An Old School Catholic Message Board

Beware of Catechesis of the Good Shepherd.

Br_Allen

The Catechesis of the Good Shepard has problems in three main areas. The first is a lack of an objective curriculum and thus no guarantee that the teachers will cover the necessary material to properly catechize the students. Secondly, we can see that some of the faculty who implement and train CGS catechists are not always orthodox. Third, there are concepts of how to teach which are taken from Maria Montessori who wrote academic journals for the Theosophy Society in India.

1) No complete curriculum

Unlike a traditional curriculum that follows a single book for all who teach the same class, each catechist forms the class from their album page. The album page is written by the catechist during training sessions and is slightly different for each catechist depending on the instructor. There is a master plan which generally reveals what is to be presented to all the catechists. CGS sets the foundations for the capacity for the specific doctrines to be conveyed within the album pages through these specified themes. The contents of these album pages are handwritten and passed down from the CGS instructor to the catechist during CGS training. What is problematic are specific doctrines, as directed by the bishops, that must be covered in all classes, however, time and again the album pages reveal that vast amounts of Catholic doctrine are missing from the program.

Upon observing these album pages you will find the CGS system is missing many essential details such as the Trinity, sanctifying grace, original sin, angels, and Marian doctrine. This is partly because CGS ideology believes that the catechist is not to teach but to let the child come to the conclusion through the inner spiritual knowledge of the child. The founders of CGS even admit to removing parts of catechesis they did not find to be essential. However, since there is no formal curriculum, CGS has never been approved or condemned by the USCCB.

The CGS catechists are not encouraged to teach, for only Christ is the teacher, and the catechists are a mere guide who asks pondering questions. This combined with only a slim outline of content which needs to be covered, it is unlikely that the catechists will cover the necessary material as has been mandated by the US bishops. It is true that one can adopt elements from the CGS style to convey the faith in a manner that is both adequate and orthodox, but as this blog will reveal, this will only be done through ignoring much of the ideology of CGS.

2) Implemented by unorthodox members

Though there is not a universal formal curriculum/album pages, all CGS catechists go to classes to be trained to teach CGS and learn the CGS ideology and method. At the very heights of this organization, we see people who drastically deviate from the Church's teachings. One example is Catherine Maresca, who's website (Center for Children and Theology) is supported by CGSUSA. Maresca's site is linked to by CGSUSA and contains materials to aid children in participating in prayers of other religions such as Islam. They even sell zen gong to be rung before each class, and materials to participate in Buddhist rituals and meditation.

The yearly CGSUSA retreat also contains unorthodox members such as Catherine Maresca who gives talks on implementing CGS. These conferences are called "Weaving Our Gifts" and is organized by the Center for Children and Theology run by Catherine Maresca. Here the unorthodoxy of CGSUSA is also manifest by liberals such as Sr. Linda Gibbler as you can see below.

3) CGS is based on the style and ideology of Maria Montessori. Unlike the traditional method of passing on truths where the students learn from the learned, the catechist is not to teach the student for this would impede the student's creativity. Maria Montessori taught that the child has special knowledge not found in adults which he can tap into and come to know truths. As we shall show this does not come from a Christian understanding in which the faith must be passed down from previous generations, for certain things can only be known through revelation. Rather Maria Montessori's journal writings for Theosophy Society in India reveal that her ideology came from the teachings of false religions. This blog will show how these ideas from theosophy are permeated though the method and ideology of CGS.

Learn More

Beware this guy.^

My wife and I are about as conservative and Catholic as you can get. Catechesis of the Good Shepherd rocks, is orthodox, and has done well to teach my 7 seven kids and 100s of kids at our parish. 

Specifically, due to the Catechetical work my kids and all my wife's students know that the Blood and Body of Jesus is actually and substantially present in the Eucharist at Mass. 

You write about something which you have no experience. 

You do not know that I have not experienced CGS. Also, the fact that your children know that the Blood and Body of Jesus is actually and substantially present in the Eucharist at Mass is hardly proof that there is nothing wrong with CGS.

If my content is false, then show me with evidence that my statements about CGS are false and I will gladly change them.

Edited by Br_Allen

Br_Allen

I have never heard about 'Catechesis of the Good Shepherd' before. I followed the link posted by you, that is to your website. The result: I have problems with both CGS and with your website.

First about CGF. I do not like the fact that I cannot find anywhere the samples of the text in their books. I checked a few books in their stores; many titles and especially their explanations strike me as "esoteric" and simply ring wrong because their style reminds me of some real esoteric texts I am familiar with (occult) - very much watered down but there is a similarity of the spirit.

I read in various sources that Montessori was a friend with occultists (theosophy), lived with them, etc. Again, because I am very familiar with those things I would not deal with anything that is coming from that the Montessory school. I have heard that those schools do excellent work for the children with learning problems and I have no reason to doubts it but knowing what theosophy is and how it affects even those who did not actively practice it is I simply would not come close. On the other hand, if I learnt that Montessory renounced occult at some point of her life so as her followers I would not have any problem with the whole thing.

Second, your website and how you present yourself. You are making a rather ambitious statement about who you are "We are a highly trained group, embedded with the sacred doctrines of Thomism to ensure our capacity to verify doctrinal orthodoxy" but you provide neither names nor references (at least i could find none). To see no names is always discouraging. Next, some of your materials I was particularity interested in are very difficult to read because you use light font over the dark background. It is very hard on eyes so I was forced to stop reading.

Edited by Anastasia

18 hours ago, Br_Allen said:

Where is the why don't people care about corrupting the youth emoji?

corrupting the youth?

honestly?

where's the hand-wringing, over-reaction emoji??

a corruption out our youth?  seriously? not hyperbole, but seriously?

corruption?  

really?

1 hour ago, MIKolbe said:

corrupting the youth?

honestly?

If the philosophers were worried about the youth being corrupted though sensual music. Then we can have an even stronger concern about the youth begin corrupted through bad catechesis. 

4 hours ago, Br_Allen said:

If the philosophers were worried about the youth being corrupted though sensual music. Then we can have an even stronger concern about the youth begin corrupted through bad catechesis. 

with logic like that, how can i argue?

11 hours ago, MIKolbe said:

with logic like that, how can i argue?

You have attacked me with vague arguments that could be said about anyone without referencing any specific problem. These are the tactics of someone who does not like what someone else says but knows they cant defend their own position. If there are errors in what I have said point them out. If not, then have the humility to accept that what I say might be true.

On 6/18/2020 at 2:32 AM, Anastasia said:

Br_Allen

I have never heard about 'Catechesis of the Good Shepherd' before. I followed the link posted by you, that is to your website. The result: I have problems with both CGS and with your website.

First about CGF. I do not like the fact that I cannot find anywhere the samples of the text in their books. I checked a few books in their stores; many titles and especially their explanations strike me as "esoteric" and simply ring wrong because their style reminds me of some real esoteric texts I am familiar with (occult) - very much watered down but there is a similarity of the spirit.

I read in various sources that Montessori was a friend with occultists (theosophy), lived with them, etc. Again, because I am very familiar with those things I would not deal with anything that is coming from that the Montessory school. I have heard that those schools do excellent work for the children with learning problems and I have no reason to doubts it but knowing what theosophy is and how it affects even those who did not actively practice it is I simply would not come close. On the other hand, if I learnt that Montessory renounced occult at some point of her life so as her followers I would not have any problem with the whole thing.

Second, your website and how you present yourself. You are making a rather ambitious statement about who you are "We are a highly trained group, embedded with the sacred doctrines of Thomism to ensure our capacity to verify doctrinal orthodoxy" but you provide neither names nor references (at least i could find none). To see no names is always discouraging. Next, some of your materials I was particularity interested in are very difficult to read because you use light font over the dark background. It is very hard on eyes so I was forced to stop reading.

If you have trouble reading the website, I would recommend copy and posting the text into MS word or any text editor.

I will agree that there are some advantages to the Montessori style. The problems with CGS, is that the teaching method is based on the idea that children are 'little messiahs' and have access to special knowledge which adults do not have. Any attempt to adopt the Montessori methods must reject this position which her teaching method is built upon.

We do not give names because we do not wish to be targeted or harassed by people associated with CGS. I am sorry if this bothers you, but what is important is that our information is accurate.

1 hour ago, Br_Allen said:

You have attacked me with vague arguments that could be said about anyone without referencing any specific problem. These are the tactics of someone who does not like what someone else says but knows they cant defend their own position. If there are errors in what I have said point them out. If not, then have the humility to accept that what I say might be true.

attacked?

you seem to have a proclivity for overreaction and hyperbole. 

this makes it difficult for me to take your arguments seriously, but not impossible..so you're right..i have to work on that. I tend to be a mirror which reflects that nonsense with which it is presented, where I should be more like Christ and mirror His love, and that of the Father and the Spirit, in spite of said nonsense.

have a nice day.

4 hours ago, Br_Allen said:

We do not give names because we do not wish to be targeted or harassed by people associated with CGS. I am sorry if this bothers you, but what is important is that our information is accurate.

I haven't been to your website, but this indicates that the posters are anonymous, correct? I strongly disapprove.

In the old days - like from Adam & up up to the advent of the Internet - statements were made by identifiable people. Those who disagreed on a topic knew who the other parties were - and rightfully so. Anonymous statements - or accusations, or challenges, or whatever else - are unfair. The rhetorical situation must always include who is speaking to whom, about what, and for what purpose. That's the only way one can customize one's arguments and language to address the speakers and their topic. 

Does your organization also use the (anti-Catholic) Guy Fawkes masks that the Anonymous organization uses? 

Guy Fawkes mask.jpg

10 hours ago, Br_Allen said:

If you have trouble reading the website, I would recommend copy and posting the text into MS word or any text editor.

Thank you, I am familiar with this method but it is highly inconvenient (and also, web design-wise, the necessity of such an action means "the website is not well done" or "the authors do not care about the reader's experience" since the reader must conduct an additional action). The question arises, why not to create a text of high readability initially instead of expecting a reader to do the work? 

My critique of your design comes not just from my preferences and difficulties with reading but also from a formal education in graphic design and professional experience. There are rules which a designer must follow if he wants his audience to read the text. One of the rules says that one should not overuse the light text against the dark background. (In a case of your website, much of the light text is also done as Italic and it makes its readability even worse.) It can be used occasionally, typically for small portions of the text. Those who ignore this rule lose the audience.

(That was a constructive critique)

11 hours ago, Br_Allen said:

I will not comment the above, it is your choice obviously. But even more so there is need to make a good, light design. The darkness of your website that clearly conveys a sense of "a mystery", closed doors, secret information etc being combined with the anonymous authorship automatically put the website into a category of... well, anonymous accusatory "remnant-type" things. 

Edited by Anastasia