An Old School Catholic Message Board

Discalced Carmelite Monastery | Wheeling, West Virginia

Kath

Hello!  My great aunt was a member of the Order of the Discalced Carmelites at the Monastery of St Teresa and St John in Wheeling, West Virginia in the 1920s-30s. I am looking for any history about that specific monastery so I can better appreciate her work and her life. I know that monastery no longer exists, but this group seems so rich with information I thought someone here might know of reference material I might review.  My warmest thanks.  Kath

There is an article in West Virginia History about this monastery: Barbara Howe, "Pioneers on a Mission for God: The Order of the Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Wheeling, 1848-1860." West Virginia History, Vol. 4, No. 1 (Spring 2010): 59-92. If you don't have access to a university library, a public library can get this for you on interlibrary loan.

Thank you. I am looking for information on a later period -- the Carmelite Monastery of St. Teresa and St. John of the Cross, which was created in Wheeling in the early 1900s.

• 11 months later...
Dr, Rosemarie Smead
On 3/30/2020 at 11:57 AM, Kath said:

Thank you. I am looking for information on a later period -- the Carmelite Monastery of St. Teresa and St. John of the Cross, which was created in Wheeling in the early 1900s.

• 10 months later...