An Old School Catholic Message Board

veiling outside of Mass?

sophia

hello! i just found this site and it's amesome, so i decided i absolutely had to bring this here.

i've been debating beginning to veil full-time. i've just recently heard that many women are beginning to veil all the time and it piqued my interest. although, i must admit i've always felt a touch jealous seeing muslim women in public being able to so boldly and loudly proclaim their faith. what are y'alls thoughts on this? do you think it's theologically sound?

20 hours ago, sophia said:

hello! i just found this site and it's amesome, so i decided i absolutely had to bring this here.

i've been debating beginning to veil full-time. i've just recently heard that many women are beginning to veil all the time and it piqued my interest. although, i must admit i've always felt a touch jealous seeing muslim women in public being able to so boldly and loudly proclaim their faith. what are y'alls thoughts on this? do you think it's theologically sound?

I have had the same feeling - envious of the elegant gesture of devotion possible to Muslim women in wearing the hijab. Of course many religions - Judaism, Hinduism, not to mention the Christian tradition, put women in veils full-time. 

There's no theological problem, necessarily. (I do remember sometime ago there was a movement of "plain catholicism" in which Catholics imitated the uniform dress, technology rejection, and separateness of the Amish. That can get dicey as bishops want everyone to be together and participating in a parish. They don't like suggestions of being separate. I'm not sure where that movement stands today. )

Obviously in full time veiling you wouldn't want to run the risk of "impersonating" a religious sister.  There are many choices for "covering" the head that would avoid that. 

I know more than one Catholic woman who wears a headscarf every day out of personal religious devotion. They tie it in a modern, Jewish style.

AbigailGermaine

I veil all the time.... I have since I was pretty small... At the time, we were closely associated with some Anabaptist groups and it rubbed off. I currently wear a basoc, nondescript black bandana, but I've done various and sundry other things... If you Google Christian headcoverings, you'll get lots of website with ideas. As Lillabett said, just try not to imitate a nun... I don't think it's a need... but it is beautiful when you see it. I do it now both because of personal devotion, and because after almost 10 years of head covering since I was small, I would feel naked without out it.....

Who is to tell you not to. I personally wear a headscarf in cold weather , I live in NZ . However, I prefer to wear the brown scapula and several pendant medals with crucifix. Wearing a crucifix screams your catholicity and of course the humble scapula seems to pop out at the most amazing moments such as when you are in a group of religious bigots. No need for novelties folks....pack a rosary as well.

I don’t do this, but I do like the idea sometimes, at least more than just during liturgy. I think it is a good idea to make sure it does not look like a Muslim headcovering or one of another faith-it should be distinguishable to point others to Christ and not to the ones who have yet to know Him. I heard of a woman who was helping give food to the homeless on a cold day and she put her scarf around her head to stay warmer. One of the homeless said to another something to the effect of: Look what the Muslims are doing here. They are feeding us.