An Old School Catholic Message Board

I'm not choosing the lesser of two evils anymore

dUSt

A bishop of Knoxville (TN) stated this Friday that, as a pro-life Catholic, he will not vote for anyone who supports abortion ‘in any way,’ and every true Christian should vote against ‘slavery.’ 

He additionally explained how President Trump is the only man that could save America out of this misery, not Biden or Pelosi. He then went further criticizing Biden and Pelosi for proclaiming that they are “faithful Catholics.”

The effect of abortion is “no different” from slavery, says Bishop Rick Stika on Twitter, noting that a mother “does not own her child” and “70 million aborted children will agree.”

Bishop Stika also explains that the biblical story of King Herod’s slaughter of the innocents at the time of Christ has unique implications in our age of legal abortion.

“Perhaps the story of the Holy Innocents and how their lives were taken from them is a story directed to our day and age,” he writes. “They however, were able to experience fresh air, the warmth of the sun and the beauty of creation,” whereas aborted babies are not.

As he has done on different events, Stika disagrees with politicians who guarantee to be Catholic yet then mock the Church’s most fundamental teaching on the holiness of innocent human life.

“I think it is sad that both Mr. Biden and Mrs. Pelosi enjoy touting their Catholic faith in public and proclaim that they are ‘faithful Catholics,'” the bishop explained. “How about practicing what they preach[?] And Mrs. Pelosi loves to lecture people on the faith.”

“Many people believe that faith leaders should not comment about those who support abortion. It is too political,” he stated. “I guess they would have also said they same about slavery and the opposition to lynching’s [sic], segregation and Jim Crowe [sic]…. too political.”

LINK: https://dailyrednews.com/pro-life-tennessee-bishop-americans-must-not-vote-for-anyone-who-supports-abortion-president-trump-is-the-only-man-who-can-save-america/?fbclid=IwAR0bPam4bh3bdaqEmQNCbScza-9hhNymp71HMvQhtCUrVaFr5z8-AYAlBKc

Edited by little2add

On 9/5/2020 at 3:59 PM, dUSt said:

I remember that.

I remember something bordering on mania around the times that McCain and Romney ran. :hehe:

On 9/6/2020 at 9:23 PM, Nihil Obstat said:

I remember something bordering on mania around the times that McCain and Romney ran. :hehe:

I remember the Romney threads. :smile3: For some reason insisted that a third party vote was a vote for the democratic party. 

Why not think of the next election as making the best choice instead of the lesser of two evils. 
in my opinion one of the candidates is a victim of a vicious smear campaign, And the other is a puppet

• 2 weeks later...

Why choose evil ("evil candidate") when you can choose good instead?

Thanks to  some of the posters here posting back in 2015-2016, and maybe before, I came to the conclusion of voting for ASP candidates would be the right thing to do in 2016. Also a member of ASP, the only sound political party in the USA.  Best choice.

Edited by Seven77

https://diolc.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/Statement-Father-James-Altman-090920.pdf

STATEMENT REGARDING FATHER JAMES ALTMAN FROM BISHOP WILLIAM PATRICK CALLAHAN

Fr. James Altman has become a social media phenomenon and is now a main stream media story. The amount of calls and emails we are receiving at the Diocesan offices show how divisive he is. I am being pressured by both sides for a comment; one side holds him up as a hero or a prophet, the other side condemns him and vilifies him and demands I silence him.

As I review Fr. Altman’s latest video statement of 30 August 2020, I understand the undeniable truth that motivates his message. When we approach issues that are contradictory to the Faith and teachings of Jesus Christ and the Catholic Church, particularly on abortion and other life issues, we should invite dialogue and heart-felt conversion to the truth. Our approach must never seek to divide, isolate and condemn.

That being said it is not only the underlying truth that needs to be evaluated but also the manner of delivery and the tone of his message. Unfortunately, the tone Fr. Altman offers comes off as angry and judgmental, lacking any charity and in a way that causes scandal both in the Church and in society. His generalization and condemnation of entire groups of people is completely inappropriate and not in keeping with our values or the life of virtue.

I am applying Gospel principles to the correction of Fr. Altman. “If your brother does something wrong to you, go to him. Talk alone to him and tell him what he has done. If he listens to you, you have kept your brother as a friend. But if he does not listen to you, take one or two others with you to talk to him.” (Mt 18:15-16). I have begun this process, not in the bright light of the public arena, but as the Gospel dictates, in private. Canon law indicates that before penalties are imposed, we need to ensure that fraternal correction, rebuke or other means of pastoral solicitude will not be sufficient to repair the scandal (can. 1341).

Most people expect a decisive move from me, one way or another. Many suggest immediate penalties that will utterly silence him; others call for complete and unwavering support of his views. Canonical penalties are not far away if my attempts at fraternal correction do not work. I pray that Fr. Altman’s heart and eyes might be open to the error of his ways and that he might take steps to correct his behavior and heal the wound he has inflicted on the Body of Christ.

Pray for me as I address this issue, and pray for Fr. Altman that he might hear and respond to my fraternal correction. Finally, please pray for the Church that we might seek the truth in charity and apply it in our daily actions.

While I agree that Planned Parenthood is racist, and Fr Altman says many things I wish more priests would say, he's clearly very politically biased. This doesn't change minds or hearts, it just gets him cheers from the one's who already agree with him.

9 hours ago, little2add said:

87-B32-B49-BCF6-406-E-AE85-50060-AB9-C34

:heart: this pic

I blocked you, then unblocked you, but decided to stop paying attention to you. But man that is very close to blasphemous, it is lawless and vulgar in any case. Do you actually know Christ?

1 hour ago, cutenickname said:

Do you?

In a recent comment thread on another site, one commenter alluded to the story to argue against the notion that Jesus’ message was one of nonviolence. It’s not the first time that such inference has been drawn from the story: the gospel account has also been invoked as a justification for the crusades.

So what is the real meaning of the story?

5-C174233-EB3-F-45-BA-AFA6-D10-C9-AA3739

Christ Driving the Money Changers from the Temple is a painting by El Greco, from 1568, now in the National Gallery of Art in Washington, D.C.

It depicts the Cleansing of the Temple, an event in the Life of Christ.

51 minutes ago, little2add said:

In a recent comment thread on another site, one commenter alluded to the story to argue against the notion that Jesus’ message was one of nonviolence. It’s not the first time that such inference has been drawn from the story: the gospel account has also been invoked as a justification for the crusades.

Christ Driving the Money Changers from the Temple is a painting by El Greco, from 1568, now in the National Gallery of Art in Washington, D.C.

See, there's nothing wrong with this painting of Jesus driving the moneychangers from the Temple. More so if you really understand the context. But that meme doesn't really make much sense and I'm not really sure there is any real context to it. How does the gospel account have anything to do with it? Specifically, how are the assembly of politicians in the Temple of God and when/how did they set up PP in it? In the spiritual sense, the cleansing can refer to chasing out the idols from our hearts – – Jesus chasing out the love of money, business exchanges which are obstacles or detract from what God wants, politics, anything that is an idol. Certainly, for some people, support for PP can be an idol for sure. But I'm just not getting it from the meme you posted. It's just a political cartoon really has no true spiritual implications or connections to the gospel account. I'm pretty sure that people who see it will take it politically and think that Jesus officially  endorses a political party.  Bad use of religious imagery. 

2 hours ago, little2add said:

My Lord and Savior, Joe Biden's Lord and Savior (challenge me on this, I'd love to get Scripture involved in the dispute over your ability to read the state of other people's souls), is not a meme. He is the Master of the Universe. He is not some weird right wing folk hero. Christ have mercy.

18 hours ago, cutenickname said:

My Lord and Savior, Joe Biden's Lord and Savior (challenge me on this, I'd love to get Scripture involved in the dispute over your ability to read the state of other people's souls), is not a meme. He is the Master of the Universe. He is not some weird right wing folk hero. Christ have mercy.

The meme is a great examination of conscience. 

Joe Biden claims the Catholic faith, therefore his crimes against the poor should be judged severely.  St Paul commands that we should not even eat and drink with such a one as he. Joe Biden and other abusers of the poor who claim the name "brother" aka Christian, should be glad if they are driven out of the Church with whips. Once outside they will be treated like samaritans and tax collectors : eg with forbearance. Jesus shames and ridicules only 1 group: hypocritical "believers."  As Pope Francis says, better to be an atheist than a hypocritical Christian.  Amen Amen. 

Lest anyone think I am partisan, Trump's face belongs there just as well. Although if he has claimed Christianity I have not heard it, I assume he has at some point. I have seen commercials where Joe Biden goes on and on about his Catholic faith.