An Old School Catholic Message Board

Phatmass Inquisition

Dogtag

Who is the troll at Phatmass who erased my Kobe Bryant comment? Are we not allowed to question people who label a dead athlete a hero, even if he has credible rape allegations? Guess the Inquisition is back.

He's my brother in Christ. A practicing Catholic in my diocese. A great father who loved his family. God Bless whoever erased your comment. King David murdered a person and committed adultery. What are your sins? Why don't you accuse yourself instead of the dead? You can start in this thread. When is the last time you fornicated? You can get girls right? If you can't get girls what are your vices? What makes you a wretched sinner and in need of God's love and forgiveness over and over again? Or are you perfect? 

Edited by Guest

dominicansoul

who cares!  The poor guy is dead, he ain’t gonna be raping no one anymore... 

pray for his soul instead of digging up his past sins... 

On 2/2/2020 at 10:15 PM, Dogtag said:

troll at Phatmass who erased my Kobe Bryant comment?

It was a thoughtful catholic soul, that’s who.  Expressing a little decorum.  

We have plenty saints who were decided sinners before their conversion. 

Sadly too, lives of the saints can be and have been whitewashed and sanitized for the "edification of the faithful".  I don't think that it does edify, rather whitewash and sanitizing can make saints too other worldly, detached from what can be the normal human messiness of falling and rising again.  In the midst of that messiness, God can and does raise great saints.  "in the midst of messiness" not "after the messiness".  This gives Hope and even confidence to very ordinary messy human beings in my book.

Edited by BarbaraTherese

I think too that whitewash and sanitizing the lives of those canonized appears to justify their canonization; however, it does not paint an accurate picture of their life, their journey.  Any edification among the faithful, should it occur, due to a whitewashed sanitised life, is therefore not based in truth.

I can, we can, in our very ordinary and messy humanity, not only have great confidence in the Love and Mercy of Jesus, but also in His Power to make great out of what is in reality nothing or nothingness, or what is decidedly "not great" and unworthy.... just as He has created the universe out of nothing.  The call to holiness, to be saints, is given to very ordinary and messy humanity as it is.  Therein is the wonder of saints, of holiness, the real edification, that out of nothing, God has created greatness.

This tread is reminiscent, in a way of one of the Church’s greatest saints?

Does it surprise you that a man who once wanted to put Christians to death became one of the Church’s greatest saints? That man is Saint Paul.

Paul, who was named Saul, was born in Tarsus, in the country we now call Turkey.