An Old School Catholic Message Board

“Is the SSPX in Schism? YES. Find out why” - I’ve made a video and would be very grateful for your feedback

HumilityAndPatience

HumilityAndPatience

Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ, I’m a new member of this forum and would be very grateful for your honest feedback on a video I have created. I was kindly pointed in your direction by one of the Mediators of Meh at r/Catholicism due to their SSPX moratorium. 

It’s about the SSPX and proving their schism (hopefully not a controversial view on this forum! Though I do of course welcome discussion/views to the contrary). I would be very grateful for your thoughts on the video. In part one I have given a brief intro and covered the history at a headline level. In part two I have gone into more detail on what the SSPX believes.

Online communities have been so useful to me personally over the years, especially with regards to Traditional Catholicism- the media here has become very saturated with views difficult to discern. As such, I would very much welcome your honest feedback and discussion if there are any points I have missed or got wrong. God bless! Our Lady, pray for us.

• 2 weeks later...
HumilityAndPatience

(Note for Mediators of Meh- I realise this can be a controversial subject so completely understand if this post needs removing)

Hi All,

I have finished the final part of this video. Any feedback would be most appreciated. Likewise, discussion also is invited so please let me know your thoughts! I have pasted the outline of the video below. Pax Christi!

• Part 1 - https://youtu.be/-WClN56F30o
  • >Intro
  • >History 
  • >>>(inception - today)
  • >>>What pronouncements have we seen from the Vatican?
  • Part 2 - https://youtu.be/RC4DK7R-m_Y
  • >Views of the Society:
  • >>>Vatican 2
  • >>>The New Mass
  • >>>Rome and the Vatican
  • >>>Lefebvre’s defence- The State of Necessity
  • Part 3 - https://youtu.be/AK5pZVy0O30
  • >Views of important Catholics on the matter
  • >Common objections:
  • >>>Without the SSPX there would be no Latin Mass
  • >>>The Pope cannot grant faculties to those outside the church (referring to the indults of Pope Francis)
  • >>>But the SSPX respects the authority of the Pope- prays for him daily and holds a portrait up of him
  • >>>Show us where it says “Material schism” or “Partial Communion” in canon law
  • >closing comments

The are irregular, but they are not in schism. By falsely representing their situation, you draw attention away from the actual problem. If they were schismatic we could not receive their sacraments as Rome allows..

HumilityAndPatience
16 hours ago, Br_Allen said:

The are irregular, but they are not in schism. By falsely representing their situation, you draw attention away from the actual problem. If they were schismatic we could not receive their sacraments as Rome allows..

Thanks for the reply Br_Allen it is most appreciated. I understand your point. However I believe I have clarified this by distinguishing between material and formal schism. The schism is implicit by virtue of our Brother's in the Societies various schismatic pronouncements.

• 2 months later...
cutenickname

I am watching. When I was Catholic this was a source of anxiety for me. This is good and important work you have done here. Phatmass in the olden days would have never let this just linger.

• 2 weeks later...
HumilityAndPatience
On 8/23/2020 at 7:12 PM, cutenickname said:

I am watching. When I was Catholic this was a source of anxiety for me. This is good and important work you have done here. Phatmass in the olden days would have never let this just linger.

Thanks so much for the comment and feedback. I have received a lot of hate as a result of this video...

It seems as if you can't be a Catholic who loves Tradition, without espousing the views of Vigano, Taylor Marshall, the Remnant etc. these days. And I worry a lot that MANY impressionable Catholics are being caught in this trap.

May I ask why you are no longer a Catholic?

18 minutes ago, HumilityAndPatience said:

Thanks so much for the comment and feedback. I have received a lot of hate as a result of this video...

It seems as if you can't be a Catholic who loves Tradition, without espousing the views of Vigano, Taylor Marshall, the Remnant etc. these days. And I worry a lot that MANY impressionable Catholics are being caught in this trap.

May I ask why you are no longer a Catholic?

Marshall has a bad energy about him from the tiny bit I have watched. The others are inarguably wingnuts. I asked a SSPX guy on your channel how his position was different than mine; I am a very peculiar Anglo-Catholic who has my own idiosyncratic understanding of what is within the bounds of Tradition and what the nature of the Petrine Primacy is--never saw a response (though I have deleted all my youtube comments since).

I am a boy that married another boy, got two kids (seems more like a million), and became a High Church Anglican. This is primarily why I left the Church it is not my only reason, however. I won't go further though. I am here for Christian fellowship. Not debate or culture warring.

HumilityAndPatience
1 hour ago, cutenickname said:

Marshall has a bad energy about him from the tiny bit I have watched. The others are inarguably wingnuts. I asked a SSPX guy on your channel how his position was different than mine; I am a very peculiar Anglo-Catholic who has my own idiosyncratic understanding of what is within the bounds of Tradition and what the nature of the Petrine Primacy is--never saw a response (though I have deleted all my youtube comments since).

I am a boy that married another boy, got two kids (seems more like a million), and became a High Church Anglican. This is primarily why I left the Church it is not my only reason, however. I won't go further though. I am here for Christian fellowship. Not debate or culture warring.

Thanks for the reply, Brother. And the encouragement on the video. 

And thanks also for sharing re your own position. I am a cradle Catholic, who had a reversion, myself. Peace