An Old School Catholic Message Board

Communion: Protestant Family Member and Catholic Church

Anastasia13

I have a Protestant family member who communes in a Catholic parish he attends through the the week. He found something that says generally Christians or believers can commune but didn’t want to read much further when I mentioned there is more there (came up when I mentioned something again about non-Catholics like Protestants should not take communion in a Catholic Church). He is Christian and describes himself as someone who believes in God rather than as Evangelical or Catholic or any denomination. I doubt this came up between him and a priest. He would be a better Catholic than I, but isn’t as interested in following this Church specific ecclesiology. What can I say or do?

Maybe explain to your relative that receiving communion is a public proclamation to those present that one is in communion with the catholic church and believes all she proposes as true in faith and morals. "I know how honest and decent you are and as a good person you would never want to inadvertently lie by your actions."

If your relative persists, maybe explain that the church insists that people who arent in communion to refrain from receiving. Open your Bible to the part where the brethren are instructed to first correct each other in private, and, should that not work, to go to the church. Look meaningfully in to your relatives eyes. Read aloud. 

I agree it’s always good to start by pointing out his good qualities as was already mentioned.  I might suggest asking kindly if he believes that the Eucharist is truly Jesus body, soul, blood, and divinity?  If yes, perhaps suggest that he speaks further with a priest because it is the core of our faith and he might be interested in learning more (and may become Catholic eventually).  If no, maybe gently explain to him that while we appreciate when people want to reach across the divide to worship God with us, we are taught not to receive the Eucharist unworthily (aka outside of the Church or in a state of mortal sin while a member of the Church).  This way he understands that we hold Jesus in the Eucharist in the highest possible regard and don’t want anyone to put their soul in jeopardy by receiving Him unworthily (1 Cor 11:27).  If he realizes that even you have refrained from receiving holy communion when in a state of mortal sin, perhaps he would respect your beliefs and sincerity.  I don’t know if this is good advice but it’s all I’ve got haha.

Edited by Kateri89

Protestants can do it...if they are in danger of death...and they believe everything the Catholic Church teaches (I guess this would essentially be catechumens or bedside converts....?) - but apart from those fringe cases, if a Protestant receives without seeking actual reception into the Catholic Church, they want to have the cake and eat it too. To receive without joining is a kind of lie to the rest of the community, and to God. And by Catholic beliefs it is a terrible sin and an insult.

Not sure if your relative would be receptive to any of that kind of talk though. But it's pretty serious stuff.

• 2 weeks later...