An Old School Catholic Message Board

Covid-19

little2add

As the coronavirus pandemic spreads throughout the United States, some health experts are predicting that hospitals are not prepared to manage the anticipated number of patients, if there is a large spike in severe cases..The Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security estimates that 38 million Americans will need medical care for COVID-19, including as many as 9.6 million who will need to be hospitalized – about a third of whom might need ICU-level care. In a February presentation to the American Hospital Association, Lawler estimated that as many as 96 million Americans could be infected..

Most people with COVID-19 will have only mild symptoms. Studies of cases in other countries suggest that some of those responsible for community spread were never identified as infected because they didn’t develop any symptoms.

E6-E396-F1-880-A-4-B7-A-805-B-9-FBC6-FCF

If the virus only kills 1 percent of those who contract it, somewhere between 14 million and 42 million people are at risk. In countries like Iran and Italy, where health systems are overrun, the mortality rate can be much higher. 

Take care...

:amen: President Trump has declared that today (Sunday 15th March) in the USA is a national day of prayer for the Corona Virus situation.    I am in Australia - CV has no borders.

Thank you very much for posting the beautiful prayer,L2A :)

I did not know about St Marianne Cope and had to look it up: https://www.catholic.org/saints/saint.php?saint_id=7727  Being the patron of outcasts and lepers, she is more than appropriate for COVID-19 victims and we all are to some degree or other, but most especially those who have or will acquire the virus.

May the souls and all souls, through The Mercy of God, rest in Peace.  Amen.

All Masses in Ohio are suspended through at least Holy Week and Easter. The Obligation was dispensed from  last Sunday's Mass 

May the good lord bless and protect our nurse’s and healthcare professionals from the COVID-19 scourge.

C000201-A-6-AA6-4075-BDA0-5243-EB3-FBBCF
"A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

Edited by little2add

All public masses in St Pete Diocese have been suspended.  

They also have closed bars and discussing closing the beaches in Pinellas County.  

Not sure what all the Spring Break kids are gonna do....

This message goes out to my daughter Renee who lives far away and it’s out of touch with your family. 

Being (near)  quarantined, and knowing this  virus is out there, makes this a very anxious time for many, so  keep people's mental health in your prayers as well. Few suggestions for those going through a hard time.. 

Limit your exposure to news. Stay informed yes, but   it an also be mind-numbing after a while.  I suggest the same for social media, but make sure to check on  others that might be having a hard time with all of this as well... and don't be afraid to reach out to others that are willing to listen. 

If feasible,   get outside, go for a walk, a jog, etc. This is fine, and healthy,  as long as you distance yourself from others. If not, (or maybe even if it is) try to do some kind of mini workout in your home. Crunches, push ups,  lunges, anything. Exercise is good for  both the mind and body.  

And of course.. pray. pray. pray. 

As this 

came up, can we please, PLEASE find a monastery/ religious community broadcasting their celebration of the triduum paschale liturgy as a congregation?

I'm sad if I'm unable to be present in person, but that's okay as it seems to be necessary. But I'm not sure about how to handle seeing this liturgies celebrating (can one celebrate this on his/her own?!) by one lonely priest. 

Pope Francis has asked us to be united in praying the Luminous Mysteries.

F329941-E-6025-4-F91-B191-83656-A2-EDB7-

Let us pray. O God, whose only begotten Son, by His life, death, and resurrection, has purchased for us the rewards of eternal life, grant, we beseech Thee, that meditating upon these mysteries of the Most Holy Rosary of the Blessed Virgin Mary, we may imitate what they contain and obtain what they promise, through the same Christ Our Lord.

Amen

St. Roch (San Rocco in Italian and San Roque in Spanish) was a French nobleman. He donated his money to the poor, and when the plague erupted, he ministered to the sick. When he contracted the plague himself, he went away into the woods to die alone, so as not to infect others - social distancing even in the Middle Ages! But a dog brought him bread daily, and Roch recovered from the plague. He is now considered a patron of the sick and of dogs. (I grew up in St. Roch's parish, so I've known about him all my life. He's often depicted with his gown raised, to show a plague wound on his leg, and with a dog by his side.) His feast day is August 16th. 

Here is the traditional Prayer to St. Roch, which I suggest we pray for Covid-19 patients: 

O Blessed Saint Roch,
Patron of the sick,
Have pity on those
Who lie upon a bed of suffering.

Your power was so great
When you were in this world,
That by the sign of the Cross,
Many were healed of their diseases.

Now that you are in heaven,
Your power is not less.
Offer, then, to God
Our sighs and tears
And obtain for us that health we seek
Through Christ our Lord.

Amen.

Edited by Luigi

islandanchoress

In Ireland here. On a small offshore island..  I am both old ( nearly 80) and with serious health issues so in fact have been living isolation for several years; also my calling is as my username says. It needs accustoming to develop the balance you need and trust me that using the internet makes is many times easier. If you realise that then there will be no " mental health issues". We are created to be adaptable and versatile. When I was a child and later in life we needed not to think in terms of exercise as we walked everywhere, gardened, ie occupational exercise. A brisk walk is excellent. Spring cleaning....  Just now the anxiety and uncertainty are the damaging elements, waking each day to shocking new stats. the uncertainty. Not just the practicalities and uncertainties re jobs and income. Exercise will help that too; get out into the air. Listen to the birdsong, look for flowers and leaves.Out here on the small island I go out in the small hours, like the anchoresses of old, when there  is deep peace and silence. Someone mentioned mass in an empty church with a "lonely priest"? Jesus is with every priest at every mass. Come on now! We in Ireland have been and are livestreaming mass widely. I cannot attend so choose a different online mass  week by week even before covid. Look at and for the positive in this hard situation. We have wonderful responses from far flung communities who are rallying to support and provide eg shopping etc for those of us living alone and unable to get out and with the increasing restrictions.  See if there is help needed locally?