An Old School Catholic Message Board

Prayer Request - Sth Aust Bushfires

BarbTherese

Thank you very much for your kindness and thoughts, P60. :) 

The bushfires have been terrible and the severity a real shock.  But I think what has shone through it all is the Australian spirit to face what must be faced with a very active hope for the future and where to from here. 

The government has not made a firm decision as yet re a Royal Commission, but I think they will have no real option but to do so.  We can't say "never again" and so we must be prepared for any next time as a distinct potential.

A psychiatrist once told me that a loser says, if this does not work, nothing will.  A winner says, if this does not work, then I will try this or this or that.  Under those terms, I think Australians are very much winners.

Thank you again, P60, for your kindness and thoughts.........very much appreciated :) 

AUSTRALIAN BUSHFIRES

RECORD RAINFALL

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-17/nsw-weather-more-rain-and-storms-to-hit-on-weekend/11874360

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/jan/16/rain-brings-joy-to-farmers-in-nsw-and-victoria-and-dampens-some-bushfires-as-others-burn

"The NSW Rural Fire Service and Victorian Country Fire Authority said the rain they had received was not enough to put out existing fires.

A spokesman for the CFA said they had seen rain activity but “unfortunately it had minimal impact in suppressing the fire activity across east and north-east Victoria”.

“Although this rain won’t extinguish all fires, it will certainly go a long way towards containment,” the RFS said."

Time to give thanks as we continue to pray for bushfire ravaged areas.

r0_0_1920_1079_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

The drought's not over and our shire's farmers continue carting water and hand-feeding stock.

CatholicCare Wilcannia-Forbes CEO, Anne-Marie Mioche, is appealing to government and other support agencies to remember those still impacted by drought - even as tragedy and emergency do take their toll in other parts of the country.

"The bushfires have been disastrous and as a nation we held our breath at the threat and tragedy but we must not forget about the long slow burn of devastation still being caused by the drought which has crippled much of eastern Australia," Ms Mioche said. READ ON...

0124fire-Vinnies_Bushfire_Appeal-Vinnies

Vinnies:  All Donations will get to Affected Communities

More than One Billion animals have died in Australian bushfires:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTHvgRj5scUcSHARXwUb1K

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRYypNvNiA0ngJLcSkOPcP

• The bushfires in Australia are so big they have created their own weather systems.
  • The heat from the intense bushfires is creating massive, powerful clouds that lead to smoke-infused thunderstorms.
  • These storms can potentially spark new fires, conjure fire tornadoes and make fighting existing fires much more challenging.

Some areas are experiencing extremely high temperatures - in other areas heavy rainfall and floods

106322660-15783275812142020-01-04t062208

106324367-1578404505101screenshot2020-01

Has the Adelaide Hills area been affected by the bushfires? I am asking as there is a very good chance I shall be in Adelaide at the end of September and early October with a friend who has never been to Oz. Basically we will be there for the embroidery conference but hopefully will get in a bit of sight seeing. Possibly...we could meet somewhere for coffee??? Anyhow it is early days and a lot may happen. I think of SA as all desert but that is probably not quite true. Hope you are doing okay for the present BT. I am being a bit of a homie as the wind is horrible here....I hate the wind....all westerlies and it is pretty hot, up around the 30s (dont laugh too much ehh?).

On 1/31/2020 at 8:11 PM, BarbaraTherese said:

Yep it is raining in parts of Queensland with the usual flooding. Nothing like iron hard ground and water richoceting off it. Monsoon season seems to have been a bit of a fizzer this season...where are the cyclones????

Catherine Therese

It has indeed been a long time, BT - nice to speak with you again. I hope things have improved near you by now? 

Here in NSW the bushfires have likewise been incredibly challenging. I was driving near one of the fire fronts about a week ago and it started spitting the tiniest bit of rain... then I realised that the rain wasn't CLEANING the ash off my windshield - it was dirtying the windshield instead... the rain was mud-rain and it was manifestly unhelpful! 

The worst of the smoke haze has started to clear - occasionally still smells pretty smokey. The yellow glow that has been over everything since October has been downright depressing, and I'm glad we don't see it most days, now. I've got some friends who were miraculously saved, and I've got a mate who lost his home. 

My garden is entirely dead, and my car needs a wash sooooo desperately :) Very grateful that my family, in all the locations they live across NSW, have stayed safe. 

I hope you're keeping well during this difficult time! Prayers for SA assured.

Hi Catherine Therese! Praise the Lord you and yours are all good. I live in New Zealand now but I lived most of my life in Queensland. I moved over the ditch about 11 yrs ago when the entire eastern seaboard of Oz was in drought. It was horrible and as I love the sound of rain and the colour green NZ is the place for me. Do you know if NSW has built any desalinators? I know Qld did and was almost immediately  mothballed. I have been told it is working to capacity. I wish those who hold power would produce some plan for drought proofing the country a little better....what I am not sure, but the waste of water when the monsoons come in the north could possibly be captured in holding reservoirs down the Coopers Creek catchment before ending in lake eyre. Obviously, environmental concerns would need to be addressed as the flood waters are essential for the interior. I truly wish Cubbie Station was eliminated....Oz cannot support cotton farms period.  Australia has 10 deserts, it dont need anymore. Well CT I will get off my soapbox and wish you a pleasant day.

On 2/1/2020 at 7:22 PM, penitent60 said:

Has the Adelaide Hills area been affected by the bushfires? I am asking as there is a very good chance I shall be in Adelaide at the end of September and early October with a friend who has never been to Oz. Basically we will be there for the embroidery conference but hopefully will get in a bit of sight seeing. Possibly...we could meet somewhere for coffee??? Anyhow it is early days and a lot may happen. I think of SA as all desert but that is probably not quite true. Hope you are doing okay for the present BT. I am being a bit of a homie as the wind is horrible here....I hate the wind....all westerlies and it is pretty hot, up around the 30s (dont laugh too much ehh?).

Yep it is raining in parts of Queensland with the usual flooding. Nothing like iron hard ground and water richoceting off it. Monsoon season seems to have been a bit of a fizzer this season...where are the cyclones????

Hi P60

Yes, the Adelaide Hills have been affected by bushfires, but nothing like Victoria, NSW, Qld and ACT.  If you happen to be in Adelaide, all being well we could meet for coffee.  I am fine.

12 hours ago, Catherine Therese said:

It has indeed been a long time, BT - nice to speak with you again. I hope things have improved near you by now? 

Here in NSW the bushfires have likewise been incredibly challenging. I was driving near one of the fire fronts about a week ago and it started spitting the tiniest bit of rain... then I realised that the rain wasn't CLEANING the ash off my windshield - it was dirtying the windshield instead... the rain was mud-rain and it was manifestly unhelpful! 

The worst of the smoke haze has started to clear - occasionally still smells pretty smokey. The yellow glow that has been over everything since October has been downright depressing, and I'm glad we don't see it most days, now. I've got some friends who were miraculously saved, and I've got a mate who lost his home. 

My garden is entirely dead, and my car needs a wash sooooo desperately :) Very grateful that my family, in all the locations they live across NSW, have stayed safe. 

I hope you're keeping well during this difficult time! Prayers for SA assured.

Hi CT - I am afraid that we are going to be affected by bushfires for some time to come yet.  I have heard that drought has kicked up dust in the wind and when it rains, it rains red mud.

I am not being directly affected by bushfires, just now and then one can smell smoke but not sight it, not by me anyway.  It sounds dreadful your way.  I don't know anyone directly affected by either drought or fire and sorry to read about your mate.  My son and his wife are in Victoria but so far safe and sound.

Very happy to read your family has stayed safe.  Thank you for prayer for South Australia - Kangaroo Island especially has over half of their land burnt - while Port Lincoln has been flooded out.  Over one billion of our animals have died and many are badly injured and in care including by our Army personnel.

I am keeping well, Deo Gratias, and thank you for asking.

Finally, the cyclones are coming...admittedly to the west coast....looks from the map that Damien reached the coast with a very small population (correct me if I got that wrong please). I came over to NZ when I was 49 and the eastern seaboard was in a severe drought then came the flooding rain not too far on from then. So the cycle appears to me approximately every 10 yrs. The seminary near Goulburn showed a photo of unusual SNOW last year...how weird, but then so does Armidale and the high grounds of Stanthorpe etc occasionally get snowfall. What a weird country the weird mob has...hehehe.

Hope you are enjoying good health at present BT and CT.