An Old School Catholic Message Board

Fund the police

little2add

little2add

Doesn’t it make more sense to hire additional police rather than him reduce numbers.    reducing officer workload would increase the likelihood of solving violent crimes. Police officers are overworked and overstressed.  police officers have to respond to everything from potholes in the street, to cats stuck up a tree, Domestic violence, deadly traffic accidents, drunkenness and operating a motor Vehicle, etc.   It’s not a easy job.  

I think mistakes are made by police because They are overwhelmed and are stretched too thin.  

The BLM movement has destroyed all respect for the rule of law and respect for police.   Defunding will not solve anything, except for fanning the flames of HATE

17 people were shot dead in Chicago, last weekend, for no reason.   It’s a crying shame!

Edited by little2add

Carl Sandberg, "Chicago," 1914

Hog Butcher for the World,
        Tool maker, Stacker of Wheat,
        Player with Railroads and the Nation's
             Freight Handler;
        Stormy, husky, brawling,
        City of the Big Shoulders:

They tell me you are wicked and I believe them, for I have seen your painted women under the gas lamps luring the farm boys.
And they tell me you are crooked and I answer: yes, it is true I have seen the gunman kill and go free to kill again.
And they tell me you are brutal and my reply is: On the faces of women and children I have seen the marks of wanton hunger.
And having answered so I turn once more to those who sneer at this my city, and I give them back the sneer and say to them:
Come and show me another city with lifted head singing so proud to be alive and coarse and strong and cunning.
Flinging magnetic curses amid the toil of piling job on job, here is a tall bold slugger set vivid against the little soft cities;
Fierce as a dog with tongue lapping for action, cunning as a savage pitted against the wilderness,
            Bareheaded,
            Shoveling,
            Wrecking,
            Planning,
            Building, breaking, rebuilding,
Under the smoke, dust all over his mouth, laughing with white teeth,
Under the terrible burden of destiny laughing as a young man laughs,
Laughing even as an ignorant fighter laughs who has never lost a battle,
Bragging and laughing that under his wrist is the pulse, and under his ribs the heart of the people,
            Laughing!
Laughing the stormy, husky, brawling laughter of Youth, half-naked, sweating, proud to be Hog Butcher, Tool Maker, Stacker of Wheat, Player with Railroads and Freight Handler to the Nation.

Americans have big appetites for everything, for drugs above all else, for fruit and produce, for tobacco, now for cannabis. Police come from the same society everyone else does. They're the bureaucrats of power, like the middle class professionals who make up middle America. When we talk about increasing the police, already we've lost any kind of national discussion and the racism comes through. Police and prison are national institutions, they are the primary means America deals with its underclass, especially its black underclass but increasingly the white underclass as well, with white ppl killing themselves off through drugs and suicide. So this is a long way of saying no, we don't need more police, as if a policeman has any authority over a grown man. Police are supposed to be part of the community, not the solvers of society's social inequalities. As it is now, police are local military. In California, the same black and brown ppl who would have been imprisoned for selling marijuana, can now legally sell it to white ppl, with the state seal. The War on Drugs is over and it's time for the police to be demilitarized and sent home. They're just citizens like everyone else.

Edited by Era Might

It’s not just the drugs.  

We will always have conflict and tensions in society because people want different things in life, put in different effort, and experience long term, generational consequences of both their own choices and effects of other’s actions as well. 

A bit of cannot and would not.  

Most people simply want to live their lives they way they want to.    It’s a fight when it affects, or seems to affect, others.  And we never really know how much is your fault, their fault, or just the cost of being tolerant of others choices.  It’s not going to be resolved by violence. 

little2add
2 hours ago, Era Might said:

The War on Drugs is over

Hardly

In 2018, 67,367 people died in the US from (illegal) drug overdose’s.    

Fatal poisonings, more than 90% of which are drug overdoses, have increased by nearly 600% in the past 3 decades to become the leading cause of injury death in the United States.

Were it not for police paramedics Administering Naloxone (medication that reverses respiratory depression from opioid overdose) thousands of young adults would die.  

Police are needed.

5 minutes ago, little2add said:

Hardly

In 2018, 67,367 people died in the US from (illegal) drug overdose’s.    

Fatal poisonings, more than 90% of which are drug overdoses, have increased by nearly 600% in the past 3 decades to become the leading cause of injury death in the United States.

Were it not for police paramedics Administering Naloxone (medication that reverses respiratory depression from opioid overdose) thousands of young adults would die.  

Police are needed.

This is exactly why the War on Drugs is over. 40+ years of "war" and the problem is worse than ever. Supposedly we're in a War against coronavirus. Imagine if in 2060, 67,367 ppl were dying yearly from coronavirus. And the solution was to hire more coroners. That's what the police are in this analogy, overworked coroners.

little2add
19 minutes ago, Era Might said:

hire more coroners.

Defunding coroners is akin to defunding police :think2: makes sense 

22 minutes ago, little2add said:

Defunding coroners is akin to defunding police :think2: makes sense 

The point is that if, after 50 years, the War on Drugs has the noble distinction of 67k fatal overdoses every year, then it's a failed war. If you're hiring coroners, you're not solving the problem of coronavirus. If you're hiring police because you have unprecedented rates of drug overdose and youth violence, you're putting a lot of faith in government and state violence, and that's never a good reflection on society. Anyway, the image of lawless streets and leftist revolution is Trumpist propaganda. He's gotta play to all the scared white ppl who vote for him.

little2add
1 hour ago, Era Might said:

The point is that if,

Police departments are overworked and understaffed and not appreciated,  even worse disrespected. 

We (Society) need more not less policeman to keep the peace

truthfinder

Why does it have to be police? You mention potholes and cats in trees.  Those are not jobs for police.  Instead, money should be put into a civic (non emergency) line.  Many places have them. 

little2add

They’re overworked and spread too thin, in my opinion.   how will defunding help the situation?

06-FAF7-EE-170-F-4-D6-B-9-F89-2-E1299-AF

little2add

FYI: Nearly 40 people were shot and three were killed during 4th of July weekend celebrations in New York City, police said.

The violence followed the city’s decision to strip more than $1 billion in funding from the New York Police Department (NYPD) and disband a prominent anti-crime unit.

1 hour ago, little2add said:

They’re overworked and spread too thin, in my opinion.   how will defunding help the situation?

06-FAF7-EE-170-F-4-D6-B-9-F89-2-E1299-AF

How will funding help the situation? America has a deficit of democracy. Black American citizens protest 500 years of history, and in America this is interpreted as the Haitian Revolution taking place in 2020. That's how racially warped the American mind is. Black ppl are problems to be solved by police, not actual citizens to be taken seriously when they exercise the second amendment and defend liberty and freedom according to the system they've been given. In all these suburbs and gentrified zones sweeping up across America, white and middle class ppl are peeping out there blinders wondering where all these black ppl came from and why they're so angry.  They want the police to keep everything civil, rather than look outside and face reality. But I think even a lot of white ppl are waking up to reality and the racist mind they've inherited. Black ppl are American citizens. They are making themselves heard and virtually the entire world has stood up in solidarity. Trump is losing right now, we'll see what he does.

When you increase police, but don't solve the deficit of democracy that makes the political system useless, you get a police state for an authoritarian like Trump.

who-was-the-tank-man-of-tiananmen-square

Edited by Era Might