An Old School Catholic Message Board

Francis Chan becoming Catholic?

Kateri89

For those who don’t know who Francis Chan is, let me give a quick overview.  He is a Protestant pastor who used to run a mega church and then left it (I think because he felt that he was becoming too proud - the church had about 5,000 people attend weekly).  He and his wife and kids downsized their home because he felt that they didn’t need so much space and the money they made from downsizing was used for ministry.  He wrote the popular book Crazy Love which I myself read about 10 years ago.  It inspired me to start sponsoring kids through World Vision.  I’ve always believed that he is a very sincere man who practices what he preaches.  Anyway, he just recently preached a sermon and I’ll post it below, but it sounds like he isn’t too far away from becoming Catholic.  I think with enough prayers, especially the Rosary, our Lady will guide him home so please pray for him.

He might be getting there, but it is worth noting that there are a number or protestant sects who believe in the True Presence under some form or another (High Church Anglicans, some Lutherans etc) so a belief in True Presence is not, ipso facto, a guarantee of conversion unless it is accompanied by a belief in Holy Orders and, particularly, in the validity of Orders coming from the discretion of the Petrine Office. Hope he converts, pray for it, as we need every soul we can get. That being said, I never recommend taking in Protestant media and I especially do not recommend giving any money to organizations such as World Vision.

21 hours ago, PaxHominibus said:

He might be getting there, but it is worth noting that there are a number or protestant sects who believe in the True Presence under some form or another (High Church Anglicans, some Lutherans etc) so a belief in True Presence is not, ipso facto, a guarantee of conversion unless it is accompanied by a belief in Holy Orders and, particularly, in the validity of Orders coming from the discretion of the Petrine Office. Hope he converts, pray for it, as we need every soul we can get. That being said, I never recommend taking in Protestant media and I especially do not recommend giving any money to organizations such as World Vision.

I agree it’s not a guarantee which is why I recommended praying for him.  However, even if there are Protestants and other non-Catholics who believe in some form of the True Presence, he clearly is just finding out and most likely reading the Church fathers based on his sermon in the video.  He has also been talking with Catholics a lot more lately so that adds to the hope.  As far as Protestant media, I would not have known about this if not for Protestant media and wouldn’t have been praying specifically for him so I disagree there.  And I have questioned World Vision before but haven’t figured out what to do about that yet because some impoverished communities have become independent and World Vision claims that’s the goal.