An Old School Catholic Message Board

Private Vows and The Vatican

BarbTherese

BarbTherese

I came across what appears below for two only and quite some years back now:

Vita Consecrata http://www.vatican.va/content/john-paul-ii/en/apost_exhortations/documents/hf_jp-ii_exh_25031996_vita-consecrata.html

POST-SYNODAL
APOSTOLIC EXHORTATION
VITA CONSECRATA
OF THE HOLY FATHER
JOHN PAUL II ...........ON THE CONSECRATED LIFE AND ITS MISSION
IN THE CHURCH AND IN THE WORLD 

"Thanksgiving for the consecrated life

.........."................We are all aware of the treasure which the gift of the consecrated life in the variety of its charisms and institutions represents for the ecclesial community. Together let us thank God for the Religious Orders and Institutes devoted to contemplation or the works of the apostolate, for Societies of Apostolic Life, for Secular Institutes and for other groups of consecrated persons, as well as for all those individuals who, in their inmost hearts, dedicate themselves to God by a special consecration.

http://www.therealpresence.org/archives/Religious_Life/Religious_Life_033.htm 

"The Apostolate in Every Vocation to Follow Christ

................But as the Church developed, there appeared three types of Christian perfection which have not only survived to the present day but will continue until the end of time. In general, they are, first, the strictly monastic. It may be heremetical, but that is rare; there are very few hermits in the Roman Catholic Church. The monastic form has many variants. The cloistered communities would qualify under that general rubric. Second, apostolic communities, where they engage in some kind of apostolic work which carries their efforts, even if not the persons, outside of their own community life. And third, secular institutes.

There is a fourth category contemplated by the Holy See in anticipation of the new Code of Canon Law, so that something may be done for the thousands of women who seem not to want religious life yet seem to want to live especially dedicated lives in the Church. The secular institutes are a recent development of the Catholic Church. If there would be a fourth category, it would be some form of what we now call “secular institutes,” but the implications still have to be worked out."

I am really grappling with a nasty bipolar episode just now making concentration and memory (and more) not so good at all.  I am hoping there will be no posts other than mine therefore.  I did want to put it in anyway.

It is 6.30am almost and I have not slept all night.  But am in contact with my GP and psychiatrist.  So far, so good.  Deo Gratius.

Edited by BarbaraTherese