An Old School Catholic Message Board

Australian Redemptoristines

bmb144

I am pleased to let discerning ladies know that the Order of the Most Holy Redeemer (Redemptoristines) have a woman currently living in and are open to those who wish to investigate and try their vocation with them. While usually the age cut off is 50, the sisters understand that sometimes things out of one's control, such as the care of aging parents etc do happen, so the sisters are happy to talk to more mature discerners over the age limit. 

Here is the revamped unofficial website http://cloisters.tripod.com/au_ossr_bolwarra/

The site now has their vocation information. They are best contacted for the first time via written letter to the Rev Mother, so you can receive their vocation information pack. The contact address is on the website. 

Do they have an official website.  Not sure why the website is unofficial.  And no photos of any actual nuns.  How many sisters do they have. What work do they do.  

When the website was updated many of the pictures did not transfer over. The monastic gallery on the website does still work and gives a sense of part of their life. As the sisters did not put the website together, they do not take the credit for it. This is why it's deemed to be unofficial. 

The sisters are papally cloistered, contemplative nuns. They recite the liturgy of the hours 7 times a day, daily Mass and adoration. The make hosts as part of their work. Currently there are 3 finally vowed sisters, one lady who is living in with them, trying the life and there are others in discussion with them. 

I have been discerning with them for some time now and their founder Blessed Maria Celeste Crostarosa was the focus, with their permission, of a research unit for my masters and my Masters degree thesis on spiritual union. I am happy to answer any questions and if I don't know, I will ask Rev Mother and then answer. The sisters have walked with me over an extended period of time now. I am very grateful for their support, encouragement and assistance. I look forward to the day when I will enter there. 

Thanks for posting this community - they are not too far from where I used to live in Sydney! 

Also: this community are very much recognised and established in the Dicoese of Maitland-Newcastle.

I flag this fact as their new website was created by Gemma from Cloister Outreach - an organisation that has been discussed on these forums with questionable standing.

The Redemptoristines are not a foundation of Cloister Outreach, the website was created as a tribute to them. 

Just wanted to clear that up! The red and blue habits are very striking :) 

Yes, I have brought up the website a couple of times but the sisters don't have the Tech experience or money to get a professional website done. For now they are happy to have the site they have and later that might change. 

Yes but there is a significant difference between how the Irish sisters live the life and how the Australian sisters live it. The Irish sisters live a slightly more modernised version especially when you look at how the separation during prayer is done and the habit. The Australian sisters cannot be directly seen by those in the chapel and usually remain behind both chapel and visitor grills and still wear the double veil and most of the traditional habit. The variation is that due to the heat, the sisters are not allowed to wear the wimple. Whereas the Irish sisters are wearing an updated version of the habit and no double veil. The habit symbolism is very important in the order. The Foundress, Blessed Maria Celeste Crostarosa, in the constitutions of the order, section XIX, is very specific about what was to be worn, why and how so to make sure that all the sisters conformed to what she had received in instruction from Jesus. 

I was privileged to be able to access copies of the rules and constitutions of the order during my Master degree studies as I did a stand alone research project directly on Blessed Maria Celeste and my master thesis as a comparison of the writing of Blessed Maria Celeste and St Margaret Mary on spiritual union. 

I was interested to read the vocation stories on the Irish Redemptorist nuns website. I think that is a great feature because it gives folk an insight into the community. I must say I hardly know anything about the Redemptorists or their way of life. 

The order is not as well known but the spirituality is very rich. It's one of the reasons why I posted as the order as a whole needs good vocations and with the possibility of those older being welcome, over 35's need to know that. 

On 10/7/2020 at 4:28 PM, bmb144 said:

The order is not as well known but the spirituality is very rich. It's one of the reasons why I posted as the order as a whole needs good vocations and with the possibility of those older being welcome, over 35's need to know that. 

Yes, I was quite happy to see this order getting some attention on here. Blessings on your discernment. 

• 1 month later...
Hopefull-Future-Nun

I discerned with this order a few years ago and they were very lovely, although it wasn’t for me.  It was back in 2016 and they had 3 professed Sisters at that time. Thank you for providing the new information about them as I wasn’t sure if they were still there.