An Old School Catholic Message Board

Religious Sisters of Mercy Alma

TalithaKoum

Hi! I am just starting the discernment process with the RSM of Alma and am curious of others personal experiences. I have read the existing posts, but I think a lot of it was done in private messages, so I wanted to see if I can get any other information on them. I love their Apostate and have had nothing but love from the Sisters. I am curious about them though. I am not visiting until May, and with not being regionally close to the community makes it a little more difficult to get to know all aspects of it, and not just what you see on the website or on Come and See's. 

Just wanted to know your thoughts, especially of those with experiences or those who have discerned out of the RSMs. 

Thanks!

If you are serious about religious life, you will be quite happy with this community. They are rigorous, though. Be prepared for serious spiritual work. I spent 4 months with them (not in discernment - I belong to another order but was there for training) and was amazed by just about everything they do. I will pray for you. 

SMM

I have no personal experience, but had to reply because I just started listening to podcasts by one of their sisters last week, and I just love her. She’s so intelligent, reverent, and funny that she makes all the time I have to spend driving in the car go so much faster.  Scripture and the Spiritual Life, Sr. Anna Marie McGuan RSM https://www.listennotes.com/podcasts/scripture-and-the-spiritual-life-sister-KQLTI7yrdzv/ I listen to her on overcast, but that can’t be linked.

Edited by andibc

I think it's important to know that the RSMs have been investigated twice by the Holy See.

The first time, in the early 90s, was for their connection to Fr. Proukes, SJ and the Regina Laudis community. 

The second was around 2010 when their longtime Superior General was removed and an investigation was conducted into the "cult of personality" surrounding her and the Vicar General.

There are certainly many good and holy Sisters living and serving Our Lord there. But there are certainly problematic aspects as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I discerned with them for several years (never actually entered, just went on a lot of visits). As others have mentioned, they are known as being very rigorous. A sister of life once called them "The Navy SEALS" of religious life. They wake up at 4:30 AM every day, have a very full prayer schedule, and are expected to pursue a lot of higher education on top of that. I found them to be a very joyful, healthy community. But honestly, I don't know how they avoid burnout. Divine Grace doesn't turn you into a super human. One sister working as a doctor was also a local superior, and taking philosophy classes on top of that. Several of their sisters work in the mental health field so I think they are very open and aware of mental well-being. They take their vows and fidelity to the Magisterium very seriously. I'm not aware of the investigation mentioned by @Thomist but it wouldn't surprise me. Feel free to ask more questions! 

Indwelling Trinity

They are a very good Community.  Many of the sisters are highly educated and their spiritual life at least 8 years ago, was orthodox. 

Prayers for you. 

22 hours ago, Nunsuch said:

If this is inappropriate, I ask the moderators to remove it. But here is a link to the investigation referred to, above:

https://www.nytimes.com/1987/08/12/us/church-scrutinizes-3-groups-of-nuns.html

I have no familiarity with any of these monasteries, but appreciated your link. Very interesting. Manipulation is a tragic element of much going on today, including within the Church. 

On 2/2/2020 at 1:42 AM, Thomist said:

I think it's important to know that the RSMs have been investigated twice by the Holy See.

The first time, in the early 90s, was for their connection to Fr. Proukes, SJ and the Regina Laudis community. 

The second was around 2010 when their longtime Superior General was removed and an investigation was conducted into the "cult of personality" surrounding her and the Vicar General.

There are certainly many good and holy Sisters living and serving Our Lord there. But there are certainly problematic aspects as well.

How did you hear about the investigation in 2010? Can you link to any sources? I'd be curious to hear more about this as I've met Mother Mary Quentin and the new Mother General, Mother Mary. 

KatherineH,

I was a member at that time. As far as I know, nothing was publicized beyond the internal communications within the Holy See. There was nothing so concerning that the media would have been interested, as with the accusations with Regina Laudis.

Mother Mary was elected as SG after Mother Mary Quentin was forced to step down. You can ask about it, but I would be shocked if you were told anything other than it was a misunderstanding. I expect that they will say it was a deliberate effort to unseat Mother M. Quentin,  who is often painted by the community as a modern Catherine of Siena. 

Also,  many of the Sisters do suffer from burnout.

They are either ignored and told that they are not being generous enough in prayer, or they are sent to do psychological work with their own Sisters (which is very strange. A physician would never treat a member of his family, especially not as a therapist).

It is also very interesting that of the Sisters who left after final vows, a fair number were psychologists,  who were trained to diagnose and resolve the tension that they were forced to cooperate in creating. 

18 hours ago, Thomist said:

KatherineH,

I was a member at that time. As far as I know, nothing was publicized beyond the internal communications within the Holy See. There was nothing so concerning that the media would have been interested, as with the accusations with Regina Laudis.

Mother Mary was elected as SG after Mother Mary Quentin was forced to step down. You can ask about it, but I would be shocked if you were told anything other than it was a misunderstanding. I expect that they will say it was a deliberate effort to unseat Mother M. Quentin,  who is often painted by the community as a modern Catherine of Siena. 

They are either ignored and told that they are not being generous enough in prayer, or they are sent to do psychological work with their own Sisters (which is very strange. A physician would never treat a member of his family, especially not as a therapist).

It is also very interesting that of the Sisters who left after final vows, a fair number were psychologists,  who were trained to diagnose and resolve the tension that they were forced to cooperate in creating. 

Fascinating. Thanks for sharing your experience. 

18 hours ago, Thomist said:

Thank you for sharing your experience! I am curious if that has been resolved. They have a pretty large community, I wonder how many women they have leave as well? 

On 2/11/2020 at 6:00 PM, katherineH said:

I discerned with them for several years (never actually entered, just went on a lot of visits). As others have mentioned, they are known as being very rigorous. A sister of life once called them "The Navy SEALS" of religious life. They wake up at 4:30 AM every day, have a very full prayer schedule, and are expected to pursue a lot of higher education on top of that. I found them to be a very joyful, healthy community. But honestly, I don't know how they avoid burnout.

Thank you for sharing! I am actually planning a visit with them in May. Do you know how long women are apart of the community before entering back into education or stating their apostolate?

2 hours ago, TalithaKoum said:

Thank you for sharing your experience! I am curious if that has been resolved. They have a pretty large community, I wonder how many women they have leave as well? 

Thank you for sharing! I am actually planning a visit with them in May. Do you know how long women are apart of the community before entering back into education or stating their apostolate?

Sisters have one year of postulancy in Alma, one year of cloistered novitiate in Alma, and then in the second year of the novitiate they get sent "on mission" to help out with one of their apostolates around the world. Everything before then is dedicated to spiritual formation. In terms of continuing education, it seems like sisters at the very earliest get sent to school after first vows. I got the impression that it was fairly rare for a sister to be in one apostolate long-term. One sister who was a physician was sent to work for a diocese, a sister who did campus ministry was sent for a degree in Philosophy. They highly value flexibility, which is one characteristic that might differ from other religious communities where a sister might be in the same field of work her entire life. I know a lot of women are attracted to the RSM because of how many sisters work in the medical field, but they really ask you to "leave that at the door" and be open to whatever the community asks of you. The Mother General takes your interests and talents into consideration, but ultimately it's her decision. 

On 2/14/2020 at 6:18 PM, katherineH said:

Sisters have one year of postulancy in Alma, one year of cloistered novitiate in Alma, and then in the second year of the novitiate they get sent "on mission" to help out with one of their apostolates around the world. Everything before then is dedicated to spiritual formation. In terms of continuing education, it seems like sisters at the very earliest get sent to school after first vows. I got the impression that it was fairly rare for a sister to be in one apostolate long-term. One sister who was a physician was sent to work for a diocese, a sister who did campus ministry was sent for a degree in Philosophy. They highly value flexibility, which is one characteristic that might differ from other religious communities where a sister might be in the same field of work her entire life. I know a lot of women are attracted to the RSM because of how many sisters work in the medical field, but they really ask you to "leave that at the door" and be open to whatever the community asks of you. The Mother General takes your interests and talents into consideration, but ultimately it's her decision. 

Did you notice these sisters having a specific type? Like are the sisters more reserved? More outgoing? 

@TalithaKoum Their sisters were of all different personalities and walks of life! Some entered right out of high schools, others at 40 years old. I would say they are all very hard workers and intellectually curious. I think you have to be to a certain degree to make it through formation.

One aspect that might differentiate them from other communities is their approach to family visits and communication: during postulancy, families visit one weekend and then they go home for one weekend usually before entering the novitiate. In between visits, they communicate via letter and have about one phone call home a month. They can also have friends visit during postulancy, and communicate with them through letter. During the first year of novitiate (considered a cloistered year), there is only communication with family through letters and occasional phone calls. They can't write letters to non-family members. On one hand, this is far more contact than a Nashville or Michigan Dominican might be afforded, but it is still fairly restricted. I found out pretty quickly that sisters hardly have any time at all to write their first year, and communication eventually dies off. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but something to be aware of. I've found that a lot of religious sisters use the language of "seeing their family in the Eucharist" but I think it's important to recognize that it's not really the same.