An Old School Catholic Message Board

Through Him, With Him, In Him: Reflecting on a Wholesome Discernment Process.

Francis Coffee

Francis Coffee

Sr. Anne Marie Lom, OSF - a Franciscan Sister of Christian Charity and Spiritual and Retreat Director - will be interviewed by Sr. Cecilia Joy Kugel, OSF on the Sisters Facebook Live to reflect on her approach to guiding discernment.

According to Sr. Anne Marie “Discernment is not for the faint hearted!  Discernment is choosing between two good courses of action with the assistance of the Holy Spirit and other individuals. When someone tells me they are discerning, my first question is always, “With whom?”

Discernment is a communal process, not an isolated one. One discerns with a spiritual director, with the input of family, friends, teachers, mentors, clergy etc… Seasoned religious help in the discernment process by observing and giving honest feedback as to the ability of the person to live the call on a day-to-day basis.”  

To hear a more in depth advice from Sr. Anne Marie and brief discussion of her "Through him, With Him and In Him" approach visit https://www.facebook.com/franciscansistersofchristiancharity/  on Thursday Jan 16 at 6:30 Central Time

Behold-Millennial-Women-called-to-be-sis

Francis Coffee
On 1/15/2020 at 10:58 AM, Francis Coffee said:

Sr. Anne Marie Lom, OSF - a Franciscan Sister of Christian Charity and Spiritual and Retreat Director - will be interviewed by Sr. Cecilia Joy Kugel, OSF on the Sisters Facebook Live to reflect on her approach to guiding discernment.

According to Sr. Anne Marie “Discernment is not for the faint hearted!  Discernment is choosing between two good courses of action with the assistance of the Holy Spirit and other individuals. When someone tells me they are discerning, my first question is always, “With whom?”

Discernment is a communal process, not an isolated one. One discerns with a spiritual director, with the input of family, friends, teachers, mentors, clergy etc… Seasoned religious help in the discernment process by observing and giving honest feedback as to the ability of the person to live the call on a day-to-day basis.”  

To hear a more in depth advice from Sr. Anne Marie and brief discussion of her "Through him, With Him and In Him" approach visit https://www.facebook.com/franciscansistersofchristiancharity/  on Thursday Jan 16 at 6:30 Central Time

Behold-Millennial-Women-called-to-be-sis

Now available for viewing at 

• 3 weeks later...

Spiritual directors are a great blessing - but they are very difficult to find. I've known many religious and priests, some very gifted in various areas, but a real gift for discernment, and for helping others to see the truth clearly, are very rare. I didn't find one until I was 45! (And I not only worked for the Church for many years, and had years of consecrated life before this, but was a manager in a major archdiocese.) 

1 hour ago, gloriana35 said:

Spiritual directors are a great blessing - but they are very difficult to find. 

A holy priest recently told me that most people do not need a spiritual director all the time.  We should daily pray that when we need a spiritual director for something in particular that comes up in life, God will provide one at that time for that purpose.

Of course, those in discernment are a special case and do need a regular spiritual director.

(Did I go off topic here?  Yeah, I guess so!)

Edited by JHFamily