An Old School Catholic Message Board

Difference in Charism of Religious Orders

Count Claydus

Count Claydus

What are the differences in charism and spirituality of the the orders such as the Dominicans, Franciscans, Augustinians, Jesuits, and Benedictines? 

Few people on this board would be able to give you satisfactory, much less definitive, answers about this. It would take an expert in the field. Some of the Pham might know some elements of each of the charisms and spiritualities you're interested in, but few of us would be able to make a spreadsheet with all the relevant comparisons.

But I'm sure the information is out there. If I had time to research this myself, I'd start by reading the Wikipedia entries on each (just for general background, broad overview), then move on to the Catholic Encyclopedia entries (for more of an "insider's view" of them), then move on to the web pages of each order (for what they say about themselves), and then send e-mails to the vocation directors of each order. The vocation directors will be able to give you the most accurate answers, especially of the charism and spirituality as it is lived today (not just the historical developments of each). And I'm sure they'll have the clearest and most concise explanations.

Best of luck with it!