An Old School Catholic Message Board

I'm not choosing the lesser of two evils anymore

dUSt

I just wanted Trump to shut up. So much of the problems we have (take a look at cancel culture, shout downs, linguistic imperialism and safe-space culture that emerged from academia and took over the streets) are due to an absolute inability to engage in civil discourse.

And it was painfully obvious that this is a bi-partisan problem.

God help us

Yeah I think you have identified the core problem. In my lifetime I guess I can see the problem starting around the Clinton presidency, and gradually getting worse and worse over time. Probably media has a lot to do with it. It seems that they want these huge conflicts and drama, to get people hooked on TV shows to drive more advertising revenue. Half of "news" shows nowadays are just 4 or 5 "newscasters" sitting down at a table arguing with each other. Its probably no coincidence that the problem seems to have gotten a lot worse along with the widespread use of the internet, social media, and so forth.

Edited by Peace

2 hours ago, Peace said:

OK that debate was a disgrace. I can't bring myself to vote for Trump. Considered it. Some of his policy I agree with. But I just can't vote for this man! He just seems like a despicable human being to me, sorry. Will probably be the ASP candidate again this year. I'm even considering Biden at this point, which I would feel much better about if Amy Coney gets confirmed before the election.

I felt Trump was a despicable person last election.  I voted Trump as the lesser of two evils.  I did not vote “for” Trump. 

Politics has always been uncivil. I like to read biographies and its enlightening to read what went on in revolutionary politics and creating our Constitution.   It’s almost always combative, personal, and ugly. I’m old enough to remember Ford and Carter campaigns.  

Generally, we have exponentially more media sources that are financially required to compete compared to three stations and three or four local papers.   Society is more tolerant and accepting of impolite discourse.   What we call snarky or biting humor was only done verbally in conversation in small groups. Same behavior now is broadcast and printed and relayed almost infinitely. 

Unfortunately, only Biden or Trump will be elected.  One of the two parties will set the agenda for the national political  institutions.  If you have any doubts about Democrats, read their party platform where the pledge to eliminate the Hyde amendment and safeguard abortion as a woman’s health right.    Read the Republican platform where they specifically propose an amendment to recognize persons in the womb as legally protected people.  

Voting ASP now is trying to put icing on a cake after it’s baked to try to fundamentally change it’s flavor.   The ASP party and right to life issues have to be constantly supported to flavor next years cake before it’s baked.  You can’t study one night for the final if you haven’t been doing the course work. 

This year, again, we have only the two poor choices.   At issue is which national party gets to wield the government power.   

5 minutes ago, Anomaly said:

Voting ASP now is trying to put icing on a cake after it’s baked to try to fundamentally change it’s flavor.   The ASP party and right to life issues have to be constantly supported to flavor next years cake before it’s baked.  You can’t study one night for the final if you haven’t been doing the course work. 

This year, again, we have only the two poor choices.   At issue is which national party gets to wield the government power.   

No, there are more than "two poor choices". If a majority of people voted for the ASP candidate, the ASP candidate would win, period. It is your refusal to act that creates the hypothetical situation that you use as an excuse to vote "for the lesser of two evils." We've been though that whole debate 4 years ago.

7 minutes ago, Peace said:

No, there are more than "two poor choices". If a majority of people voted for the ASP candidate, the ASP candidate would win, period. It is your refusal to act that creates the hypothetical situation that you use as an excuse to vote "for the lesser of two evils." We've been though that whole debate 4 years ago.

At this point, the trolley has left the station.  It’s either going to crash into Biden or Trump.    

NOW is the time to do something for the next trolley that will be leaving the station in four years.   NOW is the time to be voting for (in other races, not this one) and supporting parties like ASP or others do that they have time to communicate their alternative message in a viable manner and develop the vocal power bloc.  

Edited by Anomaly

1 hour ago, Anomaly said:

At this point, the trolley has left the station.  It’s either going to crash into Biden or Trump.    

No, you do not know this.

I still have my doubts that this idea of "voting for the lesser of two evils" can be reconciled with Catholicism though. Generally, we cannot do evil so that good may come of it. If a Catholic would generally view voting for Candidate A as a bad act, I don't think he can justify the vote just to avoid a worse candidate B from being elected. I think that at least at a basic level he has to view voting for Candidate A as a good (or morally neutral) act in and of itself, for the vote to be justified.

Like, if it were Hitler versus Stalin running for office, the Catholic would be bound to vote for the ASP candidate, even if his chances of winning were exceedingly low. I don't think you could vote for Stalin just because "He ain't as bad as Hitler."

Edited by Peace

I had a friend post on her FB page that if you vote for Trump you support white supremacy.  Also if you vote for anybody but Biden, you support white supremacy.

I declared that I was voting for her via write in and she could explain to people how voting for her was a vote for white supremacy

I also had a convo with a very liberal friend that told me “You’re pro life you should vote for Trump”. 

So that was interesting

Ash Wednesday
1 hour ago, Jaime said:

I declared that I was voting for her via write in and she could explain to people how voting for her was a vote for white supremacy

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2: