An Old School Catholic Message Board

Prayer Request - Sth Aust Bushfires

BarbTherese

For the first time in Australian history, 3000 reservists are being called up to assist in the bushfire response.  The navy is assisting in evacuations from New South Wales and Victoria.  There are drop off of supplies and picking up of refugees.

Australians in NSW and Victoria are opening their homes to refugees.  Some places have lost communication and power as well as sewerage.

In South Australia half of Kangaroo Island is on fire in an unstoppable bushfire racing across the island.  Two people have died.  Some wildlife rescuers are in tears.

Almost unbelievably some fires seem to have been deliberately lit.

The change in the weather which is coming through will only change the direction of the fire fronts.  Some places are as dark as midnight in the middle of the day. In other places an eerie orange haze.

It is felt that we have not as yet seen the worst of the bushfires.

Uplifting news: Online donation collection has collected $ 8 million for firefighters and volunteers ..............https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/this-is-terrifying-celeste-barber-raises-more-than-2-million-for-firefighters-20200104-p53or4.html

These fires can move at a very fast pace.  Embers in the wind with the south westerly change, is changing the direction of the fire fronts, as well as dry lightening strikes which are starting spot fires.  Some residents in some areas may want to leave but have left it too late.

In some places fire fighters are exhausted but relief is unable to access where they are located.  East Gippsland fire fighters are being assisted by 50 from the USA.  In east Gippsland in Victoria the missing have gone from 28 to 6; however, due to the nature and severity of the situation, these figures are fluid.  Maritime evacuations are occuring where refugees cannot be evacuated via air..........preference is always given to the sick and elderly as well as infants and children.

NSW faces mass losses of power due to the fires taking out two electricity substations.

It is a nightmare situation with some towns facing fire fronts north, east, west and south of their town.

Lord please hear our prayers and may Your Holy Will be done.  Amen.  It is so much easier to pray that God's Will be done in regard to oneself, than when others are in desperate need.

Edited by BarbaraTherese

Naturally, I have been closely following the bush fires in dear old Oz. A lot of family live in at risk areas. Hope you are staying safe BT and the air quality isn't just too horrific. I really feel for the asthmatics and those with respiratory conditions. I am especially glad that the volunteer firies have got funds coming in from the public and I HOPE the federal government and state governments pitch in.

australia-bushfires-eurovision-800x600.j

Thank you for your post, P60.  I am safe and the air quality is ok to date.  I am quite close to the CBD in Adelaide.  My son, his wife and her family are in Victoria and safe to date thankfully.  My ex husband and his wife are in Queensland and also very thankfully safe to date. I cannot quite believe what is happening in Australia, but of course it is happening.

The test will probably be once the immediate crisis is over and how much the government does give to enable people to get back on their feet.  It is a devastating time for those affected by the fires, terrible in emotional, mental, spiritual and financial cost.

Our wildlife and habitat are suffering dreadfully too.

Our firies and volunteers are absolutely heroic.  The Red Cross is now asking for money rather than donations of various items due to the difficulty of getting donations through to where they are needed.

One may not be able to give much, but every little would help - and a heartfelt prayer takes less than one minute.

Hi BT. Happy to hear the Red Cross is asking for financial support over and above physical items. I know when Christchurch had its horror of earthquakes...looters were stealing donated goods and raiding storage places. These sickos are worthy of being staked out on an ant hill naked but covered in honey under a good hot sun, not especially Christian in feeling I know but....same goes for fire bugs.

Thank you, P60.  Our bushfire victims are having problems with looters too.   Police are now patrolling affected areas due to the looting.

Arson is beyond my comprehension - the mentality of a person or persons who would light bushfires in our current conditions especially just defies my imagination even.

I was truly shocked by the Christchurch disasters and my heart went out to New Zealanders.

Both in New Zealand and here in the face of disasters, I am edified by the attitudes of those affected.

23 hours ago, penitent60 said:

A lot of family live in at risk areas

Apologies P60 - the above just registered with me.  I hope that your family is and will be safe.

Kangaroo Island:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcREgKXRpmdgqVqs-lmmTpk

Fires have jumped containment lines in Kangaroo Islands and homes and townships are at risk.

Fires were deliberately lit in the Adelaide Hills - put out by our firies.

Tomorrow and Saturday will be high risk in Victoria and New South Wales.

Fire hazards are threatening in Western Australia.

Cool change will come over tonight with some rain.  Not enough rain to put out bushfires however.  There will be strong winds presenting high risk for the bushfires, firies and volunteers.

Edited by BarbaraTherese

I hope that the developed economies especially takes note of the severity of natural disasters that can occur and due to the Australian bushfires.  Australia is seeing bushfires that are absolutely unprecedented.  These bushfires are an unnatural natural disaster.

Climate change does occur naturally, but in my book undoubtedly the human element has made climate change more rapid and severe than it could be.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2019-08-23/climate-retreat-planning-science/11435382

https://www.statista.com/chart/20387/recent-wildfire-events-by-acreage-burned/

20387.jpeg

I got all teary over these posts BT. Poor old OZ .....but she will be right mate, as the people help each other get up after this punishing round in the ring. There will be a royal commission into this I will imagine in order to see what can be done better for the future.