An Old School Catholic Message Board

ICYMI - Sr Catherine's tips for isolation

Sister Leticia

Sister Leticia

You may well have seen this already - a cloistered Dominican shares some tips for those who have to isolate due to Coronavirus. 

And if I'm not mistaken, she used to be a regular and valued part of this family?

https://www.nj.com/opinion/2020/03/im-a-nun-and-ive-been-social-distancing-for-29-years-here-are-tips-for-staying-home-amid-coronavirus-fears.html

Hoping you are all well, and in good spirits. I realise some of you might be facing the disappointment of cancelled Come & See weekends or longer visits, or other vocation-related plans might seem to be falling apart thanks to this unprecedented emergency. Let us hold each other, and all our loved ones, in prayer. 

Thank you, Sister.  Sister MC was the vocation director for the Dominicans in Summit, NJ for about 12 years, and a great source of info for everyone here on VS.

Prayers for you and your community.

What about those of us (of senior age) (still employed) who live alone, (albeit in a noisy apartment complex) and have only a very small number of family members?! 

I think it will be very difficult. But suggestions are crafts, painting, knitting, doing jigsaws. And reflection on how we can help others.

4 hours ago, nikita92 said:

What about those of us (of senior age) (still employed) who live alone, (albeit in a noisy apartment complex) and have only a very small number of family members?! 

Well, I assume that you wether have got some good experience in being on your own and/or a rather extensive social live with friends, coworkers etc. 

This is not always true because when you are elderly many of your friends and co-workers have died or moved away and contact has been lost.  Being alone can be a real hardship on those who are naturally inclined towards social interactions (extraverts), and many folks suffer from depression that is helped by activities and social contact.  To suddenly be alone in an apartment can be very hard and I send you virtual hugs, nikita92.  This will pass, hopefully soon.  The human toll of this "treatment" is higher than we know.  In the meantime, how about scrabble on line (lexulous), emails and facetime with friends, or going online with your local library.  Many libraries  are offering free streaming and on line courses and free links to ancestry.com and other services.  I wish I had magical solutions, but I humbly offer these. Be well.

conflicting-copy-Malaysian-Government-Sc

Example.............Free - Yale Online University

Free, no registration, taught by distinguished teachers and scholars at Yale University.  Multiple subjects.  Courses available in video, audio and text.

https://oyc.yale.edu/

Excerpt only............"Open Yale Courses provides free and open access to a selection of introductory courses taught by distinguished teachers and scholars at Yale University. The aim of the project is to expand access to educational materials for all who wish to learn.

All lectures were recorded in the Yale College classroom and are available in video, audio, and text transcript formats

Registration is not required

No course credit, degree, or certificate is available through the Open Yale Courses website. However, courses for Yale College credit are offered online through Yale Summer Online including OYC professors John Rogers and Craig Wright." 

The internet has been a big help during this period.  Not only because of the many varied forums I am a member of, but because YouTube has a plethora of short films on just about every subject one can imagine.  [There's a live webcam stream from the grotto at Lourdes, BTW]

On 3/18/2020 at 4:52 PM, Sister Leticia said:

I realise some of you might be facing the disappointment of cancelled Come & See weekends or longer visits, or other vocation-related plans might seem to be falling apart thanks to this unprecedented emergency.

I know a young lady who was supposed to enter my daughter's community yesterday.  I haven't heard whether she was allowed to enter (it is still Lent), and she has been on my mind and in my prayers a lot lately.

islandanchoress

I have been alone in terms of family etc for literally decades. Also unable to work for as long as that. There were hard and desolate times. But we are adaptable and versatile beings. We can and do adapt to survive. Over the years loneliness eased as I adapted and solitude in very real terms became my preference. Now I live as an anchoress on a small offshore island that has few facilities. I have not been offisland for nearly 18 months and have no plans or needs to do that. My health issues are not life threatening unless I catch an infection so solitude means peace and health.   

As others have said the internet is a source of so much. As is   handcrafting . I traded my knitting, hand made rosaries etc at craft fairs and street markets for many yeas before I got too old ( nearly 80 now) and still knit for sale etc.  

I am never lonely now; always alone. Also I have 6 cats, all rescues, whose adoration is a wonder!

It is what you each decide to make of it. I mourned for years, and that was needed probably. But there is a time for mourning and a time to set tears aside and to pick up that precious thread of life again. And trust me on this, this next phase will be far richer and deeper in love than anything that has gonv before.  It is saying YES PLEASE! With a full and willing heart.  I AM HERE, LORD! 

On 3/24/2020 at 5:56 PM, islandanchoress said:

Over the years loneliness eased as I adapted and solitude in very real terms became my preference.

:like2:

On 3/24/2020 at 5:56 PM, islandanchoress said:

And trust me on this, this next phase will be far richer and deeper in love than anything that has gonv before.  It is saying YES PLEASE! With a full and willing heart.  I AM HERE, LORD! 

:like2: "Speak Lord, for Your servant is listening" ............"teach me to do your will, for you are my God. May your gracious Spirit lead me forward on a firm footing. For the glory of your name, O LORD

Book Samuel Ch 3.

Psalm 143

Here's a Benedictine perspective, from Newark Abbey in Newark, New Jersey. Because of the coffee mug, I could almost have posted this is the humor thread, but I decided the Tips for Isolation was more appropriate. 

Sleep is for the Weak.png

On 3/20/2020 at 5:20 PM, Lea said:

Well, I assume that you wether have got some good experience in being on your own and/or a rather extensive social live with friends, coworkers etc. 

All I do is work, in a essential position outside my sanctuary.  Inside,  I live alone with 3 cats. I have no friends, no social life. FYI-  all my co workers are all male. . Because of the virus, my town's three Catholic churches are closed. In this Lenten season..not having any "like minded" Catholic people to share and help me spiritually (so to speak) is a very alone feeling!

10 hours ago, nikita92 said:

All I do is work, in a essential position outside my sanctuary.  Inside,  I live alone with 3 cats. I have no friends, no social life. 

That sounds kind of sad... are you fine with this way of live in normal times? 

Prayers assured! :)

So far, I have participated in online paraliturgies and prayer experiences with 4 different groups--thanks to many friends who have introduced them to me. I also "attend" the Liturgy of the Word each morning with the retired sisters in the community with which I am an Associate; it is livestreamed. The community has paired each retired sister with an "active" sister or associate who does not live in the motherhouse, and I've gotten to know a lovely retired nun with whom I talk every couple of days. I'm reading a lot. My department had an online "happy hour" last weekend, and other friends have hosted singalongs and game nights.

As one who lives alone, I don't know what I would do without social media. I'm also teaching my classes over Zoom and meeting with students whenever they want to talk. There is a lot to do. Ideal? No! But I'm grateful for my health, my secure income, and my friends.