricity bill of $717 for 3 months.  I have now researched to ascertain the most economical air conditioner setting and decided to post the results for the benefit of others.  My electricity bill will come in very early February and I will post the results of following what has been recommended on the net to keep energy cost at a minimum.

The garden is a bit of a problem and it looks heat weary in the extreme...........but thankfully not dead and will revive.

My neighbour came over yesterday as her air conditioner installation is still to be approved.  I ordered in a pizza for dinner.  I have told her she can sleep overnight if she chooses and, of course, come over here again today.

Edited by BarbaraTherese