An Old School Catholic Message Board

The joy of seeing someone decide to come back to Holy Confession

Poor Friars

Poor Friars

Personal Reflection of Friar Nathaniel (May, 2019)
The joy of seeing someone decide to come back to Holy Confession

From April 23 to April 29, I traveled by foot and hitchhiking from Houma (LA) to Mexico City according to Jesus’ instructions and our community’s charism: “Take nothing for the journey, neither walking stick, nor sack, nor food, nor money, and let no one take a second tunic” (Luke 9:3 NABRE).
I met many different people who helped me along this journey, but what they had all in common was the altruism that they concretely showed through helping me. In their genuine generosity I experienced the infinite providence of God who never forsakes those who seek Him (cf. Psalm 9:11).

One of the encounters that struck me most happened along the way to the Mexican city Santiago de Querétaro. There, a man gave me a ride, where we began to speak about languages, given that he works in an Italian company found also in Mexico. He therefore had learned some Italian words, so we shared different words in Italian, in English and in French, but the dialogue was mainly in Spanish. He was a man who liked to joke, so we took the time to laugh for a while.
Afterward, he explained to me that his wife, whom he had married in the Catholic Church, after many years, left him to live with another man. He also said that she does not help him take care of their son who was about 20 years old. Consequently, he was raising his son alone, but was not complaining and seemed to accept this suffering with a certain serenity. He told me that he was not in any other relationship...

(to read the rest of his reflection, please click HERE )

1554104049_2020_03_30.Nathaniel.thumb.jpg.68ab8b101cf58baa21d5bbb5e97f5c00.jpg

Edited by Poor Friars