An Old School Catholic Message Board

Rings

adoro.te.devote

adoro.te.devote

I totally agree that new age stuff is rubbish and the Church is against it

Supporting communities in union with Rome is kind of an obedience thing for me... avoiding new age is a matter of correct doctrine which is of course important too

4 hours ago, PaxCordisJesu said:

The Sisters of Carmel aren't in communion with the Church?

This topic was discussed some yours ago on this forum:

2 hours ago, adoro.te.devote said:

Supporting communities in union with Rome is kind of an obedience thing for me...

I do understand your position.

Sister Leticia
On 9/24/2020 at 4:29 PM, Nunsuch said:

On 9/24/2020 at 12:48 PM, gloriana35 said:

I've seen advertisements for rings that have emblems of the Sacred Heart. (These must be relatively popular - the ads pop up on Facebook.) They are available online.  

I know various communities were dedicated to the Sacred Heart, but have no idea if they have such emblems on their profession rings.

Hello, I've just signed back in after a while, and see that Nunsuch tagged me in this thread. I've quickly read some of the responses, so this is a brief summary of the replies I'd have given if I'd been here for most of the discussion...

We wear plain silver rings, which don't cost a lot - but are precious to us. They can be inherited from a dead sister, or bought new. I know one sister whose ring was bought as a profession gift by the youth group she worked with at the time. I bought mine in a place which is very dear to me, where I spent some time before going to probation (our preparation for perpetual vows) so it holds a lot of people and their stories within it. 

Many of the religious orders here in the UK wear plain silver rings, too. I know a couple with "customised" gold rings, but these are quite a dull, old kind of gold. No bling for us!

As for these rings with the Sacred Heart... I know some of our schools in the US give special rings to their graduating students. Maybe some of them decide they don't want to hold on to these rings, and sell them? 

And I would add a word of warning/caution about some of these sites selling "religious jewellery". We recently discovered someone out there on Etsy selling old Sacred Heart profession crosses (which he describes as pectoral crosses) for several hundred dollars each. We're not sure how exactly he has come by them... but it is distressing to think that crosses given at perpetual vows and worn for decades by women living those vows in fidelity and love, should now be "jewellery", or some sort of display piece, to be bought and sold. There is only one price which should be paid for our rings and our crosses - and it isn't monetary.

Years ago, I remember, in one of Betty MacDonald's memoirs, that she wrote about how, during (I believe) the War, her family (not devout) had a silver cross that had been the profession cross of a relative who was an Anglican Sister. Her sister, Mary, was wearing it because she thought it looked smart with a dress.

I very much dislike anyone's wearing a profession cross as if it were jewellery. Perhaps I'll wear mine in my coffin, unless I know it will be treated with reverence in my memory.