An Old School Catholic Message Board

Secular Movies that portray Catholicism well?

monica_margaret

monica_margaret

Hi all! This is super random, but after watching a couple really good movies, I was thinking of starting a little list of secular movies that portray Catholicism in a good light/have good Catholic themes (perhaps for a movie night with friends/family, dunno! *shrugs* ). It can be hard to find, especially in an era that is so not friendly to Christians/Catholics, but I can think of quite a few already! It's a more sizable list than I expected. I'll admit some aren't as blatant as others, and they're not all so "family friendly" necessarily, but they're all good! I'm sure people have thought about this before, so I'd like to know if anyone have anything to add to the list? :D 

Sound of Music (of course!)

The Trouble with Angels

Going My Way

The Bells of St. Mary's

Sister Act

Lilies of the Field (1963)

Les Miserables 

Madeline (from 1998; one of the least blatant on this list but it was a staple of my childhood so I'm biased :D )

Au Revoir, Les Enfants (haven't seen it yet, but I have it and it's a French film about a Carmelite boarding school that helped out Jewish children during the Holocaust)

monica_margaret

Oh, I've seen that, Delivery! Watched it a while back on a plane ride. I'll admit I personally didn't like it much and some of the ways they showed her acting in the Catholic environment -- but I can definitely see why it could make the list as well. I guess I'm a little torn; maybe I should give it another watch when I'm not exhausted from traveling. ;) Thank you!

Edited by monica_margaret

17 minutes ago, Luigi said:

I haven't seen it yet, but the reviews I've heard say "A Hidden Life" portrays Catholics in a positive light.

I saw it. It's long and slow but a good movie. 

The Irishman (Netflix) is definitely not family friendly but is does portray the church in a positive light. 

Surprisingly, The Two Popes (Netflix) does as well, even though it somewhat villianizes B16 and church tradition in the beginning.

monica_margaret

Thanks, Luigi and Delivery! I've actually been wanting to check it out, if it's the one I'm thinking of -- is that the one about Franz Jägerstätter (who I believe was actually beatified)? :)

Thanks, dUSt! I've heard many mixed reviews about The Two Popes -- especially the negative parts. I guess it never hurt to check it out. Haven't heard of The Irishman, but I'll look at that too!

Goodness, the list is really getting long now. It's amesome. :smile2:

Quiet Man

Assisi Underground

The Scarlet and the Black

A Man for all Seasons

Shoes of the Fisherman

Brother Sun, Sister Moon

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...