An Old School Catholic Message Board

Packing List for Sisters of Life

BurningFlame

BurningFlame

Hello,

I don’t know if anyone would happen to have a packing list for the Sisters of Life, but it would be much appreciated. I’m discerning and it came across me as to what I might need! Even just a packing list for a Come and See would be helpful! Thank you and have a blessed day! ❤️

Sponsa-Christi

I don't know anything about discerning with the Sisters of Life specifically, but usually for Come and See visits you just need to bring the clothes and toiletries you'll need for however many days you'll be there. Maybe also a spiritual book or a journal if you think you might have some downtime. If you need to bring anything else, the Sisters will tell you ahead of time.

For clothes, you can stick to whatever you'd normally wear that's modest, comfortable, and appropriate to wear to Mass. If you need something other than this (e.g., shoes you can hike in, clothes for grungy work, etc.), again, the Sisters will usually tell you.

Sister Leticia

Hello Burning Flame and welcome!

It's lovely that you're considering religious life, but you need to take things one step at a time. The most important, foundational attitude for anyone discerning anything is to be completely open to whatever God might be asking of us - to try and remain balanced, as it were, between different options, so that while we discern we can truly want only what God wants. This isn't easy, as we personally might prefer going in one direction rather than another: and so we need to beware of doing things which prematurely take us into one option - and therefore away from others. 

It sounds as though you haven't yet been on a Come & See with the Sisters of Life, and maybe you've only had very limited contact with them. It would be very difficult to begin discerning with them, with a truly open heart, if you've already jumped the gun and been going through whatever shopping lists and information they give their candidates. 

That said, I see on another thread that you've said you're still only 15. It'll be a while before you can enter anywhere, so even more reason to take things slowly, and one step at a time.

On 4/22/2020 at 1:00 PM, Sister Leticia said:

It would be very difficult to begin discerning with them, with a truly open heart, if you've already jumped the gun

Maybe... then again, maybe she just knows.  I have a Carmelite daughter that "knew" where she belonged from a young age.

On the other hand, she had a wonderful spiritual director that helped her parse out her desire for the Carmelite life, and in particular the very community she wanted to enter, by comparing/contrasting what other communities and orders had to offer  (and what she had to offer them).  I think that this is very important for those times when a vocation tries someone because it takes the questioning of "maybe I belong over there" off the table. However, he never even suggested she contact or visit any other communities. I am grateful to him.  He did not confuse her, but merely cemented her desire more firmly.

I do not know any Sisters of Life, but I recall, from another thread, that they are clear about accepting candidates aged between 21-35, and, even within that age group, converts only after they have been RC for 3 years. IIRC, neither applies to you.

If they have 'come and see' weekends for those who are years away from being able to apply, I'm sure all you would need are some clothing and toiletries - communities generally provide items such as the Divine Office books. But it seems odd that you are planning to visit now (on a 'come and see', not just to meet others), and I wonder if the community has made that offer, or if you are hoping for an invitation that is not likely to be any time soon.

Since you said 'packing lists, EVEN for a come and see,' I'm wondering if you are considering what they require actual postulants to bring with them - you might not be able to be open to discernment if you already are planning for what is years away, if it happens at all. 

Edited by gloriana35
forgot a line

futuresister

Did you contact the Sisters of Life? I did awhile ago and I encourage you to email them. I am 17 and not yet Catholic, but they were still very helpful. Their email is vocations@sistersoflife.org

Lily May Gath

It wasn’t clear if you were talking about what to pack for a Come and See or Retreat or for entering.

For a come and see or retreat you should think about taking some clothes that are suitable for wearing in Chapel, and also something suitable for doing something more active or untidy like recreation sport or cleaning, cooking or gardening. Take a Bible, a notebook and pencil, a Rosary and if you have one, a  copy of the Liturgy of the Hours or Christian Prayer. Try to travel light and don’t take loads of stuff, make-up etc. You won’t need your laptop... take it as a chance to leave the tech at home.

For those entering, the community will give you a list of what you will need. It basically means bringing most of what you will need to last you through a year or two until you receive the habit or make first vows, which is when the Community begins to take real financial responsibility for you.

Communities like the Sisters of Life, DSMME and Nashville Dominicans may well ask you to sew aprons and perhaps skirts and vests. They will send you the patterns and instructions. You may want to start to learn how to do a little hand sewing and how to use a sewing machine for the basics. Most communities need to repair and make their own habits and many postulants make their first habit towards the end of their postulant year. You may need a few basic sewing things like needles, threads, scissors, pins and safety pins - the sisters’ secret weapon for keeping body and soul together...

You need clothes; underwear and pull up socks, t-shirts, pyjamas, bath robe slippers, bedding and towels. also probably two pairs of shoes, sports shoes and winter boots. Also coats and clothes for different weather, cardigan, fleece, light anorak, winter anorak and formal dress long woolen coat, gloves and a winter hat, a pair of sunglasses, a backpack, a couple of suitcases and an alarm clock.

For daily needs you need some very basic toiletries and personal items, hairbrush, comb, a couple of toothbrushes and things like nailscissors, tweezers...

You will need a very few books, a set of the Liturgy of the Hours, a Bible, a Missal or set of Missals if you wish and a couple of Church documents like the Catechism of the Catholic Church and on the religious life like Vita Consecrata. Again, the Community will tell you.

For study and writing you will need some basic stationary supplies, and many who enter especially say stamps for sending letters and art and a few craft things that you have already.

The community will send you the information you need at the time. They will advise on things like personal records, photographs, crucifixes and what to bring and not to bring.

They often like art and craft and hobby supplies for making things and for recreation. You may be able to bring your musical instrument and some sheet music.

Most of these are things that you probably will have already anyway. You may want to begin to get a set of Liturgy of the Hours, or Christian Prayer, Missal and to buy or replace anything like a backpack or suitcase or towels or bedding with very plain ones that you can take with you. You will have plenty of time for this as I am not sure if the Sisters of Life are pretty cautious and don’t really begin formal discernment with candidates under 18 years, and don’t accept entrants who are under 21. From their newsletters and their website their candidates seem to be over 21 and to have been to college. Nashville and DSMME do accept straight from High School in some cases, but again most have been to college.

gloriana35

It may not be universal, but communities nearly always have copies of the Divine Office and bibles. You won't need to pack these items for a 'come and see.'