Jump to content

Am I the only person who actually DISAGREES with Father Altman's video?


HumilityAndPatience

Recommended Posts

BarbaraTherese

Stop Press:  The following should read "Jesus told us "Fools! You read the signs of the times, but cannot read the signs of the times". 

It should read as follows: "Jesus told us "Fools! You read the signs of the weather - tomorrow it will be windy and rain etc., but cannot read the signs of the times".   I don't think we can anymore, if we ever did indeed.

No need really, for any panic etc. etc.  Thank The Lord that He is the Head of The Church "and the gates of hell shall not prevail" against His Church.

Quotes above are paraphrasing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • cutenickname

    26

  • Peace

    19

  • Ash Wednesday

    14

  • HumilityAndPatience

    13

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And I also think the cult of personality following of him, or any priest or podcaster for that matter, has to stop. I came across an image on twitter where someone photoshopped him and other prominent

Other than his wealth, Trump strikes me as the average American white person, frankly. 60% of white Americans voted for Trump in 2016. It's not like he is some anomaly that thinks so much worse than t

I think using other people (like Altman and his video) as an excuse to not be in the Church is dishonest for the most part. There are times where the causation can be quite direct, such as victims of

Ash Wednesday

I don't know if the board gets notifications on my editing but I clicked the topic header and it flipped out and added in the url in the topic header on accident. So in case anyone wonders, my mouse just kind of freaked out and I edited it just to revert it to the original topic header.  Didn't want anyone to think I was doing anything sketchy to modify the original post.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm just not keen on 'dissident priests'. Fr. Altman seems to be spending most of his time criticising Church hierarchy, instead of preaching the Gospel, or if he does preach it, he uses it to attack Church hierarchy.

And yes, I know, there are plenty of liberal leaning clerg, who spend their time twisting Church teaching, or even speaking out against it, to fit in with their ideological view. That shouldn't be tolerated either. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Clean Water

This "priest" literally preached homilies saying Black people were justified being lynched in the past. It's too bad that isn't a deal breaker for more Catholics. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Clean Water
15 minutes ago, Polak said:

I'm not a great fan of his, but can you present me with a clip of him saying black people deserved to be lynched? I haven't heard him say that.

"The homily, titled 'Racism and What We Are Not Told' was posted on July 3rd.

Had someone played it without context, I probably would have thought it was from a KKK rally.

In it, Altman proceeds to say that his homily is addressed to 'low information individuals who can’t properly string words together to form a sentence'. He predictably says that systemic racism is a lie, that Black men disproportionately commit crimes, that everyone who was lynched was either a rapist or a killer, and then pushes a false equivalence fallacy about the deaths of White union soldiers vs the number of Black men who were lynched."

https://www.blackcatholicmessenger.com/racism-and-what-we-are-not-told/

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, let's keep things in context and stick with what was actually said.

I have posted a link to the video below (the sermon goes from the 32nd minute to the 48th), so you can check it out.

At around 33 mins Fr. Altman more or less says 'the truth of facts is going to enrage a certain chunk of people, low information people'. There is no way of knowing if he is talking about black people, but I suspect he isn't. He probably means leftists, because he talks about the leftist mainstream narrative right before he says that. He therefore is likely to be speaking about people who watch and believe the left-wing media. He later talked about them not being able to string together words to formulate an intelligible sentence, but once again, he doesn't say he is talking about black people, although he does refer to looters later, who may have been mostly black, although I don't know, I heard there were a lot of white antifa thugs in there too.

He actually talks about the equality of races in the sermon and repeats this, saying that if schools taught the Catechism, people would understand there is no room for racism. Nothing about white people being better or black people deserving anything bad. He also says if there was systemic racism, it would be a bad thing, but he doesn't think there is.

He says there is a disproportionate amount of incarceration of blacks, but also a disproportionate amount of crime committed by black people. I wouldn't say that's an attack on black people, although I don't think a priest of any colour should be going into race related stats in sermons. It just doesn't seem to be the place to do it, during a church service.

He said lynchings took place against black and white people and were mostly done to criminals, although then does say it (obviously) wasn't a good thing, because it was basically capital punishment carried about by mobs.

I don't have much knowledge about the white union soldiers stuff as I'm not from the USA. 

Personally I don't think it was a great topic for a sermon, but he didn't say anything as bad as what is claimed. His main gripe seems to be with the left, talking about the leftist media and how most of those who owned slaves were Democrats (so it's political too. We know how much he doesn't like Democrats). He's obviously a very right leaning priest, and I don't think priests should be making their political leanings obvious in sermons, that's why I disagree with a lot of what he is doing.

I would however suggest watching the actual homily (or if you have, rewatching it) and not just reading an opinion piece about it.

PS, it disturbs me a little that you have a Black Lives Matter hashtag in your profile photo. You know that movement espouses many non-Catholic views, and in fact, anti-Catholic views, right?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Polak said:

Well, let's keep things in context and stick with what was actually said.

I have posted a link to the video below (the sermon goes from the 32nd minute to the 48th), so you can check it out.

At around 33 mins Fr. Altman more or less says 'the truth of facts is going to enrage a certain chunk of people, low information people'. There is no way of knowing if he is talking about black people, but I suspect he isn't. He probably means leftists, because he talks about the leftist mainstream narrative right before he says that. He therefore is likely to be speaking about people who watch and believe the left-wing media. He later talked about them not being able to string together words to formulate an intelligible sentence, but once again, he doesn't say he is talking about black people, although he does refer to looters later, who may have been mostly black, although I don't know, I heard there were a lot of white antifa thugs in there too.

He actually talks about the equality of races in the sermon and repeats this, saying that if schools taught the Catechism, people would understand there is no room for racism. Nothing about white people being better or black people deserving anything bad. He also says if there was systemic racism, it would be a bad thing, but he doesn't think there is.

He says there is a disproportionate amount of incarceration of blacks, but also a disproportionate amount of crime committed by black people. I wouldn't say that's an attack on black people, although I don't think a priest of any colour should be going into race related stats in sermons. It just doesn't seem to be the place to do it, during a church service.

He said lynchings took place against black and white people and were mostly done to criminals, although then does say it (obviously) wasn't a good thing, because it was basically capital punishment carried about by mobs.

I don't have much knowledge about the white union soldiers stuff as I'm not from the USA. 

Personally I don't think it was a great topic for a sermon, but he didn't say anything as bad as what is claimed. His main gripe seems to be with the left, talking about the leftist media and how most of those who owned slaves were Democrats (so it's political too. We know how much he doesn't like Democrats). He's obviously a very right leaning priest, and I don't think priests should be making their political leanings obvious in sermons, that's why I disagree with a lot of what he is doing.

I would however suggest watching the actual homily (or if you have, rewatching it) and not just reading an opinion piece about it.

PS, it disturbs me a little that you have a Black Lives Matter hashtag in your profile photo. You know that movement espouses many non-Catholic views, and in fact, anti-Catholic views, right?

 

He just strikes me as a bit too political for a priest perhaps. At some point your politics start influencing your religion, but it must be your religion that influences your politics.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Ash Wednesday
4 hours ago, Clean Water said:

Black men disproportionately commit crimes, that everyone who was lynched was either a rapist or a killer,

Specifically, this was the bit that I referenced previously that I found highly insensitive. He said this as if black people were given any kind of right to due process or fair trial. The level of ignorance in that statement was just stunning. 
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
ReasonableFaith

If one were to track down Altman’s lynching source at NAACP.com it becomes obvious his assertions are taken out of context and are misrepresentation at best.

One of the salient point of his specific quoted source states:

‘Many victims of lynchings were murdered without being accused of any crime. They were killed for violating social customs or racial expectations, such as speaking to white people with less respect than what white people believed they were owed.’

This is in direct contradiction to one of the main points of his talk. Other portions of the quoted source point out the lynchings of ‘non-blacks’ were often associated with those attempting to oppose white supremacy or were members of unfavored immigrant groups.  
 

This particular misrepresentation is only one aspect of Altman’s talk. It may be safe to infer the presence of other misrepresentations or outright falsehoods. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Ash Wednesday said:

Specifically, this was the bit that I referenced previously that I found highly insensitive. He said this as if black people were given any kind of right to due process or fair trial. The level of ignorance in that statement was just stunning. 
 

yeah that's wack. Of course he shouldn't be allowed to say things like that, but it's also frustrating that people can say really confusing things about homosexuality, remarriage and be really soft on pro-abortion politicians with impunity. It is rather one-sided. 

The church leadership in the West is so feckless and downright pathetic. If level-minded and faithful priests and bishops were standing up for the truth more, I don't think Fr. Altman would be that appealing in the first. But since so many religious are just bending the knee to the zeitgeist, this is what we get.

We probably deserve all of this.

Religion aside, I'm sick of the discourse on the right trailing behind. When the left says the US is and always has been a racist hellhole why do people want to swoop in with some revisionist history of their own and say "actually it was not that bad and most people who were lynched probably deserved it."

What the hell?

We just can't have nice things at this point. Nice things are banned.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



It costs about $850 a year for Phatmass.com to survive–and we barely make it. If you’d like to help keep the Phorum alive, please consider a monthly gift.



×
×
  • Create New...