An Old School Catholic Message Board

It's official: Amy Coney Barrett is the Supreme Court nominee.

Ash Wednesday

I don’t think that she will get in. Too many people are illogical and can’t reconcile rights and responsibilities. Politics are mostly emotional manipulation.  

Democrats and Republicans have chosen abortion as a fundamental issue of their parties.  It’s now about choosing a rude egomaniac vs civil group think. 

Over 800,000 abortions are performed every year.  It’s okay to kill a person seconds after emerging from the womb because they’re inconvenient. Somehow that isn’t as bad as dna tests to hold fathers liable or 8,000 deaths in a questionable war or perceived societal injustices. 

How about:  No Life, No Justice?

I’ve already seen web news headlines. “Barrett would restrict the rights of millions.”

They are already breaking out the references to Handmaid's Tale, right on cue. 

And here come the lava hot takes from the experts that "grew up Catholic" and "went to Catholic school" and they're here to question Barrett's Catholicism. 

willy-wonka.jpg

8 hours ago, Anomaly said:

I don’t think that she will get in. Too many people are illogical and can’t reconcile rights and responsibilities. Politics are mostly emotional manipulation.  

Democrats and Republicans have chosen abortion as a fundamental issue of their parties.  It’s now about choosing a rude egomaniac vs civil group think. 

Over 800,000 abortions are performed every year.  It’s okay to kill a person seconds after emerging from the womb because they’re inconvenient. Somehow that isn’t as bad as dna tests to hold fathers liable or 8,000 deaths in a questionable war or perceived societal injustices. 

How about:  No Life, No Justice?

I’ve already seen web news headlines. “Barrett would restrict the rights of millions.”

I will take that bet. How much you got. 

Dems would need 100% party unity and 4 Republican defections to stop her.  They have had 2 defections more likely abstentions. The representative from west Virginia (D) has more or less said he will vote for her as he did when she came up for the federal bench in... I think 2017. 

No sex crime allegations will be coming up this time.

59 minutes ago, Lilllabettt said:

Let's hope not but I've stopped being surprised by the democrats

On 9/27/2020 at 5:10 PM, Lilllabettt said:

Not against women but I wouldn't put anything past the Dems. Child abuse allegation? Member of a religious cult? We'll see what they come up with.

Sure, they know that they are going to lose, but they'll raise whatever drama they can out of it for whatever political gain they think they can get. It will be interesting to see what happens but yeah I agree with you - Trump has the votes.

Democratic senators and liberal advocates only oppose her, because of her religious faith.  
In particular, her opposition to  abortion rights and her record  supposedly invalidating the Affordable Care Act.

that being said, if she is appointed she could have a 1 in 9 say in interpreting the existing legislation.  

what’s the big deal?  By all accounts “Barrett” is a fair minded person and a component Judge with a long proven track record.  

so what gives?

Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 prohibits employers from discriminating against individuals because of their religion(or lack of religious belief) in hiring, firing, or any other terms and conditions of employment.

Somehow Trump is to blame for all the ills of the world including the picking a a Supreme Court judge. 

Tonight’s presidential debate should be interesting 

Edited by little2add

I am guessing a last minute charge of racism? Those are pretty easy to fabricate.

Witness X: At an unknown place, at an unknown time, with unknown people present, Amy Coney called me a n****r!

Senator Corey Booker: I believe him! He is speaking his truth!

14 hours ago, Peace said:

I am guessing a last minute charge of racism? Those are pretty easy to fabricate.

Witness X: At an unknown place, at an unknown time, with unknown people present, Amy Coney called me a n****r!

Believe all...  senators?  No, that doesn't work...  Believe all... leftist accusers?  Yeah, that'll do the trick!

I still haven't read through the whole thing yet but here's this:

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2020/09/why-amy-coney-barrett-should-not-be-on-the-supreme-court/

On 9/29/2020 at 9:39 AM, Peace said:

My wife says I'm a nagger all the time.  She'd really like it if I toned down the nagging

I'm sick of political adds that talk about how politicians don't support women if they don't support abortion. Why don't Republicans team up with pro-life groups like Support After Abortion to create adds about why abortion hurts instead of helps women?

One resource I recommend not just to politicians but to anybody is "Real Choices: Listening to Women, Looking for Alternatives to Abortion by Frederica Matthewes-Green".

Edited by tinytherese
More to Add

On 10/4/2020 at 4:40 PM, Lil Red said:

I still haven't read through the whole thing yet but here's this:

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2020/09/why-amy-coney-barrett-should-not-be-on-the-supreme-court/

Wow, that's a smear article if I ever read one.  Nothing but hearsay and propaganda and playing on emotions.  I guess I can add Current Affairs to the list (including CNN, MSNBC, Fox News, ABC News, Vox, Slate, WAPO, NYT, and so, so many others).

In all honesty, this is the first time I've ever been to the Current Affairs website.  It'll probably be the last, too.

Also, Phteven is amesome.  Just saying.