An Old School Catholic Message Board

Prayers for My Brother

tinytherese

My 18 year old brother recently started community college. He's not in a good place right now. He's been abusing substances, spending lots of money in a short amount of time, and lashing out at our mom. He has depression and anxiety. He claims that pot helps his him with mental health issues and insomnia. He's doing this program that he despises after being caught by the authorities with a drug. He doesn't want to do the program anymore, but if he doesn't he'll go to jail for a couple days.

He argued about this with mom. He doesn't care about jail, but mom says that a conviction would prevent him from doing things like getting an apartment. She also informed him that he'll be required to take a drug test when applying for jobs. He responded that he wouldn't apply to those. He doesn't understand that most jobs require that. He insists that all of this is stupid and that the law is dumb. He just can't accept that regardless of how he feels, it's still the law.

tinytherese

Some practical considerations apart from prayers. Your brother's attitude sounds very narcissistic. Of course he is very young and young people tend to be narcissistic so as drug addicts. Yet what bothers me here is how his attitude does not match the attitude of the pot users because usually the pot users are more placid like "its's all rite mate, relax". At least it is what I observed in a very few I knew.

Does this program he is doing includes a work with a psychologist? By what you related it seems to me he has big psychological issues which should be worked on. 

As for anxiety and depression and pot as a cure, cannabis (drug) can make it dull in some people yet in other people it can actually case depression and other huge problems. If you brother claims he does it for medicinal reason that he could switch to the CBD oil that is medicinal cannabis which does not produce "highs" (I suspect he will not though).

I am very sorry to hear about that very difficult situation in your family.

On 9/4/2020 at 6:39 PM, Anastasia said:

tinytherese

Some practical considerations apart from prayers. Your brother's attitude sounds very narcissistic. Of course he is very young and young people tend to be narcissistic so as drug addicts. Yet what bothers me here is how his attitude does not match the attitude of the pot users because usually the pot users are more placid like "its's all rite mate, relax". At least it is what I observed in a very few I knew.

Does this program he is doing includes a work with a psychologist? By what you related it seems to me he has big psychological issues which should be worked on. 

As for anxiety and depression and pot as a cure, cannabis (drug) can make it dull in some people yet in other people it can actually case depression and other huge problems. If you brother claims he does it for medicinal reason that he could switch to the CBD oil that is medicinal cannabis which does not produce "highs" (I suspect he will not though).

I am very sorry to hear about that very difficult situation in your family.

Yes, it's run by a mental health professional. My brother doesn't like him though. I won't repeat the name he called the man. Perhaps he doesn't like to be told what he needs to hear. I don't know the specifics other than that he doesn't like that religion is brought up in the program. I don't know the denomination, perhaps non-denominational Christian. My brother isn't a devout person.

tinytherese
Well, if your brother feels that there is nothing wrong about his lifestyle (and it looks like it) then of course he would not like anyone who tells him he must change, it is quite typical so as swearing. Your brother (and others and their families) is lucky though to have this program and a jail threat because in some other countries there is absolutely nothing and the families of the addicts do not know what to do. I have a friend whose daughter's life was saved via an arrest after a theft and then via putting her into a special place like a rehabilitation-prison which she could not leave. She has spent there five years I think and herslef says it was a right thing for her. 

On 9/9/2020 at 7:23 PM, elizabeth09 said:

How did your brother took it?

He was silent during the lecture. I don't know what happened after that. I'm sure that there are things that my parents haven't shared with me. My brother hardly ever talks to me despite us living in the same house. He's been like that for years though.