An Old School Catholic Message Board

Rings

adoro.te.devote

adoro.te.devote

This might be a weird question,  but of the communities of nuns/Sisters that wear rings, and Consecrated Virgins or female Hermits who wear rings, is it customary for them to be gold, or silver? Which would be more common? Again random question but there is a specific reason I'm asking haha :) thank you! 

Edited by adoro.te.devote

Some communities have a unique ring, designed specifically for them. The sisters who taught me in youth had a silver ring, with a central oval shape and inscribed cross unique to them.

Some who don't have a unique style have a custom of wearing silver or gold, and others allow Sisters to make their own choice. One of my friends wears her deceased father's wedding ring. My own profession ring is gold, with a cross cut into its centre.

There is no single approach.

I also have a question...what jewelry company do religious use, when it comes to getting a ring to present for a final profession? (For those communities that do so)

adoro.te.devote

Thanks!

Does anyone know of a community that has the Sacred Heart on their ring? (I'm not trying to choose a community based on the ring despite it sounding like that haha I'm just researching & trying to understand something :))

Edited by adoro.te.devote

4 hours ago, nikita92 said:

I also have a question...what jewelry company do religious use, when it comes to getting a ring to present for a final profession? (For those communities that do so)

I doubt there is a central jewelry company for any of the hundreds of communities that give rings. Some use local jewelers if the ring is a custom style, some large communities with many locations have agreements with larger production companies, and I know of communities that simply order a plain band from a retailer like Amazon.

sr.christinaosf

I just heard that ours is probably gold.

We re-use ours - when a Sister dies, it can be saved and given to a new sister eventually making vows.

I have the ring that belonged to a sister that I have a special connection with, who I knew as a postulant and novice.

21 minutes ago, sr.christinaosf said:

I just heard that ours is probably gold.

We re-use ours - when a Sister dies, it can be saved and given to a new sister eventually making vows.

I have the ring that belonged to a sister that I have a special connection with, who I knew as a postulant and novice.

One of my dear friends, a Dominican, wears the ring of a sister who died shortly before she made her perpetual vows. Interestingly (to me), this deceased sister (she lived to be 102!) was also someone I also knew quite well, and loved dearly. I didn't learn about the ring for some time afterward, but I think we were destined to be friends.

11 hours ago, Pax17 said:

There is an order (I don't remember which one) whose sisters wear rings made of wood.

I know several communities giving wooden rings to their sisters until final vows - somewhat like engagement rings - and golden or silver ones when they profess final vows. 

Outside of the wooden rings, is there some sort of financial "fund" set aside for these Gold/Silver final profession rings to be purchased?

(Provided they are not recycled..but then there is a sizing cost incurred I would imagine)

Remember that it has been years - but, unless someone was wearing the ring of a deceased Sister, most of us received our rings as a present from our families. We did not have a unique style - it wasn't unusual for someone to wear a ring of a deceased relative, but many others were new. There used to be many jewellers (this long before the Internet - but some were local, others had catalogues) who offered religious jewellery of many kinds. It is possible, though I do not know, that there still are religious shops online.

AveMariaPurissima

Obviously prices have gone up since then, but in A Right to be Merry, Mother Mary Francis says that "A Poor Clare abbess...wears the same little wedding ring ($2.50 net) as her daughters."

The book was originally published in 1956, and according to a chart I found, $2.50 in 1956 would be worth about $24 in 2020.