An Old School Catholic Message Board

Former Nuns

Kim

7 hours ago, catholicamama said:

Anyway...i might just start another.  I definitely prefer a private FB group for that kind of thing as all the posts here are searchable etc.

You can also start a private chat group on here, as did some young discerners on the phorum. :) 

I was a member of 2 different orders, one active and one contemplative. When I was in the Novitiate of the active order I discerned with my Spiritual director that I had a contemplative vocation. I then entered a monastic order. When I left during the Novitiate it was so difficult because I really didn't want to return to the world. I also thought that it was 'all my fault' for what happened while I was there and for not being able to live my vocation. Years later a former Brother went to the Vatican with a huge dossier of all the disfunctions and spiritual abuses as well as practices that weren't according to the Catholic faith in the monastery. Then a French website published many testimonials of former sisters and their stories of abuse. Finally they had a visit from the Vatican then set up a listening cell for ex sisters. They just had a council and listed the abuses and changes that must take place to reform. It still remains to be seen if they are able to since they had cultish tendencies.

Oh Marie Egypt! I read that dossier and all I can say is, thank God you were able to leave. I can understand how painful it must have been for you, but the level of spiritual abuse in that Community was/is off the scale and I pray that reform does take place for the sake of the wellbeing - physical, mental,  and spiritual - of the brothers and sisters. Peace and blessings to you!

Thank you so much Mhairi.  The ex sisters have formed a group and we have a private forum.  It was shocking to find out about so many abuses and dysfunctional practices...so many of us had horrible experiences.  It seems that the Founder had some kind of strong charism and was able to charm people. Things were constantly changing according to her whims. There were so many lies and secrets. Several sisters attempted suicide and one even succeeded. She doused herself with gas and lit a match and burned to death. Even worse the Founder and all the sisters lied about it. They had the authorities cover it up and even her parents weren't told the truth or allowed to go to the funeral.

MarieEgypt, I am so glad you have support from your sisters from that community and I hope the forum you share helps in supporting you all in your healing. I am so sad that a beautiful vocation you all had to that community was so abused by a superior. I read with horror the dossier and especially about your beloved sister who died. Thank God for all of you who spoke out and tried to ensure that things changed for the better. Prayers for you all! 

The forum has been so helpful because when we were in the Monastery we were not allowed to speak to each other.  So often we would see our sisters crying or in crisis but could never share our difficulties. We never knew each other on a personal level. Even when we left we were warned to not talk about anything that happened in the monastery.  So for years most of us suffered in silence.  I am American so I felt even more isolated(since they can't seem to keep American vocations) and searched for years for ex sisters to talk to.  In the forum we realize that so many of us went through the same thing and we are not the crazy ones.  Thank you for your kind words.  

So sorry for what happend to you Marie Egypt. This has been going on for a long time. It needs to stop, just not right.  I took care of both my late mother and late father and couldn't enter, even though I wanted to . Maybe it was God's will that I didn't. And after hearing about all this I'm glad I didn't .Are all orders like this no, but unfortunately a lot are.

Thank you HollyDolly.  Recently a French YouTuber interviewed a couple of sisters, one of whom wrote a book, 15 Ans dans L'enfer de la Famille Monastique de Bethléem. It was eye opening and revealed many of their great secrets that they have kept hidden..  Over the years information about their dysfunction and abuse have trickled onto the internet. Unfortunately it wasn't until they were 'pushed' because of all the bad press that they responded. They have a very elitist attitude and think they are above all other Orders and even the Church.  It's difficult to believe that they will or can actually reform.  Lord have mercy.