An Old School Catholic Message Board

Catholic social media

Dogtag

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
Ash Wednesday

I'll say this: Catholic twitter is a dumpster fire. My experience there was not good. Apparently it doesn't occur to keyboard warriors that they will be held accountable for how they conduct themselves online. I was totally disgusted at the way the laity even addressed priests, bishops, and cardinals. I left and haven't yet found much of any spiritually edifying reason for returning.

In principle, it is possible to use it for facilitating prayer and good works offline, and for teaching the faith to those without local help.

There are small, informal networks of people who have created friendships with each other over twitter - often from places where they were otherwise pretty isolated in the faith. Some friends I have met each other this way.

If you do use it, you have to be detached. None of these social networks naturally lend themselves to spiritual edification - it's certainly not in their design. Rather, they are designed to incentivise you to use them as much as possible, rewarding attention with notifications and view counts.

So don't use them at all, or if you do, use it sparingly and treat it as correspondence for which you are accountable.