An Old School Catholic Message Board

Dominicans

sista2b

yeah, i've seen pictures of those dominicans. one had a ribbon and was dancing....

please visit either Nashville or Ann Arbor
check thier web-sites at least even that will help
i don't know Nashville's but Ann Arbor's is
www.sistersofmary.org

FaustinaVianney

Yes, unfortunately there are liberals in every order, some more than others though. The Nasville Sisters are everywhere, so visiting them at a 'mission' house should be easy, but the Motherhouse is way cool! there is at least 130 sisters there! It's so awesome to see such happy orthodox sisters in habits!

Saint...Someday :)

If there was ever an anti-liberal order, Nashville is it. I have to say, their orthodoxy is what drew me in!

[quote name='FaustinaVianney' date='Jul 5 2004, 02:53 PM'] I'm starting to not like the rule that one must be Catholic for 2 years before entering. [/quote]
Wow. I didin't know that there was that rule in place.

Look at it this way, future Sister Faustina Vianney (your students are going to have a hard time spelling that! :), I will be one of the novices when you enter! You can laugh at us as we learn to fold our mantles for the first time, trip up the stairs in our habits for the first time, etc. What a great gift of time you have!

In all seriousness, I know it's hard to wait, especially when you know where God wants you to go. But hopefully, by the time you enter in a year, the new part of our house will be done. :)

Edited by Saint...Someday :)

FaustinaVianney

I think I need to clarify what I meant. I was rereading my post and well.. anyways, from what I have read and heard they aren't really any liberals in Ann Arbor or Nashville, but a few in the Dominican Order, which smells of elderberries because the Dominican motto is 'Veritas.'

Saint Someday~I am so jealous! While I was in school I was okay with the waiting, but now that I have graduated I cannot wait to give up all my things so that I can be with my sisters! I am so excited for you though! Sister said that there is quite a few supposed to be entering! Oh, how exciting! I'm hoping to be there for the fall retreat since I will be in Rome during the Jan vocation retreat --God Willing of course...Many prayers!!!

*HUGs-n-PEACE*

i'm 18 entering this year
FaustinaVianney's 2...3 right? entering next year
we have a friend who's entering the Passionists this year and shes 19
i don't know of ne one else

Future Sister Faustina Vianney! Rome in January is awesome; there are so few tourists! You know...if you go to St. Peters really early (like 6:30 AM), the place is pretty empty and there are tons of morning masses going on at the side altars. It's really great because you can see what St. Peter's 'feels like' without all the tourists. You might also want to get the Dominican Pilgrimage guide from Sister Catherine Marie. I took it with me this past summer and it was great. You are so blessed to have that opportunity, and you must bring photos with you when you enter in fall 2005! I am betting that Sister Mary Angela will have us sit in on the talks for the fall retreat, so maybe I will be able to meet you before then!

Onto the other questions...

I am 24 (which really seems old on Phatmass, but... :)

[quote]SO how do you know that ur being called?[/quote]

It's a thought that [b]does not go away[/b] !

When I was in college, I was always thinking about the religious life from the standpoint that 'it's great but not for me' :) That thinking changed when I found a really great spiritual director, who challenged me with what I wanted to do with my life. From that point, I decided to pray as much as I could this simple prayer: 'Mary, my vocation is yours. Help me to love Jesus more.' I would have to say, it's been pretty successful!

I think that the choice between marriage, consecrated virginity and the religious life all demand the same qualities from a person, and finding the 'one' that is right for you basically takes time and knowledge of self. For me, I knew that I would be happy as a married person, since many of my friends have embraced this vocation path for their lives.

But once I got honest with myself (and God! :) I knew that God might be calling me to love Him in a different way, thus I am headed to Nashville. I also was given the gift of self-knowledge early on in discernment, and through that knowledge of my strengths and weaknesses, I realized that God had really equipped me with the ability to love Him in this radical way. This knowledge also helped me to rule out the life of a consecrated virgin. While I hate to rely on feelings, the religious life with a community attracted me like no other. And when I really began to feel this 'pull' toward it, I resisted because I was dating a really great guy...who incidentally ended up in the seminary. I love God's sense of humor. :)

The other thing is again with the feelings. Nashville 'felt' like home. It's hard to describe, and I didn't just walk through the front door thinking that it was. It actually took a couple of trips to realize that what I wanted was what God wanted...and that Nashville was the place. It really was the community life that attracted me; the genuine joy of the sisters. Of course, anyone can fake joy for a day or so, but I was there for almost a week, and well, the sisters are genuinely happy living together.

As for advice, I would encourage you to keep praying, specifically thinking about loving Jesus more each day. Eucharistic adoration, even for small amounts of time is so helpful, and being silent in His presence. I know that I fell in love with Him when I was at school, in an empty, silent but beautiful chapel. A spiritual director, preferably a priest or sister, will really help you too. Finally, trust Him. He loves you so much!

Though the road is sometimes rough on the vocational discernment path, keep going! It's well worth it! :)

FaustinaVianney

Saint~ Yeah I know Rome is gonna be awesome at that time because it is the 'off-season.' I think that is why my ticket was so CHEAP! I am still in disbelief that the Good Lord would give me, of all people, such a gift! I have a priest-friend that is from Rome and is trying to hook me up with a place to stay. And a seminarian-friend is going to be there the same time as me. He lived there for 5 months, so he said we could meet up and he would show me around. What a blessing!! I'm sure we will meet before before Aug '05. I usually call Sister Catherine Marie and ask if I can stay for a weekend visit. I have actually never been to the sisters on a retreat...Don't you just love Sr Mary Angela?? The last time I was there was in Jan and the Titans were still in the playoffs, so we HAD to watch that game. We had a little party with the leftover candy, chips, popcorn, etc from Christmas. It was a great time! At the little shindig I got to talk with Sr Mary Sabina and Sr Marie Rose. Those two are SOO awesome. In case you don't them they are first year black veils (soon to be 2nd year yay!), so they are still in the novitiate.

As far as knowing you are being called...it is different for everyone, but mainly it is a constant longing in the heart of wanting more love than any person can give you. It is a desire to freely give yourself away to the good Lord. I would still love to be a mother even though I know Rel Life is for me, but at the same time I know that I could never give the amount of love needed to my spouse. Not that I wouldn't love my spouse, but my soul desires to be in union with the Lord soo much of my time and when I don't spend all that time with the Lord whether it be in heartfelt prayer or helping others, or sacrificing for others I do not feel as if I am a complete person. God gave me a perfect mate ('cept he was protestant) and it was at that moment that I knew Rel Life was for me and I started writing communities. This guy and I were two peas in a pod. We thought along the same lines, had the same values, had lots of fun together, but I knew I needed more than what a human is able to give. I needed to be able to give my self completely to the Lord.

That prolly isn't the best-worded answer, but that is how I feel/felt. I hope it helps in the least little bit! God Bless!!

Future Sister Faustina Vianney... :)

Another thing I would do (and book now!) is the SCAVI tour under St. Peters. It is a guided tour that very few people get to see (because it's booked so long in advance & the groups are very small--20/30 people.) It shows very early Christian tombs, many non-Christian tombs and (the grand finale) St. Peter's tomb and his actual bones. [i]It was the best thing I ever did in the Eternal City![/i] If you need help doing this, feel free to email me and I will write the email for you in Italian (the head-booking-guy said that he remembered us the best because we were [i]Americans[/i] who spoke Italian. Go figure! You can also write it in English, but I knew I needed an 'edge' because there were 6 of us and it was the height of the tourist season!

I love Sister Mary Angela. I really hope that Mother doesn't ever even think of moving her to another assignment...I want her as my novice mistress! She is absolutely hysterical. Also, one of my friends will soon be in that 2nd year black veil group with Sister Mary Sabina & Marie Rose: Sister John Agnes, OP and I went to school together at the University of Illinois (a long time ago). Never did I once think that we would be sisters in the same congregation!

If you do come to Nashville this fall, feel free to introduce yourself to Sister Julie. That will be me...in 2 weeks! :)

Edited by Saint...Someday :)

Also if you have a connection with the Jesuits any way they have a Jesuit Gues Bureau in Rome that arranges things i.e. Papal Audience, Tours, etc. but you need to have a solid connection with the Society of Jesus.

FaustinaVianney

Thanks for telling me about the SCAVI. My Father's dad (I call a great priest-friend my father since my own father pretty much rejects me and Father helps me with most everything...long story) was telling me that I had to go on that tour. So, I'm looking into it.

I remember Sr John Agnes, but I don't think we really talked. I've met soo many sisters that it is hard to keep 'em all straight..hehe

I graduated from a Jesuit school, but I pretty much stayed away from any type of worship and Religious on my campus. (I flocked to the Dominican Friars' parish, whcih I am going to the novices' profession of vows on the 15th..yay!) So, unless the Dominican Sister's chaplain wants to hook me up I won't be able to go throgh the Jesuits...