An Old School Catholic Message Board

Church position on angel cards

Adviser/asker

I will pray for you, please pray for me also.

On 3/7/2020 at 2:53 AM, Adviser/asker said:

Also, why is it sinful if the angel is Satan? If you think you are communicating with an angel of light and that the angel tells you orthodox things, why is the fact that it’s actually Satan, a sin? 

The above is exactly the type of hook satan will use to smell of elderberries a person into its evil web.   The above is what Scripture means by satan can appear as an angel of light. It is not necessarily sinful unless one knows it is a sin to use/invest in angel type cards etc. 

No Catholic priest worth his salt and faithful to his vocation would bless a new age type angel card.

14 minutes ago, BarbaraTherese said:

The above is exactly the type of hook satan will use to smell of elderberries a person into its evil web

The above should read "The above is exactly the type of hook satan will use to h ook a person into its evil web"

Adviser/asker

Of course!

Oh don’t worry ry! I wasn’t referring to myself there. I am not THAT stupid! Invoking Satan is crazy.

Oh they don’t look new age. I have thrown out the book and intend to use them as holy images/prayer cards. If they had occult symbolism, I would throw them out as well, but there just a picture of an angel with an inspirational message. 

I was going by the general sense expressed in your Opening Post :

Adviser/asker "Are oracle cards/angel cards forbidden? I am not talking about tarot. I am talking about those cards that bring messages from the angels. I don’t understand what’s wrong with them as angels are good and are servants of God and trusting them is trusting God. I understand that demons can pretend to be angels, but if you surround yourself with holiness and explicitly state that you want to speak to God and angels and that demons must leave, where is the danger? Thank you!"

Short and long of it all :   "Oracle cards/angel cards" are forbidden by The Church.  

KnightofChrist
39 minutes ago, Adviser/asker said:

Of course!

Oh don’t worry ry! I wasn’t referring to myself there. I am not THAT stupid! Invoking Satan is crazy.

Oh they don’t look new age. I have thrown out the book and intend to use them as holy images/prayer cards. If they had occult symbolism, I would throw them out as well, but there just a picture of an angel with an inspirational message. 

The angel oracle cards I found on Google, all had a new age occultist art style. Also, remember you called these cards angel oracle cards. Oracles are occultist, pagan, new age, etc. Not Christian at very least. So why should a Christian keep "oracle" cards?

What company published the cards?

What Angels are depicted on these cards? Legitimate Catholic prayer cards make clear the individual Angel or Saint on the card. 

What exactly are the messages on the cards? Are they vague, were they meant to be used as a message from a medium? 

There are tarot cards with angels depicted on them. It would still be wrong to keep one with inspirational quotes. 

Adviser/asker

There vague messages and depict the archangel Gabriel. They where made by Doreen Virtue. 

The messages where meant to be used as a medium but they can just as easily be regarded as mere sayings. If you want, I can cut them off. 

14 minutes ago, KnightofChrist said:

The angel oracle cards I found on Google, all had a new age occultist art style. Also, remember you called these cards angel oracle cards. Oracles are occultist, pagan, new age, etc. Not Christian at very least. So why should a Christian keep "oracle" cards?

What company published the cards?

What Angels are depicted on these cards? Legitimate Catholic prayer cards make clear the individual Angel or Saint on the card. 

What exactly are the messages on the cards? Are they vague, were they meant to be used as a message from a medium? 

There are tarot cards with angels depicted on them. It would still be wrong to keep one with inspirational quotes. 

:winner:

KnightofChrist
46 minutes ago, Adviser/asker said:

There vague messages and depict the archangel Gabriel. They where made by Doreen Virtue. 

The messages where meant to be used as a medium but they can just as easily be regarded as mere sayings. If you want, I can cut them off. 

Gabriel would never involve himself with mediums. You can't cut away the original intent for the cards or why they were created. 

The hold these cards have over you is troubling. You can get actual prayer cards, created for Catholic prayer. If I knew you personally I would glad to give you some I have. You can through the angel oracle cards in the fireplace or trash. Let them go. 

493344605_IMG_20200307_2346191552.thumb.jpg.67c3841c007e8497a0aabf65a241fe84.jpg

869069718_IMG_20200307_2352458882.thumb.jpg.550d7d9d2dc90de4dce9f01551529108.jpg

572461500_IMG_20200307_2354575262.thumb.jpg.cf8a791ca0aba4a64dab41b5b0133265.jpg

This is one of my Prayer Cards, no vague messages to cutaway.

Edited by KnightofChrist

Adviser/asker

Alright then. I will go outside and burn them. 

Oh! I love that picture! I will screenshot it with the accompanying prayers. I can’t believe I thought those mere white oracle cards were prettier than this beautiful red! 

KnightofChrist
16 minutes ago, Adviser/asker said:

Alright then. I will go outside and burn them. 

Oh! I love that picture! I will screenshot it with the accompanying prayers. I can’t believe I thought those mere white oracle cards were prettier than this beautiful red! 

Here are prayer cards you can get. 

https://www.discountcatholicproducts.com/Catholic-Prayer-Cards-C415.aspx

Adviser/asker

Thank you. I will buy the one with Gabriel on it. I will probably get more than one, but that one is definitely on my list. Thank you!

Adviser/asker
2 hours ago, MIKolbe said:

I have a St. Michael the Archangel prayer card!  It's one of my favorites...

Cool!

Matthew Chapter 18: .......... “See that you do not despise one of these little ones. For I tell you that their angels in heaven always see the face of my Father in heaven."

The Church teaches that we all have a Guardian Angel throughout life.

My favourite Guardian Angel artist's impressions from childhood:

3jz_RmKmHFxZR2SDs8LnUMwNB9lo_fE1FIQrgR8t

My first Confirmation gift card

drjXeesxbcRj82OJPcX_o-Q4ZhULrm50t-Xzq-__

Angel of God, my guardian dear,
to whom God's love commits me here,
ever this day be at my side,
to light and guard, to rule and guide.
Amen.

St.-Michael-the-archangel.jpg

Prayer to St MIchael, Archangel - often the following prayer is on the back of a St Michael prayer card.  The prayer is traditionally said at the conclusion of The Rosary - sometimes at the end of Mass.

'Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil; May God rebuke him, we humbly pray; And do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Host, by the power of God, thrust into hell Satan and all evil spirits who wander through the world for the ruin of souls.

Edited by BarbaraTherese