An Old School Catholic Message Board

Stressed About Job Interviewing

tinytherese

I have an interview for a paid internship and possibly more interviews coming up. I've been doing mock interviewing and I definitely need further help. I'm anxious and unsure how to answer questions.

I was in a class not long ago where we had kind of mock interviews and it was intimidating. I say "kind of" because we were told that if they liked us enough, that we'd get a real job offer. It happened to a student of the class in the past. People from all these companies came to evaluate us on our interviews with them. My classmates and I varied as to how many interviews we had. I did 5. At least one interview happened immediately after one was finished. We were told beforehand that we needed to be careful what we said, because they'd talk to each other about us and share how we were with other people in the industries that they worked in. So I was intimidated. 

I had a mock interview with someone else at the community college I was taking classes at. She gave me feedback on what we've done so far and gave me a list of even more questions to prepare for in an interview. I'm supposed to practice with her again. I'm struggling with responding to these questions though. I'm going to type up my responses so far and search online for tips. 

Please pray for me. I look at the lists of questions and my anxiety acts up. 

Before I interviewed for my "career position," I brainstormed questions that I thought they'd ask me. I wrote extensive answers to the questions.

You can't ever anticipate all the questions they might ask, but writing out the answers at least gets you thinking like the interviewer, and helps you use the proper terminology for the job, and it might help you find a focus or theme that runs through most of your answers.

I didn't do this part, but after you've typed out your answers, you might draft a friend to do a mock interview using your questions (or similar ones) so you can practice your vocal inflection, too. You don't want to sound robotic in your answers, and you can practice asking for clarification, pausing to think before you answer, and that kind of thing. I sat in on an interview where the interviewee ended every statement with "Does that answer your question?" While that's a good technique, it would have been better if she had mixed it up more rather than always using that one line.

Anyway, I find that the more preparation I do, the more confident I am in the actual situation. Like I say, you can't ever anticipate everything they might ask you, but you feel like you've done what you can to take control of the situation.

Best of luck! And prayers!

Edited by Luigi

Praying for you.  I hope you don’t mind another longer answer. Remember, you are interviewing them as well. You want to be happy somewhere, not just be there.

If you do not know an answer off hand, use a “hmm”, or some other communication to convey that you are considering there question. I think I have done a thinking out loud as I answer their question, using a “[rephrased version of question as subject] is [my answer{m]” to buy time.

This looks like a good resource on clarifying questions. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.themuse.com/amp/advice/how-to-ask-an-interviewer-to-clarify-a-question-without-making-things-awkward

If have school or extra curricular, you have more sources of behavioral interview question answers than just work and other internships. I usually got something about priorities, dealing with people, a challenge, or what made something I did work or not work. I think it’s good to have a list of answers like this.

We know your posts. You are smart and capable. If they don’t want you, it really is their loss, and God has something better for you. You got this. Knock them dead, as the saying goes.

Edited by Anastasia (L&T)

monica_margaret

Definitely praying for you! I've been there before, and the anxiety is awful. Job interviews always make me nervous, so I definitely get that. You've got this though! :pray:

• 2 weeks later...

Ironically, it wasn't really an interview for the internship. I got a tour of the building, met some people, had my picture taken for an i.d., and signed some documents. I was asked if I had any experience related to the work I'd be doing, which I answered. That's apparently all that they needed.