An Old School Catholic Message Board

Catholic Church needs more Catholics like Kobe. Rest In Peace.

I believe in forgiveness but I also think what this is like for the victim for her perp to be eulogized. Even 20 yrs later - you never get over being raped.  It seems like he was trying to do good and his death was sudden and untimely. A tragedy. But, he doesn't deserve unqualified praise - do any of us? The most Christian thing would be to pray for his soul. 

It kind of reminds me of when Princess Diana died, and then in the same week, Mother Teresa. Princess Di's death was so tragic and it got all the attention.  

He wasn't convicted of rape. He said it was consensual sex. I believe him.

And agreed about praying for him.

Edited by Guest

Kobe could sleep with almost any woman he wanted. I believe him when he said he truly believed it was consensual. But I also respect the fact he said he could see how it wasn't from her point of view. Although noway do I believe it was rape in the sense she was not willing at all or wasn't open to hooking up leading up to the moment.

Screenshot_20200202-212539~2.png

Screenshot_20200202-210846.png

Screenshot_20200202-210905~3.png

Screenshot_20200202-213640~2.png

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Delivery said:

Kobe could sleep with almost any woman he wanted. I believe him when he said he truly believed it was consensual. But I also respect the fact he said he could see how it wasn't from her point of view. Although noway do I believe it was rape in the sense she was not willing at all or wasn't open to hooking up leading up to the moment.

Screenshot_20200202-212539~2.png

Screenshot_20200202-210846.png

Screenshot_20200202-210905~3.png

Screenshot_20200202-213640~2.png

Please don't do the thing where you impugne the victim. He understands how she did not view it as consensual because her consent was not explicit and enthusiastic.  Just as an aside if a girl is crying while you have sex with her, that's a good sign you dont have her consent. If inserting your penis into a woman requires the level of force that will give her 2 inch lacerations in her vagina, which are consistent with rape, that's a good sign her consent is not explicit and enthusiastic. 

Unfortunately a lot of men are rapists because they aren't taught what consent is.

12 minutes ago, Lilllabettt said:

Unfortunately a lot of men are rapists because they aren't taught what consent is.

Rape is horrible. Any guy who rapes a woman deserves ridicule and the book thrown at him. Although I don't believe Kobe raped this woman. Is it possible he did? Yeah. But with everything I read on the case I'm not convinced. Also besides the details of the case I don't see him personally raping a woman. Like he could literally get any woman he wanted. It makes no sense. What's likely imo is she gave mixed signals ect. But I don't buy he forcefully raped her with her giving no consent to the sexual encounter.

But all this is a great reason not to have sex before marriage. So you never put yourself in this situation. 

Edited by Guest

4 minutes ago, Delivery said:

Rape is horrible. Any guy who rapes a woman deserves ridicule and the book thrown at him. Although I don't believe Kobe raped this woman. Is it possible he did? Yeah. But with everything I read on the case I'm not convinced. Also besides the details of the case I don't see him personally raping a woman. Like he could literally get any woman he wanted. It makes no sense. What's likely imo is she gave mixed signals ect. But I don't buy he forcefully raped her with her giving no consent to the sexual encounter.

But all this is a great reason not to have sex before marriage. So you never put yourself in this situation. 

Well, rape isnt about sex really. It's about control. And power.

Unfortunately rape happens in marriages too. 

Funny thing about the catholic faith, when you fail and ask forgiveness and truly repent 

your sins are forgiven, no matter how serious. 

Kobe fell from grace, like most mortals do.  However from what i know or have heard he turned his life around and became a good catholic ...

Pray for his widow, surviving children and immediate family for there great loss!

Amen

Edited by little2add

2 hours ago, little2add said:

Funny thing about the catholic faith, when you fail and ask forgiveness and truly repent 

your sins are forgiven, no matter how serious. 

Kobe fell from grace, like most mortals do.  However from what i know or have heard he turned his life around and became a good catholic ...

Pray for his widow, surviving children and immediate family for there great loss!

Amen

Right, I believe in forgiveness and redemption. His death was tragic. However he doesn't deserve unqualified praise. It seems he tried to live a good life in the 20 yrs after this happened.  If he was a good man he wouldn't want his sins to be white washed. The person he hurt is still living a d has to live every day.

I think that we can learn a lot from his life and death. 1st, the preciousness of life. He was doing something routine, flying in a helicopter which he may have done so many times before. And then this something happens just like that. Appreciate life. 2nd, always be prepared because you never know how long you have. Thirdly, he was turning his life around. His life was sanctified between receptions of the Holy Eucharist, often at Daily Mass. 4th – – he did things for the community, I believe especially for the homeless. 5th, his turning life around shows the power of God's grace and forgiveness when one accepts and receives it. And I think these lessons are more evident because of his popularity.

No, his life is not more important than others lives. That's not the point. The point is, even his popularity, even that can be and is used for God to manifest his great glory and mercy.

Also, I am certain that he would be praying for that person especially now

12 minutes ago, nikita92 said:

Catholic? He cheated on his wife! Just sayin

Oh of course Catholics never cheat on their wives. Why even have Confession? Catholics are just perfect flawless people. Imagine a parallel universe where priest's in the Church actually sexually abused kids and hierarchy up to the Popes covered it up. I know that's crazy and couldn't happen. Because...Catholic...But just imagine if it did.

Edited by Guest