An Old School Catholic Message Board

Carmelites 1990 constitutions in Uk

maryteresa

maryteresa

Hi everyone,

I want to know about convent Carmelite in Kirk Edge, but their website closed. If anyone know any thing about Sisters there, please let me know.

Hi maryteresa, I asked about this last year on this thread:

Didn't get much further but it's been a question for a while! I would be grateful if anybody has information too.

I only know what I've read on here. It  is a strict very traditional Carmel.  Whenever I have seen this  Carmel mentioned  people always speak very highly of it. There was a poster who entered here a good few years ago but didn't stay as it didn't work out and she was very sorry to leave. Don't think she is still on the forum.  You could try writing to the Novice Mistress just to make a general enquiry.

Sister Leticia

Welcome MaryTeresa!

The Association of British Carmels has this website with a lot of information about Carmelite life, spirituality, saints etc, and discernment resources. https://carmelitenuns.uk/

Each Carmel has its own page, where it can say as much or as little as it likes about itself, and link to its website, if it has one. A few don't appear to have websites, but - with the exception of Kirk Edge - they've used the page to describe themselves. Kirk Edge have chosen to only list their address.

I'm assuming you've googled them? If so, you'll know there are a few articles out there, for example a Wikipedia entry about the monastery building and its history, and some blog posts by a discerner who entered there several years ago. (I don't know if she's still there, or if she's the woman GraceUK refers to?) But of course, these are "outsiders" writing about the community, and the information isn't current. So if you'd like to know more, you will have to send a letter, probably to the prioress.  

I live near them. They're still there. The simplest thing to do would be to just write to them.