An Old School Catholic Message Board

It's official: Amy Coney Barrett is the Supreme Court nominee.

Ash Wednesday

24 minutes ago, Didacus said:

Correction: she is already a 'good judge'... she will be ome a great Justice!

Correction: she will be "one" great Justice.

Now do we really need to go around correcting each other when both of us know plenty well what the other meant?

Edited by Peace

2 hours ago, Peace said:

Correction: she will be "one" great Justice.

Now do we really need to go around correcting each other when both of us know plenty well what the other meant?

But i have so precious few moments.  :sad:

Confirmed. Trump and the GOP stuck to their guns on that one. You have to give them credit for getting that one through under the circumstances.

Personally I am very happy about the new "conservative" majority on the court.

I put "conservative" in quotes because Gorsuch, Kavanaugh, and Roberts are subject to flip (especially Kavanaugh in my opinion) but at least it looks like it is going to be difficult for the liberal wing to find a solid majority on most opinions for years to come.

1 hour ago, Peace said:

Confirmed. Trump and the GOP stuck to their guns on that one. You have to give them credit for getting that one through under the circumstances.

Personally I am very happy about the new "conservative" majority on the court.

I put "conservative" in quotes because Gorsuch, Kavanaugh, and Roberts are subject to flip (especially Kavanaugh in my opinion) but at least it looks like it is going to be difficult for the liberal wing to find a solid majority on most opinions for years to come.

democrats will add more seats if elected. I am 90% sure of this

5 minutes ago, Ice_nine said:

democrats will add more seats if elected. I am 90% sure of this

It would not surprise me if they tried, but I think they will have trouble getting it through the senate. Even if they get a majority of the senate, I think the GOP should be able to flip at least a few dems, given how crazy court-packing is politically.

But we shall see.

9 hours ago, Peace said:

Seems like there is strong public opposition to packing the court, even among Dems.

Apparently there is also the obscure option of Congress limitimg thwnscope of thensupreme court and preventing classes of cases of being heard altogether sich as abortion... of course.

Ash Wednesday

Honestly the confirmation process wasn't the dumpster fire that I feared given what happened with Kavanaugh. And this was much quicker than I expected. 

53 minutes ago, Ash Wednesday said:

Honestly the confirmation process wasn't the dumpster fire that I feared given what happened with Kavanaugh. And this was much quicker than I expected. 

Not to be sexist, but you think that might be a bit because ACB is a woman?

Ash Wednesday
2 hours ago, Didacus said:

Not to be sexist, but you think that might be a bit because ACB is a woman?

Not sexist at all. Definitely they had to be really careful about not being too hostile to her. Possibly also this being just before the election as well. She wouldn't have had any accusations about misconduct with men. Maybe she's not much of a beer drinker either. ;)