An Old School Catholic Message Board

Aaron Rodgers family 'dismayed' by his religious comments on Danica Patrick's podcast

"I don't know how you can believe in a God who wants to condemn most of the planet to a fiery hell," Rodgers continued. "What type of loving, sensitive, omnipresent, omnipotent being wants to condemn his beautiful creation to a fiery hell at the end of all this?"

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxnews.com/entertainment/aaron-rodgers-family-dismayed-religious-comments-danica-patrick-podcast-report.amp

Screenshot_20200123-215343~2.png

I love the beautiful prayer at the end of each decade of the Rosary.  It was taught to the children of Fatima by Our Lady HERE.  The final words are: "and bring all souls to Heaven, especially those most in need of Your Mercy".

I don't think Our Lady would have taught an impossible petitionary prayer.

We need to choose, however, The Mercy of Jesus.

Rodgers does not understand what The Church teaches and that is that God desires all to be saved and this has been effected through The Cross of Jesus.  But God will not take from us His great gift of free will - i.e. we have to choose His Love and Mercy and in that choose Heaven rather than Hell.

Indeed is "the door to Hell locked from the inside" as Bishop Barron quoted from C S Lewis.  Only we can open it and walk through it.

Edited by BarbaraTherese

KnightofChrist

Our Lady showed the children at Fatima that there are human souls in hell. 

Christ taught, without any doubt, hell is not and will not be empty of human souls. We can't really hope Our Lord is wrong. If we do, sorry not sorry, we call Christ a liar. Yes, hoping hell is empty of human souls is hoping Christ lied or taught error. 

It's a hard teaching, extremely hard, of course, one Aaron Rodgers can't handle and angrily perverts. But we d@mn ourselves, God reaches out for us every day. We choose to choose God or we choose damnation. 

BTW even Balthasar taught that there were (past tense at least) human souls in the hell of the d@mned. He perversely taught Christ suffered in the hell of the d@mned and freed the human souls there in. Bishop Barron errs in promoting Balthasar. 

There is no reasonable hope that there are no souls in Hell. If there was, Our Lord and Lady would be a liar and Lazarus would have lied when he told the rich man that there was an impassable chasm between him and us. Balthazar erred and so did the Bishop.

Every perspective on the faith is a least a little true in that there are people who believe in every crazy nuance, variation, and interpretation of the faith. Rodgers is right in asserting that a petty tyrant god who would want to condemn many people to eternal hell is childish and not worthy to be believed in. There is an alternative, to develop a more sophisticated concept of God centered around his Justice and Mercy.

On 1/25/2020 at 2:45 AM, KnightofChrist said:

Our Lady showed the children at Fatima that there are human souls in hell. 

Christ taught, without any doubt, hell is not and will not be empty of human souls. We can't really hope Our Lord is wrong. If we do, sorry not sorry, we call Christ a liar. Yes, hoping hell is empty of human souls is hoping Christ lied or taught error. 

It's a hard teaching, extremely hard, of course, one Aaron Rodgers can't handle and angrily perverts. But we d@mn ourselves, God reaches out for us every day. We choose to choose God or we choose damnation. 

BTW even Balthasar taught that there were (past tense at least) human souls in the hell of the d@mned. He perversely taught Christ suffered in the hell of the d@mned and freed the human souls there in. Bishop Barron errs in promoting Balthasar.

I don't believe that hell is empty but I do not think it can be absolutely ruled out. That view is well known by now and I do not believe that the Church has formally condemned it, or authoritatively taught that there are persons in hell.  So I don't think you can go so far as saying that Bishop Barron is calling our Lord a liar because he holds the "we may reasonably hope" view.

But in general I agree with you. I do not think that view is very tenable given that people have the free will to choose against God. It would seem that God would need to force some people against their own will in order for that to occur.

Edited by Peace

My thoughts are a majority will eventually be saved. I can't see all but I pray it's possible. Some people truly hate God though. Purgatory makes sense to me that a lot will be saved. Because it can be extremely painful there and lessons can be learned. If all end up saved it will be because God continues to grant people wisdom and understanding after death. Which makes sense to me and what I would expect from an all loving God. Who has from the looks of it intentionally put humans in a world where there is evil and it's not clearly known if He exists or doesn't.

Edited by Guest

On the other hand most souls going to hell on Earth makes more sense if there is life all throughout the trillions of galaxies. And human life isn't that special. 

Screenshot_20200201-160331~2.png

KnightofChrist
On 2/1/2020 at 6:19 PM, Peace said:

I don't believe that hell is empty but I do not think it can be absolutely ruled out. That view is well known by now and I do not believe that the Church has formally condemned it, or authoritatively taught that there are persons in hell.  So I don't think you can go so far as saying that Bishop Barron is calling our Lord a liar because he holds the "we may reasonably hope" view.

But in general I agree with you. I do not think that view is very tenable given that people have the free will to choose against God. It would seem that God would need to force some people against their own will in order for that to occur.

The big problem is Balthasar's theology which is the foundation of Barron's. Balthazar believed Christ descended in to Hell, actual Hell, not the Limbo of the Fathers. Balthazar believed that Christ suffered the torments of the damned. But more importantly, in context of this discussion, Balthazar believed Christ preached to the damned (human souls) and freed those souls. Balthazar was forced to recant his beliefs of Christ going to hell and in doing so logically leads us to believe, according to Balthazar' own theology, that hell is not empty of human souls. 

1 hour ago, KnightofChrist said:

The big problem is Balthasar's theology which is the foundation of Barron's. Balthazar believed Christ descended in to Hell, actual Hell, not the Limbo of the Fathers. Balthazar believed that Christ suffered the torments of the damned. But more importantly, in context of this discussion, Balthazar believed Christ preached to the damned (human souls) and freed those souls. Balthazar was forced to recant his beliefs of Christ going to hell and in doing so logically leads us to believe, according to Balthazar' own theology, that hell is not empty of human souls. 

Balthasar was a Catholic priest yet I see pictures of him wearing suit and tie. Just saying.