Sign in to follow this  
Delivery

Catholic Tan Books

Delivery
1 hour ago, Aloysius said:

So when kids who were fans of Pewdiepie on youtube, for instance, then saw the Wallstreet journal shouting about him being racist, but they knew better and knew that it was taking him completely out of context

Never heard of Pewdiepie. Found this quote when I did a quick search: 

"Indeed, PewDiePie’s work has been gleefully praised by prominent white supremacists such as Andrew Anglin, editor of the Daily Stormer, an American neo-Nazi news blog. On 22 January, the Daily Stormer changed its motto to “The world’s #1 PewDiePie fansite”, and Anglin wrote a blogpost congratulating Kjellberg for “making the masses comfortable with our ideas”.

Edited by Delivery

Aloysius

oh I'm not saying your concern here is trivial.  I was saying that one reason the condemnation of it might not catch on with some people is not because large amounts of people are racists, but because lots of people have been conditioned by so many trivial things being misrepresented that they are complacent when something serious like this needs to be addressed. 

anyway, somewhere earlier on the thread I saw someone said they sent in a complaint to Tan.  I really hope to see some response, which ought to be a disavowal of that interpretation and a promise to edit future publications (if nothing else by adding in a footnote stating this was an historical opinion but is contrary to the teachings of the Church).  if they are standing by this interpretation of scripture, then someone should also complain to the bishop of the diocese in which their publishing company is centered, should they not?  at the very least the bishop do the symbolic gesture of ordering them not to use the name "Catholic" anymore (which of course has no legal weight)

1 minute ago, Delivery said:

Never heard of Pewdiepie. Found this quote when I did a quick search: 

"Indeed, PewDiePie’s work has been gleefully praised by prominent white supremacists such as Andrew Anglin, editor of the Daily Stormer, an American neo-Nazi news blog. On 22 January, the Daily Stormer changed its motto to “The world’s #1 PewDiePie fansite”, and Anglin wrote a blogpost congratulating Kjellberg for “making the masses comfortable with our ideas”.

this is part of the strategy I mentioned earlier--racists have egged people on to condemn people making harmless jokes, thereby making fans of those people more likely to be driven into racist ideologies.  the dailystormer people are baiting people to condemn pewdiepie in order to make his fans less likely to take any condemnation of racism seriously and drive them into their arms.

pewdiepie's certainly not perfect, and he's made edgy jokes and serious mistakes from what I've seen, but I definitely don't think he's a racist and the whole cycle of condemning him is precisely that vicious cycle that is actually weakening society's ability to fight true racists like those at the dailystormer.

Delivery

Tim is on Twitter calling the lynching of George Floyd an "alleged crime". This is who Tan publishes and Trent Horn does podcasts with.

Also can a Mediator of Meh move this back to open mic? There's not a debate going on anylonger. 

Edited by Delivery

Seven77

Did anyone get a response from TAN?  I never got a reply after sending an email A while ago about this… Did anyone hear anything after writing?

Edited by Seven77